Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 05:30 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,245,419 times

Advertisements

Being at home more the last couple of days (due to the hurricane prep) made me realize I need to do something about eating under stress.

I know my husband was just trying to be helpful and buy things we could eat if the power went out - well, 2 boxes of Ritz Crackers and peanut butter.

Well, one box is now gone and the hurricane didn't even hit.

It got me to thinking when I'm home more eventually and retired - how did you handle eating?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 05:49 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,918,148 times
Well, I traded those delicious Ritz crackers for one New York style bagel w/peanut butter for breakfast, then I go to the barn and do chores ----- all the while thinking about what I will eat for lunch, lollol

I have to REALLY pay attention to what and how much I eat because fat calories stalk me, lollol

BTW, good thoughts coming your way - I hope you escape damage and harm.

I can't believe Dorian is STILL stalled over the Bahamas. Now they are wondering about the possibility of the Grand Bahama Island flooding clear across the island to the south side.

What a stressful nightmare for those of you in its path----

Old 09-02-2019, 06:21 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,277,063 times
Will you be stressed by being at home? If not - nothing to worry about if you are only a stressed over eating

When i retired from the military, i sort of let myself go. Gained about 40 lbs. That lasted for about a year. Did not like it at all.

I don't even know how i gained it, since now i cannot eat huge amounts of food. Do eat lots of fruit. No sodas except diet. Get the smaller portions when we go out to eat.

Old 09-02-2019, 06:28 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,979,734 times
Why would eating be a problem when retired? It seems you ate the crackers because you're under stress with Dorian coming. I hope the hurricane misses you completely, fingers crossed that everyone is okay.

Old 09-02-2019, 06:32 PM

Smile It just got me thinking about the future....

Willpower - I obviously lack this gene.

Of course, I would not usually buy Ritz Crackers and I think the last time I ate peanut butter was Hurricane Wilma, October 2005 of which I gained 12 pounds.

It got me to thinking because I was rather bored today. I know everything's closed and that's a big part of it but still how will I react 5, 10 years from now when I'm there by myself and something dangerous is in the refrigerator?

It's easier for me to eat healthy when I'm working - more on a schedule.

How did those of you handle it when you retired if you like food (the bad stuff)?

I had a few e-mails from work that I needed to do and respond to so we got in the car. We were the only car on the road and work 2 miles from where we live.

Just getting away from the refrigerator helps. I feel like throwing away the other box but it's for my husband also and it's for when the power goes out - if it does.

So far, just windy, some rain. We've had normal days way worse than this.

Poor Bahamas.

Old 09-02-2019, 07:43 PM

Smile I started thinking ----

Yes, we've had the hurricane prep and scare. It has not been that bad though.

Poor Bahamas. I can't imagine and it's stalled.

But, it got me to thinking that I'm a project oriented, detail oriented person who has always lived with deadlines and gets that adrenaline rush when something is accomplished. I've always had to work a lot from the age of 15 and I did put a lot of dreams aside some of which would be not realistic to pursue today.

We talk about getting financially prepared but how about just mentally prepared from going from really super chaotic busy to nothing?

I think a lot of women were SAHM moms and thank God for them. My two sisters were and they have tons and tons of friends and activities going on. How about women who have worked all their lives and they have had to do so?

I've volunteered at different times in my life and yes, I would be doing some of that.

Now, if we moved to a 55 plus, there would be a lot to do but my husband is not sure about moving into one.

He is used to being by himself; me not so much. At least, I know that about myself now and I want to plan for that.

At the same time, my vision issues stop me from doing some things.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:04 PM

1,664 posts, read 1,918,148 times
You could take up a sport that tend to be precise -- golf? Tennis?

Learn to shoot pool? Now that's a precise sport and you don't have to go to a bar to play

Old 09-02-2019, 08:34 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times
When I retired in 2011, I was pushing 250 and looked miserable. Eight years later I'm at 210, walk 5 to 6 miles every day and have my regular chores I do. One thing my wife and I do very deliberately is to cut way down on carbs. We eat a lot of protein, lean meat, salads, and most importantly, we don't eat out a lot. Preparing delicious meals is a joy itself.

Another thing. I retired, but for at least a year I worked seasonal jobs and volunteered a lot which helped to ease me into retirement. We have a half acre property with a big barn. We have 6 raised beds and spend time caring for vegetables and I putter around in my shop a lot, building furniture and repairing things.

Good luck with everything!

Old 09-03-2019, 01:05 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Being at home more the last couple of days (due to the hurricane prep) made me realize I need to do something about eating under stress.

I know my husband was just trying to be helpful and buy things we could eat if the power went out - well, 2 boxes of Ritz Crackers and peanut butter.

Well, one box is now gone and the hurricane didn't even hit.

It got me to thinking when I'm home more eventually and retired - how did you handle eating?
I do eat out of boredom and stress as well. I retired last December and so far so good on following a good diet....harder when away from home as I was the last couple of days. For me eating properly was learned from reading a book The Plant Paradox and that has served me well when I was working and also now in retirement.

Old 09-03-2019, 04:38 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,521,188 times
Retirement can be a shock. If someone does not already have outside interests it will be more difficult.

Start exploring for things you might like to do. Ask around (neighbors, etc). Try new things if only once. If you have a senior center in your town explore there. Your library may have ideas. I take a daily walk for about a half an hour. Helps me center and focus. I build ideas off of that. And it keeps me active. I also run into peope to talk to.

I know one retired couple that takes inexpensive bus tours. Check into that. At one time there were a lot of organized bus day trips in my area. They would go into local cities for the day. Not sure they are still available but maybe you have this in your area.

Regarding nutrition. This is a problem for many. Ask your doctor for ideas. The nurse at my mother's doctors office was able to supply us with ideas for her. Small meals every three hours. If even a half of a sandwich. Fruit/vegetable smoothie (reconditioned Vitamix). Cottage cheese. Bananas, pears, apples, etc.. Cold cereals. Warm canned soups. Hardboiled eggs are always in my fridge. A protein drink once a day. Muscle Milk was recommended by a visiting nurse. Fairlife, Ensure, Boost, etc.. My grocery store has a free dietitian who has given us ideas.

Actually when we retire we take on an entire new set of responsibilities. Takes time and effort to figure it out.

"Go forward young grasshopper"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement