Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2019, 06:01 PM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Fortunately for me, I've never enjoyed shopping, especially for clothes. I'll buy something if I need it and even then, I'm in and out of the store in a few minutes. It's the same thing for groceries. I make a list, buy what I need and check out. I never understood how people find enjoyment in lingering inside of stores, but that's me.
I'm the same way. Costco, by design, is a "treasure hunt"- there's some stability in the food and cleaning products but then there's a display of something you've never seen before and it may not be there again- clothes gadgets, etc. I know the local store pretty well. I get my basics, I ignore the other stuff and I'm in and out quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2019, 06:02 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
One of the Costco's by me has an outdoor food court. No membership required.
I would go there just for the hot dogs and pizza if that was the case at my local Costco.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:04 PM

43,102 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm sorry if this has been covered before and I imagine maybe it has and I'm sure parts of it has, like with the cutting cable thread. There are many pretty well known things like senior discounts at restaurants. (I don't qualify for all of them yet)

I'd be interested in programs that those who are retired can take advantage of to pay out less. I already cut cable and I've started on the process of cutting cell phone costs. (anything cheaper than $100 a month for 4 phones unlimited)?

There has to be a lot of things I've not even considered yet.
A lifestyle change is a natural way to avoid spending more money than you want to.

With retirement comes more time so cooking from scratch/using fresh vs processed foods can save you.
Lots of simple recipes out there..I love the one pot/pan recipes.

Living more simply...library, free town concerts, farmer markets, beach, walking in the park vs going to the mall, movies, paid for concerts.

Do your own DIY around the house. Much cheaper if you are handy.

When buying big ticket items, go for quality which will cost more. It will last you longer so in the long run you save money.

Use your electronics until they break or until it gets to the point of being not supported anymore and hinders you.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:17 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
My husband DYI everything, so far we have not called anybody yet. YouTube helps.

Old 07-23-2019, 06:47 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,281,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
My husband DYI everything, so far we have not called anybody yet. YouTube helps.
You are fortunate. Many people are just not very handy even with YouTube depending on what is being repaired. I know I'm not.

Old 07-23-2019, 08:45 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,588,269 times
Quote:
I would go there just for the hot dogs and pizza if that was the case at my local Costco.
Just use your old membership card to get in. Don't have it anymore? Get one from someone who has an old one laying around. No one checks the expiration date or picture. Or go in the exit. Or follow someone in and pretend you're with them. It's not like trying to get into Fort Knox.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:37 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
Yeah, it's great to have a year's supply of shampoo and soaps and who knows what sitting around....good luck, maybe some buying in the huge bulks give to the poor too, how dumb of me not to think that.

Just so much money today and the bulk people know that. How ever did my folks raise 3 kids a family of 5 and no bulk buying,,,,shame on them.
Jamine, buying in bulk can save some money. It works well for the two of us, as we have storage space. And, COSTCO products are generally high quality.

Buying from a wholesaler is a choice we make; what is valid for us might not be valid for you.

Old 07-23-2019, 09:45 PM

294 posts, read 219,707 times
Quote from my favorite Hawaiian T shirt "There are 2 ways to be rich....make more or desire less". There are several other good sayings on this shirt.

Learn to DIY, you will do better work for far less cash and gain a skill.

Old 07-23-2019, 11:12 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Just use your old membership card to get in. Don't have it anymore? Get one from someone who has an old one laying around. No one checks the expiration date or picture. Or go in the exit. Or follow someone in and pretend you're with them. It's not like trying to get into Fort Knox.
Tell them you're going to the pharmacy, or the optical. They can't require a membership for either. They're not going to stop you if you then go get a hot dog!

Old 07-24-2019, 06:04 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
Quote:
You are fortunate. Many people are just not very handy even with YouTube depending on what is being repaired. I know I'm not.
Sometimes it's a no-brainer even for us non-handy types. My late husband was usually the one who got competitive quotes for work. I overpaid for a few things since he died but when I got an insane (about $500) quote to clean out my A/C unit ("it needs cleaning or you might blow a coil during peak demand season in July or August") I went to YouTube.

Five-minute video. First of all, my unit had about 5 leaves in the bottom. It was only 4 years old. Unplug fuse which connects it to the power. Spray it down with a hose, using your thumb to increase the pressure a little. Plug fuse back in.

YouTube is my new friend.

I'm also working harder on getting quotes for other work. I'm ashamed to tell you what the same company was charging to test my sprinkler system backflow valve (municipality requires it) but I found a firm that was MUCH cheaper and this year they gave me a great rate for that test plus opening and testing the sprinkler system.

And, another note on Costco- I buy in bulk even though I'm living alone- I go through mass quantities of vegetables and everything else can be stored or frozen. There are also a lot of big-ticket things like car tires, mattresses, etc. where prices and quality are all over the place and you never know if you're getting a "deal" or whether the $1,000 version is any better than the $500 version. It's nice to have a place where they've narrowed the choices down to a few brands they trust and added a modest markup. Just got car tires there this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement