Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2023, 11:26 AM

2,859 posts, read 1,803,509 times

Advertisements

Thank each of you for sharing your families, history.

My paternal cousin, 16 years older, (she was the youngest of the first 4 grandchildren, I'm the first of the next 4) knew quite a bit of of the family. Wish I thought you ask more about our family.

Jim, you did serve our country in another service to our country. Thank yo

Happier memories, traditions ? Shared on another Thread, Christmas morning, 6 am, would wake up to the march of The Stars and Stripes Forever from the stereo downstairs.
Mom wanted Christmas day to begin !

Good Yule !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2023, 02:06 PM

24,480 posts, read 10,815,620 times
A question for those who are on good terms with search functions:
CD had a thread about an investment brokerage affiliated with Citizens Bank, Johnston, RI earlier this year. I am looking for it. Thank you!

Old 12-14-2023, 10:53 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,014,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
One of my friends just a couple of houses down who I grew up with was drafted and went to Vietnam as a medic was never quite the same after he came home. Moody and developed a hair trigger temper. His marriage fell apart and he wound up putting a trailer on a piece of land in the North Carolina mountains and basically became a hermit.

I will say that my time in the Coast Guard was overall good for me as I had to grow up quickly. In four years I went from an 18 year old high school dropout who had never been away from home to a first class petty officer (equivalent of a staff sergeant in the army). I was on a road for a pretty good career but I just couldn't deal with the idea that at least half of my time for the next 20 years would entail sea duty.
It was startling to me when my brother returned from 'Nam and dive bombed under our dining room table during a thunderstorm. But overall, he's doing o.k.
The nephew who served in Afghanistan was in his early to mid-20's when he enlisted, and his fellow soldiers referred to him as the old man. He was also briefly mentioned in a book and a movie about the war.
When he was discharged, he moved to EBF in North Carolina, but he and his partner are looking to move to the mountains in West Virginia. I'm sure there are more than a few vets that want to escape "civilization".

Old 12-15-2023, 06:03 AM

19,499 posts, read 9,528,287 times
My Dad had one of those stereos that when he turned up the volume you could practically hear it vibrate throughout the whole house and what a dummy I was when we moved in and I picked my bedroom. Apparently it was going to be right above where he put in the stereo! Then he buys his favourite choice records (that’s what they were back in the early 60’s) and many were Marches, orchestra, sound effects? No, but could have been as far as I was concerned. He had one where the beginning sounded like a huge jet taking off. That used he did to wake me up on what I thought was a fairly early [peaceful] weekend morning.

Old 12-18-2023, 04:37 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Exciting news here today. There's a winter adversary posted for the area. There's about a 30% chance of snow, the first of the season. Yes, we might get up to 1 inch later this afternoon, LOL. It's still in the 40s outside this morning.

Old 12-18-2023, 08:10 AM
JRR

8,159 posts, read 5,653,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Exciting news here today. There's a winter adversary posted for the area. There's about a 30% chance of snow, the first of the season. Yes, we might get up to 1 inch later this afternoon, LOL. It's still in the 40s outside this morning.
I saw that in the forecast and am envious. We are in the cycle of when it is cold enough the air is dry and when we have moisture the air is too warm. Oh well, we still have two+ months of winter left here to get some snow. Enjoy your first winter snow!

Old 12-18-2023, 09:13 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,360,805 times
^^^^I just walked 8 minutes to Aldi (grocery store) to get a few items that fit in my knapsack, then walked back home. There's a light-moderate northwest breeze and temps are about 37F/3C. There are even patches of blue sky. I saw a few snowflakes falling, but not enough to stick. The ground and pavement is too warm, as the overnight temp was above freezing. I see a few blobs of rain/snow headed this way on the weather radar website, but it won't amount to much.

So far the cold weather season has been very mild, and this week looks like I'll be able to go bike riding at least 4 days. Not bad for the back half of December.

Old 12-18-2023, 02:59 PM

19,499 posts, read 9,528,287 times
Feeling a bit under the weather still. Haven't been sneezing as much, so that's a plus. Thinking combination cold and allergies.

The other night I kinda burnt the roof of my mouth on an appetizer that Mr C brought out to the coffee table and set down. I popped it my mouth before he had the chance to say be careful, they're hot (yeah in both spice and temp). The last thing on his mind is bringing out something to drink. I always need something to drink (even if it's water) but he eats all kinds of food without getting anything to drink, unless it's beer to go with his dinner. I don't see how he does it. I've tried and choked.

Old 12-19-2023, 05:56 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,753,269 times
While watching the news and drinking my cup of coffee this morning I looked down to see this. I guess I’m their news.

Old 12-19-2023, 06:16 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,266,024 times
Jean, I adore your pets. My very first dog was a springer spaniel. I saved for months and months to buy him when I was a teenager. They are absolutely wonderful dogs, smart, people friendly and loyal. I miss my Bruno.

When my mother was growing up in Italy, they had a springer spaniel named Bobby. My uncle, then a teenager, would take him fishing out on the Adriatic with him. One night the dog fell off the boat and my uncle couldn't find him anywhere in the water. It was dark out.
After searching for hours, my uncle went back to shore heartbroken and in tears. He had to tell the family the dog was gone. When he got home, my grandmother opened the door for him, and Bobby the springer spaniel was there waiting for him.

Last edited by marino760; 12-19-2023 at 06:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement