Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 04:44 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times

Advertisements

Same as I told one of the young men that
used to work for me, when he complained
of someone being unkind or unfair:
Grow some thicker skin.

A friend of mine noted that, in addition to other
frailties women and older people have, our skin
gets thinner. It isn't an "ism" it is reality.

He was talking literally, of course, as we
were patching up our recent wounds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 04:44 PM

6,301 posts, read 4,199,353 times
Wasn’t able to read the article but it doesn’t sound like they really addressed the insidious forms of ageism that impacts us directly or indirectly in the job market, health care for example. So often people have not experienced it think it boils down to perception and easily taking offense which sadly obscures a real problem. It’s the “it hasn’t ever happened to me and therefore it’s not a problem” syndrome.

Ageism in Silicon Valley has been blatant.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:08 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times
Quote:
but it doesn’t sound like they really addressed the insidious forms of ageism that impacts us directly or indirectly in the job market, health care for example. So often people have not experienced it think it boils down to perception and easily taking offense which sadly obscures a real problem.
Actually, I agree with you, but the thin skinned whiners
get all the attention, which is why many people need to
grow some thicker skin.

There are real problems in the real world, but most
of what people complain about isn't the problem.

(BTW, I am retired because, while there are some
jobs I could do, even with my disabilities, there are
none I could get hired for.)

Old 05-21-2019, 05:22 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Then again, I don't have a lot of trust for younger people. I am sure I had a bias towards hiring older workers.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:48 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Wasn’t able to read the article but it doesn’t sound like they really addressed the insidious forms of ageism that impacts us directly or indirectly in the job market, health care for example. So often people have not experienced it think it boils down to perception and easily taking offense which sadly obscures a real problem. It’s the “it hasn’t ever happened to me and therefore it’s not a problem” syndrome.

Ageism in Silicon Valley has been blatant.
Yes, but you’ve found people like Fluffy’s husband who is still working, until recently at least, at the ripe old age of 60something. My cousin who is just a software engineer in Silicon Valley is still working at age 65. Female to boot and old.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:51 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Actually, I agree with you, but the thin skinned whiners
get all the attention, which is why many people need to
grow some thicker skin.

There are real problems in the real world, but most
of what people complain about isn't the problem.

(BTW, I am retired because, while there are some
jobs I could do, even with my disabilities, there are
none I could get hired for.)
They better do or they will die sooner than their natural age.
My mother was a handicap almost her whole life. I never heard she complained about anything. I’m a sissy compared to her level of perseverance.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:58 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,114,555 times
I think there is more to life than being offended by other people's rudeness.

We all know how we feel inside. Sometimes I feel pretty darned good, loving life, enjoying the beauty of nature.

But there are also days when I don't feel well, period.

The only time I can recall being bothered is coming out of eye surgery some chipper nurse kept referring to me in every sweet word she could think of. I reminded her what my name is and to remember it.

She didn't like it too much but then I didn't like what she was doing either.

Old 05-21-2019, 05:58 PM

3,272 posts, read 3,935,073 times
I've dealt with sexism my whole life. Women constantly chatting me up, offering to buy me drinks or dinner or cars.

In a happily married man, damn it.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:12 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,390,372 times
In my experience the black balloon thing was for people on their 40th birthday.

In the 80s AARP realized that because the birth rate was low in the depression years there were fewer people to sign up for membership. They addressed that by proclaiming that 50 year-olds were seniors. The media ate it up and still do today. The depression and war 2 babies are the invisible generation.

As the boomers retire there is a generation gap growing in retirement communities. As their numbers increase the Boomers tend to take over and the "Invisible generation" is relegated to the fringe until they die off. The two groups commonly have many very different tastes.

The "Invisible generation" is largely non-existent to marketers and the media.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:39 PM

6,301 posts, read 4,199,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Yes, but you’ve found people like Fluffy’s husband who is still working, until recently at least, at the ripe old age of 60something. My cousin who is just a software engineer in Silicon Valley is still working at age 65. Female to boot and old.
Presenting a few examples don’t make up for the overall ageism in the tech industry.

“The median age of an American worker is 42. Yet at Facebook it's 29, Google 30, Apple 31, Amazon 30 and Microsoft 33, according to self-reported employee data collected by research firm PayScale last year. (It did not collect data this year.) Most job candidates at those companies are 25 to 34 years old, according to data collected by Glassdoor, a jobs and recruiting website.

As the population ages, discrimination in hiring and on the job is becoming more pronounced not only in Silicon Valley but in tech hubs throughout the U.S., where workers relocated from the San Francisco Bay Area to get a fresh start.”

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/318816
https://www.axios.com/ageism-tech-in...238fee40c.html

Basically you’ve just played the “ I know some examples of older people in tech industry therefore it’s not really a problem” game .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement