Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2019, 02:01 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times

Advertisements

A great thread
Update on Cord Cutting (Cable TV) - Early Retirement & Financial Independence Community

More
https://www.cordcuttersnews.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2019, 02:27 AM

2,782 posts, read 2,082,385 times
Daves links are good ones. I put a “50 mile” antenna in the attic and get 24 channels, but basically ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CW, PBS and their sub channels, plus 3 hispanic channels. I have a Channelmaster S+ OTA DVR for true FF/Rew. Xfinity 75/5 internet is $40. 2 Rokus on 2 tvs, w/Hulu Live with “No commercials” (just less actually) with cloud DVR is about $50/mo, and we share Netflix for $4. Because we have Xfinity internet, we have Xfiinity mobile on our 2 cell phones for $15/line. We connect 90% of time via wifi, so data stays under 1M. Between cable & Verizon cell I was paying about $275, now about $85. Zero complaints.

Side note: the OTA picture quality directly in to the HiDef TVs is noticeably better than through HULU even though it is supposed to be higher res. I still want to try Youtube TV.

I watch a few shows a week. It’s entertainment and I enjoy it.

Last edited by Perryinva; 05-23-2019 at 02:40 AM..

Old 05-23-2019, 04:00 AM

4,279 posts, read 5,938,202 times
What internet speed is necessary for internet viewing? Based on the ComCast flyer which arrived in yesterdays's mail, it appears they shove "Internet Only" customers into the slowest category.

Has anyone had issue with excessive bandwidth use? I heard comments from one retired lady that since cutting the cord, she and her husband are constantly badgered by their internet provider because of excessive bandwidth use.

Old 05-23-2019, 04:18 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
We've never had a cable to cut.

DH is thrifty and likes to get over-the-air channels. He bought a cheapo antenna the other day to get more of them.

I have Amazon Prime with the add-ons for HBO and Showtime. I don't watch over-the-air TV at all. DH would watch a show called "Paint Drying" if it were the only thing on.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:20 AM

11,129 posts, read 9,764,095 times
We pay the cable company only for high speed internet ($69/month). We cut the cord and have Netflix, Amazon Prime, and Hulu. I LOVE Hulu and am willing to pay the $39.99/month. You get all the major network shows plus most of the cable network shows, plus original programming and you don't need to use a dvr because you can watch any season, any episode of most shows at any time. It's fantastic for binge watching things you may have missed when they came out years ago...like Downton Abbey, or documentaries. Also Hulu removes most of the commercials, so you can watch shows in about half the time it would normally take. You can also watch major network shows live, or delayed.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:02 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,520,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
What internet speed is necessary for internet viewing? Based on the ComCast flyer which arrived in yesterdays's mail, it appears they shove "Internet Only" customers into the slowest category.

Interesting you are getting a flyer for slowest. Usually most users get caught in the marketing hype for Blaster, Turbo or other fluff . Truth be told, unless you are running a business from your home, the vast majority of users only need basic speeds. For streaming, 20mbps and even less is fine for many homes.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:17 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
My son used to work for DTV so we got it for under $25 a month which was box rental. During that time we had Comcast for net which my hub would call to get a lower price when it went up. When we moved we locked into a really low price; a little over $100 for 2 years.

Thankfully my son is with Comcast now so we get it under $50 a month due to having 2 smart DVR's and one regular.

There are a lot of options out there for people that want to cut the cord as was linked in the threads.

I personally would try Comcast after AT&T went up to get a lower price. I would then consider DTV again with a new customer price. I couldn't deal with watching TV from apps.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:21 AM

904 posts, read 665,938 times
We got rid of Direct TV 6 years ago and just watched our 9 channels. Last fall our son and his family moved in with us to save money before they build a home. With our almost 16 yr old sports fanatic grandson living with us we did sign up for DISH. We have a 2 yr lock. In 2 yrs I think they won't be living with us so we will probably cut the cord again.

Old 05-23-2019, 06:21 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
I hated paying for tv with commercials. That was supposed to be the big draw when cable first came out - no commercials. Ha.
Yeah, I remember- back in the mid-1980s! When DH and I moved in mid-2015, Comcast/Xfinity promised us no change in rate for two years when we signed up. DH died in late 2016 and he'd enjoyed watching live sports, which I didn't care for at all. In early 2017, Google Fiber was available in our area and one month the cable bill went up by $3. It was an increase in what they were paying some network or other to carry their programming but to me it was an increase- just what they said they wouldn't do. I already had Netflix up and running so I got Google Fiber and saved $70/month immediately. Wonder what the cable bill would be now.

Bonus: DS and DDIL live in another state but can use my Netflix account; it will work on only 2 devices at a time but that's never been a problem.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:46 AM

2,176 posts, read 1,325,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
Today I received my new AT&T bill and it jumped nearly $100 to $228.27 and I am ticked!

Yes, I had a two year contract that just ran out but there is no way I am going to spend that much on internet and cable television every month.

And I don't get anything special... no HBO, Showtime or anything else just straight cable television.

So... looking to cut the cord and my big question is to see if anyone else >50 cut the cord and how do you feel about it?

I can get high speed internet with download speeds up to 100 Mbps for less than $40.

I bought two Amazon firesticks today and I have Amazon Prime and Netflix.

$228.27 is insane. Just nuts.

Anyone else use Fire Sticks?

PS Thanks for letting me vent.... $228 is over half a car payment and that's nuts.... grumble... grumble....
Go to tvfool.com website and plug in your address: it will give an idea what antenna type you could buy- if you lucky you can get by with indoor or attic antenna for local broadcasting, pbs and a few others.
One time purchase of Roku stick - + amazon Prime if you have it or Netflix streaming could answer your entertainment needs.
If sports are important - look into YouTube, sling, etc tv.
HBO if a must have could be subscribed for $15 a month stand alone directly from them
I despise cable TV due to ignorant talking heads trying to force propaganda, infotainment and shocking fear tactics on me under pretense it is “ news” to make us all blind and unaware of what actually happening in the world and our society!
Not interested in zombies and such shows- YMMV.
Fight back by getting your own “ other side of the medal” stories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement