Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 11:13 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times

Advertisements

Vinyl, 8-tracks, cassettes, CDs and now digital. We've come a long way...

What method do you retirees use to access/listen to your music?

We still have boxes of CDs but now the Bose has given up the ghost so trying to decide what new method to use. I hate to chuck all those CDs, after all. I guess we could get a CD player and hook it to the TV sound bar, if they even MAKE CD players anymore....

Seems our peers are making playlists and using the phone to store them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 11:35 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,232,807 times
CDs, LPs, and some streaming.

Old 09-15-2019, 11:41 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Vinyl, 8-tracks, cassettes, CDs and now digital. We've come a long way...

What method do you retirees use to access/listen to your music?

We still have boxes of CDs but now the Bose has given up the ghost so trying to decide what new method to use. I hate to chuck all those CDs, after all. I guess we could get a CD player and hook it to the TV sound bar, if they even MAKE CD players anymore....
They still make them, but the ones in the stores are crappy plastic machines with lousy plastic speakers, or small speakers made of think wood composite. So, the sound is not like a run-of-the-mill 80s stereo system.

CD's.....gosh, so many neat little boxes. When I last tried to count, it came close to 1,000. I still have them.

Quote:
Seems our peers are making playlists and using the phone to store them.
I very much enjoy making songlists, and I use my CD's as a resource, as well as buying songs on the net.

I am supposed to feel guilty about not cleaning out before I croak. But the CDs are all in boxes by category, and there is a charity shop at the end of the street. They will love to get 'em.

5,853 posts, read 5,281,784 times
I have a lot of vinyl but haven't played a record in a long time-don't have a turntable hooked up. I usually listen to CDs (and sometimes cassette tapes) when I am doing dishes. I have a boom box in the kitchen so I can sing & dance as I working. I have even bought some new CDs in the past few months.

I will also listen to music via my computer from YouTube. But this is only maybe one or two songs at a time. Hubby is usually on his computer in the same room and I know that he may not like some of the music that I play-but some he does like.

Cat

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times
I still use a CD player, I don't know anything else. lol Yes, they still make cd players.

Old 09-15-2019, 11:42 AM

30,527 posts, read 16,222,191 times
CDs here but also wondering what to do when my cd player dies.

Old 09-15-2019, 11:49 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
Digital. Amazon once had a feature where they would store your music up in their cloud and I uploaded hundreds of out-of-print CDs to it. They stopped offering the service but grandfathered in what I'd already uploaded. I've also purchased hundreds of albums off Amazon and I do make my own playlists.

I still have the CDs but they are out of their cases and in about 10 large folio albums.

How I listen to music has changed over the years, too. Once I would put on a record, put headphones on, stretch out on the floor and just listen. Now music is something I quite enjoy but it is on in the background and the fact that digital music (particularly streaming) loses quite a bit of fidelity doesn't really bother me.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 09-15-2019, 11:54 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,356,641 times
I bought a gizmo several years ago at Best Buy that allowed me to insert CD's and extract the contents. Then my nephew worked his magic and out them all on my iPhone. I play them in my car all the time. Another gizmo allows me to hook the phone up to my Bose and play the music that way. Modern technology and young, tech savvy relatives - YAY!

Old 09-15-2019, 11:59 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,520,476 times
4600 more or less songs on my iPod, played throughout the day through my sound bar.
Songs range from the 40s to the end of the 20th century, all with great momories.

Old 09-15-2019, 12:33 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement