Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2019, 10:27 AM

43,142 posts, read 18,298,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I don’t know that I agree with you on this. Welfare is a benefit given to the poor to prevent them from being completely destitute. They don’t necessarily pay for it. It comes from taxes paid by all. SSI is something people pay for over the course of their entire career so it is more of a forced savings for the future. In theory people pay for it themselves. To me that is not welfare in the true sense of the word. Jay
SSI is not SS

SSI is a welfare supplement to SS. SSI is Supplemental Security Income.

https://www.ssa.gov/ssi/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
It is JUST as simplistic to say "I want my money NOW because I might die in x years". My how the conversation has turned! You used to be an idiot to wait because dontcha know SS will be gone in 5 years and I want all the money I'm owed NOW! Then it turned 180 degrees to "only idiots take their SS at 62 because they're greedy and don't know how much your benefit goes up over time by waiting".

Now the pendulum swings yet again (whiplash time) - it's not REALLY an 8% increase because (duh) you spend down your own investments. I'm still coming out ahead if I live to 90 and of course I'll be spending down my assets more quickly prior to taking my SS - how do people not take that into account? Actually that's why most are afraid to or just can't wait to take SS.

It's a balancing act but no one wants to figure out their own case they just want someone to tell them - "Do I take it at 62 or wait until 70? And please don't make me think about it, just tell me!".

Honestly, I think people accept whatever argument suits what they were already wanting to do before they knew anything and just call it good, relieved they don't have to change their plans.
I don't view these discussions like you do. There's always been back and forth arguments for and against. I read the reasons why and take them into consideration. I haven't noticed any whiplash pendulum swings though in debates on this in various forums.

Old 06-15-2019, 10:51 AM

106,724 posts, read 108,937,910 times
Quote:
I don’t know that I agree with you on this. Welfare is a benefit given to the poor to prevent them from being completely destitute. They don’t necessarily pay for it. It comes from taxes paid by all. SSI is something people pay for over the course of their entire career so it is more of a forced savings for the future. In theory people pay for it themselves. To me that is not welfare in the true sense of the word. Jay
you are wrong .. ssi is a welfare program and has nothing to do with social security funds , it comes from general tax funds and has nothing tio do with working and contributing .... there is also ssdi which is social security disability and not welfare , and there is social security retirement ...you are mixed up

Old 06-15-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Thanks again everyone for the responses. It sounds to me like it makes more sense to take SSI earlier rather than tap your retirement savings. I will let my friend know. Jay
ssi has nothing to do with social security funding , it is welfare for very low income people who have no work record for ssdi or ss retirement.

Supplemental Security Income benefits are paid out of general U.S. Treasury funds, not from Social Security taxes. You need not have worked a certain amount, or paid FICA taxes, to be eligible.

SSI Asset Limits

To be eligible to receive SSI benefits based on disability, an SSI applicant or a current SSI recipient who is single cannot have more than $2,000 in assets. (Though not all assets count toward the SSI resource limit, discussed below.)
If an SSI applicant or recipient is married (even if only one person is eligible for disability), the asset limit is $3,000. Only the IRA or pension plan of the ineligible spouse isn't treated as part of the spouses' assets.
Similarly, if a child under age 18 lives with one parent, the SSA deems the resources of a parent or parent’s spouse. The SSA will ignore the first $2,000 of the parent's total countable resources, or, if the child lives with two parents, $3,000. Any assets above that amount will be counted toward the child's $2,000 resource limit.

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-15-2019 at 11:06 AM..

Old 06-15-2019, 10:59 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
SSI is not SS

The difference is the I, some people are not careful when they post.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:01 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,769,893 times
Quote:
I don't view these discussions like you do. There's always been back and forth arguments for and against. I read the reasons why and take them into consideration. I haven't noticed any whiplash pendulum swings though in debates on this in various forums.
Years ago, I read many retirement or money magazine that recommend taking SS at 62. Then the Great Recession hit, can’t rely on the stock market. I think since then the pendulum has swung a little bit back.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Years ago, I read many retirement or money magazine that recommend taking SS at 62. Then the Great Recession hit, can’t rely on the stock market. I think since then the pendulum has swung a little bit back.
True but that is no different then those that rely on their home for retirement money.
There is no guarantee it will go up. And the housing bust hit them big time as well.

Old 06-15-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
The difference is the I, some people are not careful when they post.
or they don't know the differences .....
'
only ssdi , ss retirement and survivor are funded with the fica dollars we pay in from working ...

ssi is a welfare program funded with regular tax dollars for low income seniors or the blind and disabled . there is no requirement to have worked at all , you just need to stay under the 3k cap in assets ..

Old 06-15-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
SSI is not SS

ssi actually is not a supplement to ss retirement . it is welfare for those who can not qualify for ss retirement and are low income /asset or blind or disabled so they go on a welfare program instead of the social securty fica funded program ,

Old 06-15-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
while very few actually took advantage of or even knew about file and suspend options , the media started promoting filing later and taking advantage of file and suspend and restricted application .. delaying started to interest more and more and so to avoid any more pressure on the ss funds they ended file and suspend and restricted application.

you could count on most tv shows and articles playing up those two options before they were terminated promoting at least delaying to fra for one of a couple and 70 for the other .

Last edited by mathjak107; 06-15-2019 at 11:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement