Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 07:32 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,976,511 times

Advertisements

It's called "R.I.P" -- retired in place. I understand it's pretty common and quite normal. With just a year to go, I'm in the same boat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 07:59 AM

919 posts, read 790,003 times
yes I'm also at that point where I've been saying I'll retire in a year or two for the past couple years. My wife is still working so I can't really retire and move right over to our place on Maui which is what I want to do

Old 07-22-2019, 09:04 AM

83 posts, read 73,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp61616 View Post
I figure I have about a year or maybe 2 left before I retire. Now I just go in and do the work and leave. I don't have any passion for it, and I feel like the other older workers who are just marking time. We call it being "marginalized" - they don't really include you in things because they figure you are near the end so what is the point? Did any of you feel that way toward the end? That you were just punching the clock? It seems kind of pointless but I want to work to 62 or close to it so I can qualify for social security.

I turned 62 last week and retired from my true profession (IBEW elecrician for 37 years), been working as a contract supervisor for the past 2 1/2 years. I have a financial goal that will take another 9 months, however, (and SS is not a factor), it seems unlikely that I will make it beyond another 3 months.

Things have happened within the last couple of months that have given me a severe case of the Red A$$. Therefore it is just a matter of whether or not I choose to sail into the sunset gracefully or choose to go out as my father's son.

I once watched my father accept a termination slip that read Reduction in Force. He read that...wadded it up, and threw it off his foreman's face, and I quote..."I quit you stupid SON of a *****".

I doubt I have my father's verbal skills to achieve the same final effect, but while I found it somewhat embarrassing at the time...in the construction industry he is legend...lol

Not sure this helps you with your question, but it did bring a memory of my father to mind.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:49 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmp61616 View Post
I figure I have about a year or maybe 2 left before I retire. Now I just go in and do the work and leave. I don't have any passion for it, and I feel like the other older workers who are just marking time. We call it being "marginalized" - they don't really include you in things because they figure you are near the end so what is the point? Did any of you feel that way toward the end? That you were just punching the clock? It seems kind of pointless but I want to work to 62 or close to it so I can qualify for social security.

I still put in extra hours and want to do a good job - it's just the extraneous BS that it's hard to muster up enthusiasm for!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
I wonder if employers pick up on this and off load older people, replacing them with eager, lower paid, more energetic younger people resulting in the older person claiming age discrimination.
Employers foster this attitude as well by making it plain that an employee is washed up by age 55 and definitely by age 56. They know you aren't going to get promoted, move to another department, etc., and they just lose interest in giving you plum assignments, etc.

So it's kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy as well.

Once it was made clear to me that my career was over at age 55 - it's hard to keep volunteering for things, etc. I do still want to go good work in what I do - but I no longer have that 'extra' drive to go above and beyond to impress others.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:04 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,747 times
Staying heavily engaged with work makes the days, weeks, months go by quickly ......A good thing to get to that golden day.....

Old 07-22-2019, 02:57 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
When the end of work life is near, it is natural to feel less invested in your work. And if you have felt respected for your ethic or competence, new managers might not know of your track record now, and you might feel devalued as one of the older workers.

I just did my job the best I could in my final year. My workload did not let up until my very last days.

Hang in there. Count down months, then weeks. Consider your retirement a gift which you look forward to gratefully receiving, when the time comes.

Old 07-22-2019, 02:58 PM

1,210 posts, read 889,226 times
If you enjoy what you do, you'll never "work" a day in your life.

Old 07-22-2019, 03:09 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times
I enjoyed the work that I did and it kept up my interest until the very end. But the working atmosphere really deteriorated the last couple of years. Five years retired and I still miss the actual work, but not the workplace.

Old 07-22-2019, 04:49 PM

18,102 posts, read 15,676,604 times
I think it's common to start to lose interest especially when you get to what feels like the homestretch. Of course not everyone feels that way; there are those who love what they do and never want to stop. But for those who do look forward to retiring someday in the near future, I do think just punching the clock and marking time can easily happen.

Old 07-22-2019, 05:25 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
"Did any of you feel that way toward the end?"

yes, which was due to the changing corporate structure.
during the last four years, the autonomy and rewards
of aggressive achievement were diluted into a PC fog
which stifled growth and acquisitions.
sold my vested stock and left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement