Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 09:53 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

I was told by my doctor that I should take vitamins. What about natural vitamins?

News, Are vitamins a waste of money? A new study says yes.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/are-...231521620.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2019, 10:33 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,028,651 times
Some of them are a waste of money but they are also a cheap insurance policy. Most women should take at least D, Calcium, and a multi. Men need a multi and D. Most of the people on the planet are D deficient and older people don't make D as well as younger people.

For me, the vitamins are worth the money. I am always dieting and I know I don't get everything I need from food. Just for example you need to drink 4 glasses of milk per day to get enough calcium. And that's 400 calories. At that point I wouldn't even be able to eat much else for the day. Those calcium pills save me 400 calories.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:53 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,951,667 times
Did your doctor specify which vitamins? There are blood tests that can detect various deficiencies.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:15 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,670,889 times
As we get older we don't absorb nutrients as well as we did when we were younger. I do think we need to take vitamins and minerals. We become low in Vitamin D and often B12 and zinc. B12 deficiency, I think can cause cognitive issues. Look it up--it's too late at night where I am.

Zinc deficiency is very common in older people and it accounts for the loss of sense of smell and taste. Also can fix restless leg syndrome if you are deficient.

Calcium citrate (not carbonate) if you are a woman, and magnesium glycinate or citrate to make it work. Magnesium is good for men too and it can help lower blood pressure.

My doctor told me to always buy good quality vitamins and minerals, not the drug store kind. I've seen the better brands in Walmart though.

Ideally, you should get tested by your doctor for deficiencies. They have a hard time testing for magnesium and zinc though so probably just trust that you are deficient because most older people are. I was tested one time and my magnesium was so low it was off the charts. (Tested within the CELL, not in the blood where is it almost always normal.)

dh's doctor tested him for vitamin D and so he takes it now and he also tested him for B12. This was a wonderful doctor, a gerontologist from Europe and I think he was ahead of his time. I've heard so many stories of people not absorbing the B12 and that happened to dh too. So I bought sublingual B12 and it worked--doesn't have to be absorbed into the bloodstream. Now his B12 level tests are normal.

I haven't read the article but I will. I get tired of these articles that tell people they don't need to take a vitamin and that it's just a waste of money. But they want you to take a prescription instead. I think my advice would be to ask you doctor and try to get them to test you. But don't expect them to know much about this subject. You have to do some research yourself--but the zinc (dr said zinc picolinate works best) and magnesium are usually going to be deficient even though they are not easy to be tested for.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:27 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,047,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I was tested one time and my magnesium was so low it was off the charts. (Tested within the CELL, not in the blood where is it almost always normal.)
I am curious about which doctor (GP? hematologist?) did your tests and what they tested for. I have never been able to take a multivitamin because if I do, it has always caused terrible heartburn if I take any for more than a couple of days in a row.... even the most basic "RDA only" dosages. And iron supplements have always triggered cystitis within 36 hours; my kidneys apparently cannot metabolize supplemental iron properly but are fine with iron that naturally occurs in food rather than being chemically added.

Because there's no way to pinpoint which elements of a typical multivitamin trigger my reflux problem, I can't take any. I was tested for Vitamin D about ten years ago and I was in single digits BUT.... I am also a kidney stone former and medical advice is that taking more than the basic RDA of 400 mg of supplemental D raises the risk of stone formation. Same risk for supplemental calcium but calcium in dairy products is okay and in fact is beneficial. Anyway, taking 400 mg of D only raises my D by a couple of points (for example from 6 to 8.) And to top it all off, I'm prone to PMLE (polymorphous light eruption) with is a form of photosensitivity and so sunbathing is out as well.

Sometimes ya just can't win, LOL

But I would be interested in being tested for specific deficiencies with a view toward taking ONLY a supplement for whatever I may be lacking. Taking a multivitamin is, in my case, like trying to shoot a gnat with an elephant gun

Old 07-19-2019, 05:49 AM

809 posts, read 1,181,249 times
I’ve taken vitamins most of my life. Take multi and extra D. (Per drs recommendation). Take Areds for my eyes (have eye issues) and noticed floaters disappeared. Also a probiotic. On no medications.

I was just buying the cheap store brand and recently did some research and am buying a better brand.

I don’t eat a perfect diet so I feel better knowing I’m getting some needed nutrients.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:07 AM

130,170 posts, read 12,088,000 times
I take about one a month or two. I make sure I eat plenty of fresh vegetables & fruits, & a variety of proteins. I do also drink a small glass everyday of kefir, for the probiotics. I take Niacin daily as my Dr said to, it helps lower triglycerides, & I also take a cherry extract, for arthritis.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:43 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,266,757 times
Yes. I just tried an experiment and dropped some of my supplements- red yeast rice, green tea pills and fish oil- 6 months ago to see if they were doing anything. Just got the bloodwork back- triglycerides up (from 63 to 100), good cholesterol down (from 110 to 84, still not too shabby). Back on the supplements I go!

I also take calcium and magnesium for bone health- I have a little osteopenia despite daily cardio workouts.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:11 AM

4,507 posts, read 9,198,651 times
saralvr--Areds for my eyes---- so I looked those up and the ingredients are vitamins C, E, Zinc and a touch of Copper.

nothing particularly special for the eyes ?

Old 07-19-2019, 07:15 AM

2,033 posts, read 1,679,538 times
I take a few Vitamins and mineral supplements. When I was younger, I didn't necessarily feel I needed them. But now with peri-menopause and a recent Dx of Diabetes 2, having researched these conditions, I take the one recommended for them. I am feeling considerably healthier also. As we age, we tend to need more help in the nutrition side of our lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement