Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2021, 06:23 AM

19,821 posts, read 9,381,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
Life is funny, my past bridges these two posts.

In college in LA, I lived in Redondo Beach, in a small 750sq ft apartment on Carnegie Lane. My best friend lived in Manhattan beach, and we rode our motorcycles all over the region from Anza Borrego/Death Valley to rallies at Griffith Park. Eventually he dropped his apt in Manhattan, and moved in with me in Redondo. I met my wife in Laguna Beach when she was at the end of a divorce. We hit it off and she asked me the most amazing question a woman could ever ask me. She said "I'm in a small apartment here, and need a place to store my baby grand piano. Do you have room for it?" The next two years, Bill and I lived in an apartment with a living room containing two small chairs and a huge piano. The writing was on the wall.

I worked in Palos Verdes, and later, Woodland Hills, in the valley. I hated the drive from Redondo to WH; it took so long in traffic. I think that was the final straw that eventually burned me out on CA.

Despite the number of people in the world, it has the markings of a very small place indeed.

Edit: I forgot; our first move from CA was to Lyons, CO near boulder. We always had season passes to Winter Park, and would ski at A-Basin and Copper all the time. Now I live near two ski areas less close by. Not the stature of Colorado, but good, regardless. Especially for people that have gone from green to blue to black to blue and now green again. Nothing like closing the circle!

Our second move was to Houlton, ME. (Don't ask why; don't have that answer) Then we moved just south of Bangor, and finally bought property near Freeport. Lived there for 15 years.
Yes, I know Lyon fairly well as we routinely drove through it on our trips to Rocky Mountain National Park. And I regularly went to Keystone Resort, which owns A-Basin, although I only skied there once. Btw, we actually spent our honeymoon at Keystone after getting married in Golden in 1987.

And this is TOO funny, but we lived in Bridgton, ME for three years 2004-2007); and we went to Freeport several times, mainly to shop the LLBean store.

(Now if you lived in Alabama or Ohio, that would be stretching credibility! I lived in Alabama for just nine months, and I was born and lived in Ohio until my parents moved to SoCal in 1963, when I was nine.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2021, 07:43 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,190,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Yes, I know Lyon fairly well as we routinely drove through it on our trips to Rocky Mountain National Park. And I regularly went to Keystone Resort, which owns A-Basin, although I only skied there once. Btw, we actually spent our honeymoon at Keystone after getting married in Golden in 1987.

And this is TOO funny, but we lived in Bridgton, ME for three years 2004-2007); and we went to Freeport several times, mainly to shop the LLBean store.

(Now if you lived in Alabama or Ohio, that would be stretching credibility! I lived in Alabama for just nine months, and I was born and lived in Ohio until my parents moved to SoCal in 1963, when I was nine.)
Our paths just split. Never visited Alabama, and have only driven through Ohio. Apparently, we're not clones

Old 11-19-2021, 09:12 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,974,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I lived in Alabama for just nine months, and I was born and lived in Ohio until my parents moved to SoCal in 1963, when I was nine.
Katharsis,

It looks like I've been following you around.

I moved to California in '85 then to Alabama in '08

Old 11-19-2021, 04:40 PM

5,455 posts, read 4,060,534 times
super busy at the food shelf today. Tomorrow is Turkey Day, drive up event distributing turkey and fixings to hundreds of customers. I won't be there, too many people. I used to volunteer for the event pre-Covid. It's a massive undertaking, for example they rent an extra 4 or 5 Ryder box trucks to get the food to the site. Something for the young and strong to help out with, lol.

Old 11-19-2021, 05:50 PM

19,821 posts, read 9,381,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Katharsis,

It looks like I've been following you around.

I moved to California in '85 then to Alabama in '08
Oh, no -- a stalker, LOL!!!

Old 11-19-2021, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
Tomorrow is Turkey Day,.
Tomorrow is????

We're waiting to get together on Thursday

Old 11-20-2021, 05:16 AM

17,348 posts, read 11,297,907 times
My introvert self kicked in the other day. I was invited to spend Thanksgiving with some "friends" that own a store downtown here. I politely declined and thanked them. I already bought my own turkey breast to roast and am looking forward to having it by myself in my new house here. This must sound very strange to some people but I'm not at that comfort level yet.

I told them I would buy them lunch on Wednesday via Doordash to their store. They liked that idea.

I'm going to have a busy day today if I attend everything that I had planned.
There's the "Empty Bowl" event which is lunch benefiting the food bank here.

There's a new statue of Daniel Boone being commemorated in the downtown park. Then the city will trolley those that want to go up to the top of the hills for a walk overlooking the river to see some historic houses up there.

Tonight after church Knights of Columbus is having a dinner open to anyone who wants to attend. I RSVP'd. Those Irish guys get a little crazy, lol. I'm still not sure if I'm going to help them put together Thanksgiving meals for the needy on Thursday. I need to get more information tonight.

Last edited by marino760; 11-20-2021 at 06:04 AM..

Old 11-20-2021, 12:46 PM

Interesting that some people celebrate the Thanksgiving today (Saturday) instead of next Thursday on the 25th.

Old 11-20-2021, 12:56 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,668,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Interesting that some people celebrate the Thanksgiving today (Saturday) instead of next Thursday on the 25th.
I don't think it is a celebration; it sounds more like a Thanksgiving food distribution day

Old 11-20-2021, 01:22 PM

5,455 posts, read 4,060,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
I don't think it is a celebration; it sounds more like a Thanksgiving food distribution day
Exactly, it is Turkey Day, the day when the food shelf passes out Turkeys. Carry on with your normal Thanksgiving plans for Thursday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement