Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 02:50 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,687 posts, read 81,473,200 times

Advertisements

I have to admit that today we were out and about and stopped at Taco Bell for lunch, and I got the free senior drink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2019, 02:50 PM

5,950 posts, read 5,124,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sayulita View Post
Not sure why the above was censored. The word I used was Y A K.

Remember the title of this thread..... what do old people do?
Guess it is censor things that don't make sense (to them). ??

Thank goodness for Google. We should use it more.

Old 08-25-2019, 02:54 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,234,682 times
We have a “rest period” after lunch. DH naps and I recharge by noodling around on my IPad.

I stagger for a few steps after getting up in the morning

When I stand up, I often have to “stabilize” before moving forward.

I take several meds and several supplements twice a day

Gym visits make me tired; they never energize me

I use orthotics in my shoes

I lose my glasses in the house

I eat chocolate every day

I drink decaf in the afternoon

I park in the same areas of the parking lot when I visit the grocer or the mall.

I have my hair cut short because it is less bother

I almost always sleep on a heating pad at night

Old 08-25-2019, 03:02 PM

5,950 posts, read 5,124,746 times
I don't care as much about stuff as I used to.
If my daughter does not want a relationship with me...... who cares? (I used to and nearly drove myself nuts).

I like myself more than I used to.
When going to bed at night I put my eyeglasses in a drawer and close it as one of my cats think they are for chewing on. Plus I always know where they are when I wake up.
Makeup?? What makeup??

Used to feel bad because I didn't have a significant other. Now it's another "who cares."

Eat what I want. At some point I got pretty sick of what I "should" eat.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:14 PM

408 posts, read 260,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I don't watch movies much but I notice the same thing with the old 50s/60s TV shows. I guess all the crimes and murders take place in the semi-dark. Some of them have really lousy sound too and hard to understand what they are saying. Dragnet is bad for that but I guess I can't expect more from something filmed in 1956!
There is a setting on most newer TVs that emphasize speech over music or background noises. You may need to do an internet search on your TV model to find it.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:21 PM

408 posts, read 260,848 times
Use the hand rail every time I go up or down the stairs.

Grab my leg to haul it into my Miata. Wait, I always did that.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:25 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,682,857 times
I don’t go to bed until sunrise at about 6:30 AM and up for the day at 11:00 AM.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:27 PM

25,577 posts, read 56,553,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deoge View Post
There is a setting on most newer TVs that emphasize speech over music or background noises. You may need to do an internet search on your TV model to find it.
Good to know as my TV will soon need replacing. I have no trouble understanding dialogue in the oldies, virtually impossible to understand speech in so many of the newer productions. Music, especially in the newer shows, is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I immediately switch channels. Even some of the better shows - loved the earlier Law & Order - towards the end of the series the unnecessary dramatic music ruined the later productions for me. Can't watch 'em. A good show will stand on its dialogue and acting. It doesn't need music to 'heighten the drama.'

Old 08-25-2019, 03:29 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,782,138 times
DW and I went birding this morning. Seems like all the other birders we run into are older. My hearing sucks so I cannot hear the birds, and DW's vision sucks so she cannot see them. We make a great pair.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:50 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,682,857 times
We like to eat dinner at Longhorn steakhouse and we usually get a free appetizer such as 8 seasoned wings with our Outlaw Ribeye steak. We eat the wings, baked potato, and salad and take our steaks home for two additional meals. It’s not that I’m cheap, but who can eat that much, but I love that steak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement