Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 03:21 PM

106,608 posts, read 108,757,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Men always have tons of excuses why they "can't" date women their own age.
More likely won’t rather than can’t ...my wife is two years older then me , for the record
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2019, 04:26 PM

12,058 posts, read 10,266,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik4me View Post
Why wouldn’t we as a country want our boys tough?
Why is it important to wear one’s emotions on the sleeve?
How does it fit with the survival of the fittest and the everyday human struggles in life?
How does a society benefit from enforcing the upbringing of the boys to be emotional?
I would like to know..

To stay on topic: I suggest to older guys to take an advertisement in a local paper(s) for a woman/ women they would like to befriend to go snowmobiling, theatre, church picnics- or shoot pool- whatever!
Arrange to receive it at the post office - request a substantial letter with the description of what that particular woman is looking for in a man- ask for honesty. Be honest- it might work! You may get if not a lover, but a friendly company... they may introduce you to someone. Give life/ love a chance! ( you might be able to weed out wackos- don’t disclose your finances or a lack of relatives- common sense)
Don’t forget to send me a thank you note.
Maybe it should be that we should all be tough in some way

I'm female, but i am usually tasked to do the more manly duties amongst my female friends

Bury dead animals, go with them when they get thier cars serviced. Things like that

It can get exasperating.

Old 09-20-2019, 04:32 PM

12,058 posts, read 10,266,099 times
And also be aware that not all men are "tough" and not all women are "frilly".

Accept each person for what they are. If its not what you want, head on down the road and find someone that is.

Old 09-20-2019, 04:52 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,937,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
And also be aware that not all men are "tough" and not all women are "frilly".
Lake Wobegone:
Where all the women are strong, the men are good looking and the children are above average.

Old 09-20-2019, 06:07 PM

705 posts, read 505,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Sometimes, where you live has a lot to do with it. Women your age in Park City, a ski resort town, are into outdoor activities: skiing & snowboarding, of course, but also snowshoeing ski-skating, cross country skiing, skating, snowmobiling, and the like. After the ski resorts close for the season, you'll find them biking, hiking, running, stand-up paddle boarding, horseback riding, jet skiing, etc.

I suspect much of it has to do with a selection bias: people who wish to engage in outdoor activities tend to live in places such as Park City.
Yes, I agree. Most if not all women in my location and age have given up. I’m out there mountain biking and trail running and if I see a female, very rare, they are in their 20’s or younger. I’ve been doing my sports for the last year or so and have yet to see a female my age. Sad. But lots of land whales, my age, like 90%+ at the cookie isle grocery shopping. Not healthy.

Old 09-21-2019, 03:37 AM

106,608 posts, read 108,757,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011KTM530 View Post
Yes, I agree. Most if not all women in my location and age have given up. I’m out there mountain biking and trail running and if I see a female, very rare, they are in their 20’s or younger. I’ve been doing my sports for the last year or so and have yet to see a female my age. Sad. But lots of land whales, my age, like 90%+ at the cookie isle grocery shopping. Not healthy.
at the gym we go to daily there are quite a few older women but it is rare i will find many of them attractive physically . most are in very poor shape and while i respect the fact they are at the gym trying there really isn't much physically to be attracted to ... many times my wife will take a tread mill to run in front of me at the front of the building and because she has so many gym outfits if i didn't see her get on i don't know it's her at first and it's like in my head i am going "yeah she's a do " only to realize its my wife lol .....

when i told her how i didn't realize it was her , she said " i guess i can take that as a compliment "

Last edited by mathjak107; 09-21-2019 at 03:47 AM..

Old 09-21-2019, 04:53 AM

4,149 posts, read 3,902,997 times
I have always found the best way to meet women is to gather numbers from men's bathroom walls at truck stops. Often times you already know their best qualities. 'For a good @@@@ call Judy at 555-1212"

Old 09-21-2019, 09:20 AM

11,295 posts, read 18,878,491 times
Hi I am in my early 50s and likely on the verge of getting a divorce. I loved all these responses as this is very helpful and heartening to hear. I am in many ways quite "young" for my age (not that it's exactly "old" or anything LOL!) but I agree that I doubt I would relate well with a woman under 40 and have no problem being with someone a bit older than I either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
More likely won’t rather than can’t ...my wife is two years older then me , for the record
So is (soon the be was? LOL) mine.

Old 09-21-2019, 11:03 AM

515 posts, read 360,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elliedeee View Post
Even though I'm a happily married women who doesn't wear a wedding ring and isn't interested in meeting men. I do meet and happily chat with quite a few obviously single older men while food shopping late on a weekend evenings. You might want to try that sometime OP. Even if she's not interested in a relationship.. the practice is good for you, and who knows.. she may even have a friend that's single.

"Don't wear a wedding ring" - That is why online dating is sometimes an advantage. When I see older women, the first thing I look for is a ring. If she has some huge sparkler on her finger I know the situation. If no ring - I try to get more information. It is annoying when you chat up a woman only to find out she has a husband. The same thing happens when you find out they have been living with some guy for years. Fortunately, most women will lay it on you right off the bat. All you have to do is ask - "do anything fun last weekend" - and that is their cue to say - "I did xyz with my husband, boyfriend, significant other" - and that is the end of that.

Thanks for the ideas, I like the one about tennis. And I might try pickle ball. Anything has to be better than online dating. And for the record, all I want is some companionship and intelligent conversation. I'm not looking for a caregiver!

Old 09-21-2019, 11:40 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,753,835 times
My husband and I never wear any ring either. Same with his parents and mine. His parents marriage lasted 65 years until death. When I was single, I wore a ring just to thwart off inappropriate advances. I wouldn’t go by that alone. Just be out there active doing things you like to do and you will meet people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement