Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2022, 10:33 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,668,329 times

Advertisements

We have another winter blast on the way. It is going to start snowing around 8-9 AM tomorrow and continue pretty much all day. Three to five inches of snow and pretty darn cold; low around 7 tomorrow night and high of around 25 Friday. The nice thing is that these things don't last too long; it will be back up to 50s on Sunday.

Tomorrow is going to be a good day to just make some coffee and hang out at my desk, watching the snow fall. My wife has an appointment at the optometrist, but it is in the morning before much snow will be down, so she should be good to go. She had cataracts removed last month and now she gets to have some new glasses. Next up for me is get cataracts removed; all part of the continuing joy of getting on up there in years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2022, 11:19 AM

2,865 posts, read 1,811,707 times
MichiganGreg, Observations, on places you have lived, are living. There's no criticism, for me i.e. Maine about the state.

Olympic Peninsula, people who retire, consider this paradise ! Those who don't like grey 9 months of the year, become snowbirds, usually to AZ. For myself, DH wanted to move from northern California, 28 years ago, he's now in his eternal home.

Oakland, California, where I grew up, miss the diversity of people, ethnic restaurants, being across the bay from San Francisco. Oakland, doesn't have the best reputation, though a city, it has neighbourhoods, depends which neighborhood you live in. After 28 years, have, trying to grow where the good Lord has me !

Pizza, lived in Chicago a few months months in the 1960's, best pizza ! Minneapolis came a close 2nd.

Posters, share what you enjoy living where you reside. jeanji, the is love!y; may we have a Chat meeting there, please !

Old 01-06-2022, 11:27 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,974,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post

Oakland, California, where I grew up,
Just a short story about Oakland, CA.

About 20 years ago, I took my younger sister & nephew to Fort Bragg in NoCal to do some Salmon fishing. We flew into Oakland, rented a car and drove up. On the return, before I return the car I was looking for gas station to fill up the tank. As I was driving around looking for a gas station, I noticed a car that was following me. Made a right turn, then a left, sure enough this car was following me. It was 90 degrees out yet the 2 passengers in the car had ski mask on their heads. Finally I found a gas station and drove up. Told my sister to lock the car after I get out to fill up the gas.

I think that was closest for us to being robbed, or car jacked.

Old 01-06-2022, 12:48 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,190,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
MichiganGreg, Observations, on places you have lived, are living. There's no criticism, for me i.e. Maine about the state.

Olympic Peninsula, people who retire, consider this paradise ! Those who don't like grey 9 months of the year, become snowbirds, usually to AZ. For myself, DH wanted to move from northern California, 28 years ago, he's now in his eternal home.

Oakland, California, where I grew up, miss the diversity of people, ethnic restaurants, being across the bay from San Francisco. Oakland, doesn't have the best reputation, though a city, it has neighborhoods, depends which neighborhood you live in. After 28 years, have, trying to grow where the good Lord has me !

Pizza, lived in Chicago a few months months in the 1960's, best pizza ! Minneapolis came a close 2nd.

Posters, share what you enjoy living where you reside. jeanji, the is love!y; may we have a Chat meeting there, please !
Thanks! If I expounded upon our living experiences across the US, this would become a very long post, so I'll keep it short. Let's just say that between my wife and I, we have acquired 5 lifetimes of experiences living in 7 homes, 12 leased apartments across some great spots in the US. We've lived all over Southern California, in the mountains of Colorado, in Tucson, Arizona, all across Maine, and now are retired in Michigan. During my work in these states, my job has taken me literally back and forth across the US at least 15 times, but also to Kansai Science City (between Osaka and Kyoto) Japan, to Lyon France, South Korea, and up and down across eastern China from Ningbo and Shanghai, to Weihai, and Beijing. Every experience contained moments of awe, and thankfulness. Some for entering the experience, some for leaving it. I am finally glad to be able to look out a window at the snow, and enjoy the show without having to do any more travel...I've had enough.

Old 01-06-2022, 03:13 PM
JRR

I think we will be staying in tonight

Click image for larger version

Name:	heavy snow.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	234088

Old 01-06-2022, 04:56 PM

It's sunny 63 degrees in the Southland. Just finished our weekly shopping at Costco.

While waiting on the check out line, this guy in front of us only had a box of milk but for some reason his debit card wasn't working so the cashier had to go get help. That held up the line. Both the cashier and the "bag boy" weren't happy. I could tell they were a bit stressed out by the delay. The "bag boy" has to be in His 60s but he was fast. Afterward I put my hand on his shoulder and said you know, for a grey beards you move pretty fast. He laughed and I could tell that relieved his stress a bit. We both waved at each other goodbye.

Old 01-07-2022, 09:43 AM
JRR

The birds had totally emptied the feeders so I went out and refilled them this morning. Six inches of snow and a temperature of 13 degrees; I hope that the birds and squirrels appreciate my efforts.

Old 01-07-2022, 09:53 AM

Conversation with DW this morning

Me: Honey, I am going out for a drive
DW: Why?
Me: Because I feel like it
DW: But I am not ready. Give me an hour.
Me: You don't have to come with me. If you're ready in 15 minutes you can come along.
DW: OK... OK

Just now as I type this..
DW: OK, I'll get ready....

Old 01-07-2022, 11:02 AM

5,948 posts, read 5,117,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Conversation with DW this morning

Me: Honey, I am going out for a drive
DW: Why?
Me: Because I feel like it
DW: But I am not ready. Give me an hour.
Me: You don't have to come with me. If you're ready in 15 minutes you can come along.
DW: OK... OK

Just now as I type this..
DW: OK, I'll get ready....

My advice? Get in the car and go.

Old 01-07-2022, 04:33 PM

2,690 posts, read 1,615,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
The birds had totally emptied the feeders so I went out and refilled them this morning. Six inches of snow and a temperature of 13 degrees; I hope that the birds and squirrels appreciate my efforts.
Michigan here and you have more snow and are as cold as we are. Florida's too crowded. Maybe global warming will fix that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement