Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 11:02 AM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Federal taxes are likely to go up in the intermediate to long-term.
no one knows, 40 years ago when i started working who ever thought our tax rates would be so much lower today .....they have been targeting certain ranges to make them lower. in fact i can't believe how little i paid on a 6 figure income in retirement in state and local taxes here in not only new york but nyc where we have a local tax too ....

i paid so little i could not even use the 1600 tax credit i get from new york state for my long term care partnership plan . ss is not taxed in ny , my wifes pension is not taxed , my treasuries were not taxed and the first 20k of retirement money isn't taxed ... a far cry from what i deducted my retirement contributions at while working .

for someone who does some tax planning and is delaying ss until 70 , just using the standard federal deduction , a couple can pull 192k of deferred ira money out tax free and 384k at less then 5% in taxes ,. that can be a gift from the tax gods compared to what you may have deducted it at while working .... that can make a big difference alone compared to converting at higher rates. so there is a lot to consider here on an individual basis .

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-04-2019 at 11:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 11:19 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,298,430 times
I only just started a Roth a few years ago and plan on sinking as much as I can into it over the next 17 years before I retire. My regret is not starting one when I started in the workforce at age 21.

As such, I've consistently messaged to my children (now teenagers) that upon getting their very first job that offers benefits, they should put the full 15% into 401K and max out the Roth contributions every year of their working life. My daughter is on board with that plan, but my son still needs convincing.

Old 06-04-2019, 11:55 AM

1,199 posts, read 725,230 times
Roth IRAs are only worth it if you make chit wages because you pay the tax now. Why not get a normal IRA that will tax your much lower old man salary when you're old.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatsquirrel View Post
Roth IRAs are only worth it if you make chit wages because you pay the tax now. Why not get a normal IRA that will tax your much lower old man salary when you're old.
most of us hover somewhere around our final working years as usually the life we built is based on those years ...

also roths shine in other areas because of all the things linked to taxable income ..everything from getting ss taxed , any aca subsidies , to what you pay for medicare is linked to your income ...those rmd's can be very high later on , especially if one spouse has to file single .

Old 06-04-2019, 12:28 PM

10,358 posts, read 7,988,269 times
Quote:
As mathjak said, RMDs on a large IRA or 401k balance can force you into a much higher tax bracket than you anticipated. And RMDs go up every year, so this problem gets worse, not better, as you grow older. A Roth avoids that particular pitfall.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:43 PM

1,199 posts, read 725,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
As mathjak said, RMDs on a large IRA or 401k balance can force you into a much higher tax bracket than you anticipated. And RMDs go up every year, so this problem gets worse, not better, as you grow older. A Roth avoids that particular pitfall.
That sucks that RMD's keep increasing. I didn't know that.

Old 06-04-2019, 12:57 PM

Quote:
That sucks that RMD's keep increasing. I didn't know that.
they are designed to look at your balance each year and to get everything out by a certain age ...

Old 06-04-2019, 12:59 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
You need to do a search on RMD withdrawels. You may be surprised.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:06 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
most of us hover somewhere around our final working years as usually the life we built is based on those years ...

also roths shine in other areas because of all the things linked to taxable income ..everything from getting ss taxed , any aca subsidies , to what you pay for medicare is linked to your income ...those rmd's can be very high later on , especially if one spouse has to file single .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
Yeah....ya know there has to be SOME reason people are in Roths...we're not ALL stupid.

Old 06-04-2019, 01:37 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
Quote:
my old man tax rates based are so much higher than what I thought they would be when I set up mutual funds, IRAs in the 1980s.

We just don't know what the future will bring or changes in rates and laws. SO it makes sense to spread it out among all good options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement