Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2019, 09:15 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,853 times

Advertisements

For the most part, I took regular pill vitamins, even as a child. (I sometimes asked for chewable Flintstones or other fruity-tasting vitamins, because I liked their tart taste, and my parents obliged.) Around 2000's, I started frequently seeing vitamins in gummy form. At first, it was just children's vitamins that were made that way. But more recently, adults' vitamins started being made in gummy form too. I don't know if manufacturers are capitalizing on the nostalgia factor, or if they're accommodating adults who have difficulty swallowing pills, but it is what it is.

I always wondered: Are gummy vitamins as effective as pill vitamins? Meaning, do they get absorbed and benefit the body equally well? On one hand, their active ingredients are almost the same. On the other hand, gummy vitamins strike me as too candy-like. For example, vitamin C is supposed to be sour, and vitamin E is supposed to be oily; but in gummies, neither is the way it's supposed to be, which makes me question their effectiveness.

So what do others think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2019, 10:38 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,787,820 times
If the ingredients and formulations are the same why would it matter? A pill that might be less digestible than a gummy wouldn't be a very good investment. IMHO gummies are gimmicks, sort of like doing the airplane act to get a toddler to eat a spoonful of pureed broccoli or making OTC cold remedies taste like cherries.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:07 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
OP: I don't know if gummies are effective, but I know I would not take them. More fillers and even dyes are added if they are assorted colors.

I work to take mostly capsules with powders and even bulk powders with some things I take.

Old 02-22-2019, 02:05 PM

8,005 posts, read 7,214,784 times
I don't know about effectiveness but taking vitamins has become a way more pleasurable experience. I bet vitamin sales have skyrocketed since the gummy trend.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:59 PM

5,820 posts, read 3,871,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I don't know about effectiveness but taking vitamins has become a way more pleasurable experience. I bet vitamin sales have skyrocketed since the gummy trend.
True. But at the same time, they feel too candy-like. It either opens doors to overdosing (which can be deadly for vitamin A) or makes them lose their effectiveness (or so it seems).

Old 02-22-2019, 11:54 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,238,832 times
USP verified gummies. There may be others. Note that there is no advantage to taking vitamins and minerals separately. An inexpensive USP verified multi works just fine.

Adult Gummy Vitamins & Supplements | Nature Made

Old 02-23-2019, 11:54 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,565,479 times
They're for people who have trouble swallowing pills, especially that ones that come in large tablets. Some people can't swallow sublingual vitamins or tablets. The alternative is to serve a crushed pill or a sublingual with a thickened liquid on a spoon.

I've never taken one, but the sweet taste seems to be the big inducement. Sweets are used to stimulate the swallow reflex. You could do the same thing by placing regular pills in ice cream or lemon sorbet.

link

Last edited by lchoro; 02-23-2019 at 12:29 PM..

Old 02-23-2019, 05:26 PM

3,677 posts, read 2,559,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
They're for people who have trouble swallowing pills, especially that ones that come in large tablets. Some people can't swallow sublingual vitamins or tablets. The alternative is to serve a crushed pill or a sublingual with a thickened liquid on a spoon.

I've never taken one, but the sweet taste seems to be the big inducement. Sweets are used to stimulate the swallow reflex. You could do the same thing by placing regular pills in ice cream or lemon sorbet.

link

that's it. I've tried to take many of the vitamins out there and can't get them down so it's either gummies or nothing.

why are the pills so huge and chalky?

Old 02-23-2019, 06:29 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,733,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
that's it. I've tried to take many of the vitamins out there and can't get them down so it's either gummies or nothing.

why are the pills so huge and chalky?
Tablets are huge and chalky...seek out capsules with powders in them and they are MUCH easier to go down. I avoid tablets but if I have to take one and it's too hard and big, I will break/cut it in half or more pcs. I've been at this job for many years and have learned the ins and outs of so much ..

Old 02-23-2019, 07:21 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,565,479 times
It's common to crush them and put them in the applesauce. The sublinguals are difficult to blend in with semi-solid food. I use a soup spoon to blend it in with tea or lemon sorbet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements