Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2021, 05:28 PM

5,455 posts, read 4,060,534 times

Advertisements

Indian cuisine uses ghee, clarified butter.

Old 10-22-2021, 07:21 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,974,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Indian cuisine uses ghee, clarified butter.
I didn't know that. Do you know if it's due to the British influence?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2021, 08:42 PM

4,539 posts, read 3,760,739 times
Long before the British.

https://www.indiastudychannel.com/re...nefits-of-ghee

Old 10-23-2021, 07:50 AM

I discovered a downside to the new shed/garage: DH is putting the Mini up on jacks out there to change oil and drain the radiator. I’m going outside to work in the yard so I can be within earshot. If he was doing this in the attached garage, I could hear the a possible thump and call 911.
Oh well, I needed to get out there, it’s just sooner than later.

We ordered a tent this morning to use at a FL state park dark sky designation in February. That is something I would have never dreamed of doing in Florida before we lived here. With tent camping and doing some major yard projects in the heat this summer, it’s clear we have adapted, acclimated and adopted this as home.

Last edited by jean_ji; 10-23-2021 at 07:59 AM..

Old 10-24-2021, 11:48 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,974,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Thanks for the link.

Well, that blows my theory out of water

But my hunch was correct, butter is not used in Chinese or East Asian cookings

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/01/w...e%20intolerant.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Cooking/com..._asian_dishes/

Old 10-25-2021, 06:30 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,668,329 times
Well, autumn is definitely rolling in. The trees are turning more every day and we looks like we can kiss 70 degrees goodbye until next spring. Next ten days are 50s and 60 daytime and 30s and 40s at night. About time to put the heated mattress pad on for the winter.

The hummingbirds are gone, so we have switched to peanut butter suet, which makes the woodpeckers very happy. Salad tomorrow night will have a last Brandywine red and a few yellow pear tomatoes from the garden and then it will be back to store tomatoes.

We had to go to a hospital in downtown Nashville today for a PET scan for my wife. It was our first time driving in Nashville and I was rather dreading it because of the Nashville traffic. I "drove" it on Google beforehand so I knew what lanes I had to be in and when. It went surprisingly smooth; not that I would want to drive it very often. Worst part of the whole trip was how long it took to get our vehicle from the valet service.

Old 10-27-2021, 07:51 AM

We have a storm and cold front coming in tomorrow, otherwise it’s still been summer (hot/humid). The forecast is for 77 on Halloween, which will be nice. It’s been upper eighties or low nineties for Halloween since we moved here with one time of being in the 70’s.

We had a bad night and a crappy day yesterday after the Moderna booster on Monday. We feel much better and are back to our usual selves this morning. I knew we were not feeling well when the tent we ordered was delivered yesterday and we did not even unbox it.

We pushed back the furniture this morning and set the tent up in the foyer. It’s a pop-up that sets up in 90 seconds; 5 minutes for getting it out of the bag, laying down the footprint and putting on the rain fly. It’s 94” x 94” and 78” tall and sleeps four. We put it up, checked it out thoroughly and tore it in down in less than a half hour. We are excited now!

Hmmm… I may not be all the way back to my normal self, I didn’t take a photo of it.

Last edited by jean_ji; 10-27-2021 at 08:05 AM..

Old 10-27-2021, 09:03 AM

119 posts, read 85,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post

Hmmm… I may not be all the way back to my normal self, I didn’t take a photo of it.
You know the social media mantra, Jean - pics, or it didn't happen!

Old 10-27-2021, 09:44 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,668,329 times
Looks like we will have another neighborhood house going up for sale. Two sisters in their 90s lived across the street. The older one who was 98 just passed away and the other one can't stay there by herself. So she has been moved out by the kids and the house is being spruced up.

I'm actually thinking about maybe buying it. The house is about the size of our downstairs and we really hardly ever go upstairs to the bonus room; it is basically a storage room. And the house is on a flat lot of about a half acre with a lot of trees in back. Really nice covered back porch and front porch. Having been over there, I know what the living/kitchen/dining areas are like, but have never seen the bedrooms/bathrooms.

It sure would be an easy move of about 300 feet and I could look out the front windows across the street to see my Franklin tree. Something to think about; but I would have to convince my wife and we would have to move quick as homes here are snapped up in a flash

Old 10-27-2021, 09:58 AM

43,150 posts, read 18,306,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Looks like we will have another neighborhood house going up for sale. Two sisters in their 90s lived across the street. The older one who was 98 just passed away and the other one can't stay there by herself. So she has been moved out by the kids and the house is being spruced up.

I'm actually thinking about maybe buying it. The house is about the size of our downstairs and we really hardly ever go upstairs to the bonus room; it is basically a storage room. And the house is on a flat lot of about a half acre with a lot of trees in back. Really nice covered back porch and front porch. Having been over there, I know what the living/kitchen/dining areas are like, but have never seen the bedrooms/bathrooms.

It sure would be an easy move of about 300 feet and I could look out the front windows across the street to see my Franklin tree. Something to think about; but I would have to convince my wife and we would have to move quick as homes here are snapped up in a flash
Dig that puppy up and move it across the street with you !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement