Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 06:19 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,487,871 times

Advertisements

I don't think about it. If we lost one pension we'd be ok. If we lost both pensions it might require some adjustment. If it happens we'll figure it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 06:47 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,437,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale212 View Post
I will be a FERS pension retiree and learned long ago that worry about anything will never impact an outcome negative or positive. But that doesn't mean that I did not consider the possibility of a pension reduction or elimination of COLAs on the annuity part of my 3 legged stool FERS retirement plan. And for that reason I max contributed to my TSP/401K for most of my service years, and additionally since I am able to first claim a widow's Social Security survivor's benefit that allows me to delay taking my own higher benefit at 70. And if need be I can survive on both those income streams if need be. Actually, what I will likely withdraw annually from my TSP combined with my age 70 Social Security benefit what will remain of that income after taxes is pretty much what I live on now after taxes, Medicare, TSP contributions, etc. are deducted.
Survive on 1
Thrive on 2
100% working income replacement on all 3 legs

Old 08-12-2019, 06:07 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Mine is huge, through the state, making it much less likely to have financial problems in the future.
Dream on. https://www.washingtonpolicy.org/pub...on-assumptions

Old 08-12-2019, 06:20 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
IMHO, yes, be concerned that all pensions will go poof.
In fact, the federal reserve note will go poof as well.
(See Title 12 USC Sec. 411 for more details)

Since 1933, and the state of emergency, no lawful money has circulated. And the ever debased "dollar bill" keeps losing value / inflates. That's great for debtors, but is not so good for everyone else.
Thanks to hyperinflation, a copper cent from 1910 is worth two "dollar bills" today. In fact, the Coinage Act of 1965 debased all fractional coin to match the worthless "dollar bill."
Oh, right, just legislate ever higher "minimum wages" that drive up tax revenues without a complaint from the workers.
- - - -
So what are viable options?
Shift "investments" to real things like land and house, that one can establish a vocation and work from home. Or have spare accommodations to rent out.
You might also create a microfarm. Chinese farm holdings average just 0.6 hectares (1.48 acres).

(Check your state laws concerning the difference between private property and real estate. You will be pleasantly surprised to find that private property is not subject to taxation, regulation nor restriction.)

Old 08-12-2019, 06:27 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert Investor View Post
....I suspect many pensions will go broke in the next 10-20 years. Could this be your pension and are you worried?
Hyuk hyuk....not a chance my pension will hit the dirt before I do!

Old 08-12-2019, 06:30 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
I am amazed at the number of people that put 100% faith that their government run pension plan is telling the truth. The following link goes to Yale Law. The discussion is about teacher pension plans. If you just do a quick scan you can see that just the teacher pension plans are currently underfunded by trillions of dollars. If you were to add in all of the state run pension plans, the numbers come up in the tens of trillions of dollars underfunded. Now most assuredly, at least one of the posters in this thread must be at least a little worried?

https://digitalcommons.law.yale.edu/...4&context=ylpr

In-so-far as state constitutionally guaranteed pension plans go, you can't get blood out of a turnip. The states will ultimately, one by one, start declaring bankruptcy. Then the courts get to decide who gets paid and who doesn't. Whole nations declare bankruptcy so don't try to tell me that your state can't.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:06 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,452,471 times
Glad my pension is from Utah....

http://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-a...-worth-it.aspx

As opposed to Illinois:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/opini...525-story.html

Old 08-12-2019, 01:33 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,651,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
In-so-far as state constitutionally guaranteed pension plans go, you can't get blood out of a turnip.
While you can't get blood out of a turnip, the ultimate backstop for underfunded public sector pension plans is Real Property. People move, wealth moves, but Real Property stays put. Thus, we can expect property taxes to go up - if needed - to make up any shortfall in public sector pension obligations.

Quote:
The states will ultimately, one by one, start declaring bankruptcy.
Unlike a municipality or other local authority, there is no provision for a State to declare bankruptcy. The State cannot seek the Court's protection from debts. The State has taxing authority.

Even if The State were to have a political crisis/political gridlock such that pensions were not paid, The Courts would almost assuredly step in and order The State to do so.

Quote:
Whole nations declare bankruptcy so don't try to tell me that your state can't.
I'll tell you: The State cannot file for bankruptcy protection, as there is no court in which such a filing can occur. It is undefined. It would, of course be, a political crisis - but there would be no filing for bankruptcy protection.

Old 08-12-2019, 01:42 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,062,291 times
I'm a little concerned - anyone with a pension would be foolish to think that they're exempt from issues. Having said that, our 401k is in great shape and there's the ole third leg re social security.

There's all kinds of ways for our plans to go sideways. If our pension fails and the market kills our 401k, despite the measure in place to limit damages, we won't be alone. Man plans, God laughs.

Old 08-13-2019, 09:22 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Words like safety, chaos, when the public pension collapses. Sound like you think riots might happen.
No a even greater shortage of teachers, police and fire fighters with predictable outcomes. Just witness the uproar now at the Manhattan Corrections Center with the death of Epstein and staffing shortages from budget cuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement