Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2019, 07:42 AM

2,093 posts, read 1,926,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMW View Post
I keep seeing articles how almost half of baby boomers have no retirement savings, and boomers are starting to retire en-mass. An example below:

https://www.investopedia.com/article...ent-crisis.asp

I assume the ones with no savings are trying to keep from retiring, but that may not be so easy. Anyone here in that boat, or know people who are, how and what are they doing?
I just don't buy that its that bleak. A lot probably have pensions and social security. The boomers I see retiring seem to be just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 08:31 AM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
What about those Boomers with no savings and no pension who are living with an aged parent who does collect a pension but is deeply in debt. The parent dies, the pre-retiree Boomer has no home, no household goods, no savings, no pension, half of SS income, no credit history, etc.

My wife has four siblings while I have two. Of those six siblings, four are in the no savings, no pension, minimal SS, and no real property ownership category.
I don't know about the debt part, but one of a great aunt's daughters is in this situation.

Great aunt died several years ago after several years in a nursing home. Her daughter, who was in her early 60s then, was recently divorced and living in the great aunt's house. After her death, a lien was placed on the property. Best I know, the daughter is still effectively squatting in the property. She had a low paying city job and probably has little in the way of other assets.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:09 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbsteel View Post
I just don't buy that its that bleak. A lot probably have pensions and social security. The boomers I see retiring seem to be just fine.
Could be because the "not fine" are not retiring or living in some obscurity you might not be seeing.

The visible ones I see, look good too.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:13 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,049,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
BBC, yes we are lucky in Nevada that we can Homestead our house to protect it. Were your investments in retirement accounts?
No, they were just normal investments. No protection.

In my state there are limits to how much you can protect (exempt) in bankruptcy:
  • $82,775 in equity in your home
  • $4,425 in equity in your car;
  • Most clothing, furniture and household goods, including a TV and computer;
  • $3,330 in things you need for your job
  • $1,100.00 in any property or cash, IF you do NOT have an exemption for your home;
  • Certain benefits such as child support, Social Security, SSI, Social Security Disability, unemployment insurance benefits, veteran's benefits, public assistance, retirement funds and pensions--regardless of the amount you receive.
Considering that the average price of a home in this area is between $400K and $500K, an $82K exemption isn't much.

Old 08-12-2019, 10:53 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,964,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Could be because the "not fine" are not retiring or living in some obscurity you might not be seeing.

I saw an old guy working the line at Chipotle.

If that doesn't scare you, I don't know what will.

Old 08-12-2019, 11:00 AM

8,151 posts, read 8,350,911 times
We probably would have retired with less than $1M in savings, a paid off house and vehicles, plus some small pensions and SSI. But we have a great deal more due to inheritance. However we haven’t touched our savings and continue to live on the funding we had in place prior to inheritance. What is different is the sense of security. That’s so nice. Thanks to parents! Hope I can do the same for my offspring.

Old 08-12-2019, 11:54 AM

4,329 posts, read 7,237,536 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

The retirees you see out on the golf course, at the gym, traveling, or dining out at their favorite restaurant, are indeed the ones that more than likely have resources & good health. Those who do not, are more likely to be homebound, and seldom seen in public.

Unless they had a long-term gig with an employer starting early in their career that still had a pension plan, I imagine 401Ks/IRAs are the retirement plans for the vast majority of boomers.

Old 08-12-2019, 02:46 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,908,288 times
I'm not too worried about those who worked at least 35 years at a W2 job. They will get a SS pension enough to keep out of poverty, if not a lavish lifestyle. I'm more concerned with those who worked cash jobs for the most part. Didn't pay Social Security tax? You dont collect Social Security.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:11 PM

15,856 posts, read 14,479,382 times
Private pensions are disappearing, and a lot of state / local government pensions are woefully underfunded. And Social Security is the biggest Ponzi scheme in history (that can be, and likely has been, it's own thread.)

And just because you don't buy that it's that bleak, doesn't meant that it really isn't that bleak.

Quote:

Old 08-12-2019, 05:53 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
With all respect, fluffy, it has been an overwhelming success -- if you understand the objectives. The objective was -- and is -- to employ tens of thousands of government employees and bureaucrats whose jobs and careers depend on the existence of the poor and the homeless. From the perspective of those government employees and bureaucrats, their efforts are highly successful because they have careers and paychecks.

Imagine for a moment what would occur if someone waved a magic wand and ended all poverty and homelessness. In short order, we would collectively say, "Great. Now we can end the War on Poverty." All those government employees fighting the war on poverty would lose their jobs.

The War on Poverty is over. Poverty won!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement