Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2019, 08:01 AM

5,950 posts, read 5,127,719 times

Advertisements

I've stopped thinking everyone else knew what to do. Always felt I was a step behind. Not anymore.

Stopped thinking about things I did wrong and trying to focus more on what I did right.

I still get "attacks" of feeling guilty for things I could have done but did not for my oldest sister and my mother. Working at forgiving myself more.

Stopped expecting things to happen that didn't happen and most likely won't in future.

Working at opening my mind to things I could do rather than believing those doors won't open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2019, 08:05 AM

1,858 posts, read 3,110,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I've stopped thinking everyone else knew what to do. Always felt I was a step behind. Not anymore.

Stopped thinking about things I did wrong and trying to focus more on what I did right.

I still get "attacks" of feeling guilty for things I could have done but did not for my oldest sister and my mother. Working at forgiving myself more.

Stopped expecting things to happen that didn't happen and most likely won't in future.

Working at opening my mind to things I could do rather than believing those doors won't open.
Sounds like a recovering perfectionist. 😉

Old 08-28-2019, 08:09 AM

5,950 posts, read 5,127,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
Sounds like a recovering perfectionist. 😉

I don't agree with this. I do not believe I was ever a perfectionist.

But we are all entitled to our opinions.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:11 AM

915 posts, read 674,017 times
I only shave my legs once a week and in winter I go months.
I shower everyday and have a desk job so I quit using deodorant. I am vigilant about making sure I am not 'nose blind'.
I only wash my hair about once or twice a week. Its nice not having oily hair.
We cook once or twice a week and make enough for leftovers.
I remind myself I want to retire in 2-3 years so I need to quit buying work clothes.
Flat shoes only and I am loving slip on Skechers.
I do what pleases me with no pressure to please others. Both at work and in my personal life.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:42 AM

35,168 posts, read 31,475,700 times
I stopped caring about all of superficial things and what people think of me to a large degree. I'm much more "if you don't like it, go pound sand" now.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:14 AM

26,665 posts, read 28,789,947 times
I've cut way down on cooking. Instead, I'll make a smoothie or heat up a "healthy" frozen pizza or burrito.
dh can cook for himself. Often I'll roast some vegetables or something else just so we'll get some nutrition. Meals can be eaten at any time.

Gave up cross country skiing--never had time when I was working and then when I stopped working, they had changed the type of bindings on the skiis so I just gave up. There was never anyone to go with anyway.

Gave up riding a bike. I'm scared of falling at my age.

I VERY rarely iron. Just pillowcases when I get a big enough pile of them.

Still have the land line--it's cheap and I always know where the phone is and that it is charged. I carry a few dollars in paper money but haven't bought anything with cash in about ten years. Rewards cards are great.

I rarely watch tv. There's nothing on.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:26 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,871,401 times
There are many things every year/decade that I stop doing and many more that I start doing. Life itself seems like a cycle of adaptations to ones circumstances, physical capabilities and an ever- changing world. However, a few important things I've stopped doing in the 10-years since retiring,

I've stopped trying to be what other people think I should be or do (work, home, church, world). I no longer live according to someone else's schedule, agenda or expectations.

I've stopped trying to match my retirement to my pre-retirement picture of constant activity (golf, fishing, preaching/teaching, boating, reading/writing, grandkids, travel, etc.). Instead, I'm more relaxed and satisfied with doing whatever I feel like doing at the time ... without stress or worry.

I've stopped worrying about money or 'having enough.' We no longer write checks/balance the checkbook, spend cash or fret about paying the bills. Everything is either paid for or pretty much on 'autopay,' including the CC bill at the end of the month.

I've stopped worrying about what the politicians and media 'think or say' about what is happening in the world -- or their 'outrage of the hour/day. I keep track of the big picture, but, ignore the stressful haggling and angst of our 'hair-on-fire' world.

I've stopped doing things in excess (eating, drinking, debating, pursuing new things, etc). A slow, measured pace generally gets the job done better.

Old 08-28-2019, 09:37 AM

18,760 posts, read 11,829,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I stopped working.

A rep for making me smile today

What have I stopped doing
The only thing I can think of is trying to roller skate backwards or ice skate backwards. That mishap last year cost me a whole summer.

Old 08-28-2019, 11:15 AM

11,100 posts, read 6,699,741 times
This could be a depressing list. I stopped:

River Rafting

Horseback riding or keeping horses

Bike riding except on hard sand

Skiing or skating

Swimming (bad joints)

Driving at night (10 years ago)

Driving at all---no more cars

Hiking (now it's just beach walking)

Lifting weights or Pilates (bad joints)

Writing letters

Receiving/sending Mail

Getting/making Phone calls or text

Going to any store except groceries

Drinking at home

WHEW.

Old 08-28-2019, 01:13 PM

15,253 posts, read 13,025,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
This could be a depressing list. I stopped:

River Rafting

Horseback riding or keeping horses

Bike riding except on hard sand

Skiing or skating

Swimming (bad joints)

Driving at night (10 years ago)

Driving at all---no more cars

Hiking (now it's just beach walking)

Lifting weights or Pilates (bad joints)

Writing letters

Receiving/sending Mail

Getting/making Phone calls or text

Going to any store except groceries

Drinking at home

WHEW.

I'm sorry. I had no idea it was that bad for you. You always seem so upbeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement