Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2020, 08:47 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
So the whole family is living in the past.
LOL! Nope - not at all. We are all very much techy/nerdy folks. Some people simply like to have favorites on hand and not have to pay every single time they want to watch that favorite. I just reordered my Love Actually DVD because it disappeared last year and I watch that movie every single Christmas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2020, 08:55 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,223,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
LOL! Nope - not at all. We are all very much techy/nerdy folks. Some people simply like to have favorites on hand and not have to pay every single time they want to watch that favorite. I just reordered my Love Actually DVD because it disappeared last year and I watch that movie every single Christmas.

Just teasing you. I had actually deleted my post. Guess you saw it and had it in a reply already.

Old 01-20-2020, 08:56 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
I am curious, what didn't you like about YouTube? Was it the package with live tv? That was one of the options that I was considering as an alternative to the upcoming "rate event" (as my provider calls their price hikes.)
I'm still sold on my You Tube TV and it's 70+ channels. It legally allows me to share it with up to 5 other people (I have 4) and we have all cut the cable.

Between it, Amazon Prime and Netflix it's more than I can ever watch.

My total costs including Internet service through ATT runs about $90-100 a month minus Netflix.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:25 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Rather than thinking cable tv, internet, and phone bundled is not something to spend money on (or just cable tv alone), I think buying 100's (or dozens) of DVD's and having a DVD/video library at home is a HUGE waste of money.
I was surprised to find this true. Back in the day, I copied every Netflix movie and we hauled them all down here. Come to find out, the only ones we rewatch are concerts. Just no interest in watching the same movie again.

Have not had TV for decades and never cable. Netflix, Roku and now Firestick.

Old 01-21-2020, 08:39 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
Technology comes easier to some and others like me have a hard time. I got a Roku a week ago and am quite proud of myself for figuring it out pretty well. Smart phone too.

Old 01-21-2020, 09:06 AM

14,249 posts, read 14,745,966 times
THIS IS A REPEAT/UPDATE OF AN EARLIER POST OF MINE:

Recently I decided to cut out my cable TV as I mainly watch Netflix and Amazon. I had a MoHu indoor antenna on a spare bedroom TV and it worked fine. I added MoHu to my bedroom and main room TVs and cut the cable.

Well after a few weeks I realized MoHu was not as stable as I originally thought. It was upsetting when I could not see what I wanted to see when I wanted to see it, so I kicked MoHu to the ground and went back to stripper TV cable for my bedroom and main room TVs. I left MoHu in the spare bedroom as you do not want guests getting that comfortable.......LOL

I pay $144.00 per month for 100MPS cable (plenty fast for streaming), a phone landline, and stripper cable TV with two boxes and no DVR but it works and works fine, so no aggravation.

I have since added Roku and I find it interesting but once the novelty wore off, I never use it.

Old 01-21-2020, 09:30 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,050,518 times
Quote:
How often do you dig through your library for something to rewatch?

At least a couple of times a month. That includes binging an entire series which depending on how many seasons there were, can easily take the better part of a week. Obviously the standalone movies are a one-evening thing. Definitely more often during the barren periods of "winter break" (I hate how so many shows now separate the season into two halves) and "summer doldrums" but also when I'm not feeling well physically because many of the movies/series in my collection are like comfort food, so to speak.

For example I recently went through several weeks of dealing with the nasty virus that is making the rounds this winter (RSV) and the only thing I felt like watching was my Jimmy Stewart movie collection. Almost 30 movies plus the television series. Last time I was sick, I went through both iterations of the multi-season Battlestar Galactica series. Next time it might be my Katheryn Hepburn collection, or the three different Robin Hood tv series (1950s with Richard Greene, 1980s with Jason Connery, and early 2000s with Jonas Armstrong.)

Old 01-21-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
THIS IS A REPEAT/UPDATE OF AN EARLIER POST OF MINE:

Recently I decided to cut out my cable TV as I mainly watch Netflix and Amazon. I had a MoHu indoor antenna on a spare bedroom TV and it worked fine. I added MoHu to my bedroom and main room TVs and cut the cable.

Well after a few weeks I realized MoHu was not as stable as I originally thought. It was upsetting when I could not see what I wanted to see when I wanted to see it, so I kicked MoHu to the ground and went back to stripper TV cable for my bedroom and main room TVs. I left MoHu in the spare bedroom as you do not want guests getting that comfortable.......LOL

I pay $144.00 per month for 100MPS cable (plenty fast for streaming), a phone landline, and stripper cable TV with two boxes and no DVR but it works and works fine, so no aggravation.

I have since added Roku and I find it interesting but once the novelty wore off, I never use it.

How are you watching Amazon and Netflix if not with the Roku, which is a platform for apps?

If you're happy with your solution, fine. Are you in a Locast market? For $5/mo you can have all your local OTA in streaming. Would you be able to put the antenna in the attic? I had a Leaf in the living room and it received only about 20 channels and 2 of the networks. I put it in the attic and dropped a coax down and I received 104 channels and all networks. The difference was night and day, and this was only a 25 or 30 mile range antenna. I'm looking into a Tablo or HDHomerun to stream them to all TVs in the house.

Old 01-21-2020, 03:27 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
How are you watching Amazon and Netflix if not with the Roku, which is a platform for apps?

If you're happy with your solution, fine. Are you in a Locast market? For $5/mo you can have all your local OTA in streaming. Would you be able to put the antenna in the attic? I had a Leaf in the living room and it received only about 20 channels and 2 of the networks. I put it in the attic and dropped a coax down and I received 104 channels and all networks. The difference was night and day, and this was only a 25 or 30 mile range antenna. I'm looking into a Tablo or HDHomerun to stream them to all TVs in the house.
Smart TVs and Blu Ray players have their own built in apps. Recently there are more Roku sets and FireTV sets...but you certainly don’t have to have those platforms.

Old 01-21-2020, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Smart TVs and Blu Ray players have their own built in apps. Recently there are more Roku sets and FireTV sets...but you certainly don’t have to have those platforms.

That's the point of my question. If his TV already supported apps like Amazon and Netflix, what did he expect to get by adding a Roku? It's a bit redundant to add an app platform to a device already with an app platform, unless he wanted a specific app that only the Roku supported. No wonder the novelty wore off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement