Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2023, 11:00 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,662,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat1116 View Post
Getting so tired of the Verizon Christmas caroling commercial. Played way too often. Too bad we can’t put a cap on how many times the same commercial plays while watching on any particular channel. Now that would be a Smart TV .
My wife and I were just mentioning earlier this evening about how sick we are of that Verizon ad. I told her that since she is a stockholder in Verizon to get on the phone and throw her weight around about that ad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2023, 05:23 AM

4,537 posts, read 3,757,998 times
We have Frontier FIOS and they are dumping the cable business. We found out when our outside box couldn’t (or wouldn’t) be updated when we had problems. They were offering YouTube TV with $15/month off for a year.

I wasn’t overly impressed until I discovered everything can be recorded and commercials can be fast forwarded through. It is disconcerting to come back after turning off the news to find it picking it up where it left off and isn’t live. It’s cloud based so there’s no physical recorder

Better choice of channels with a faster internet speed for less money a month. Now that was a pleasant surprise!

Old 12-20-2023, 05:49 AM

17,343 posts, read 11,285,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
jeanji, those eyes ! What are your furbabies names ?

Serafina Joy was our rescue Maltese, then our last furbaby, another Maltese, Mattie Rose.
Understand, in Chinese, or so I've heard, many names, much love.

Marino, understand , Northern Italy, uses tomato sauce, Southern, pesto ? When I introduced my family, to pesto years ago, they prefer pesto. Mom would shop at Genoa's
Deli oh the food, I remember from my childhood home !
Pesto is from the Genoa area in northwest Italy, not southern. My family is from the Romagna region more in the northeast area below Venice. Sauces there are varied including the use of cream for things like tortellini.
Bechamel sauce is used in lasagna, and lasagna never had ricotta or mozzarella. Tomato sauces were sometimes meatless or with regular fish, mussels, clams or shrimp. Clam sauce was never white like you find in the U.S.

In all the time I've spent in Italy, I never had pesto or ever saw it

Did you know there is no such thing as garlic bread in Italy?

Last edited by marino760; 12-20-2023 at 06:25 AM..

Old 12-20-2023, 08:45 AM

19,806 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Pesto is from the Genoa area in northwest Italy, not southern. My family is from the Romagna region more in the northeast area below Venice. Sauces there are varied including the use of cream for things like tortellini.
Bechamel sauce is used in lasagna, and lasagna never had ricotta or mozzarella. Tomato sauces were sometimes meatless or with regular fish, mussels, clams or shrimp. Clam sauce was never white like you find in the U.S.

In all the time I've spent in Italy, I never had pesto or ever saw it

Did you know there is no such thing as garlic bread in Italy?
I love trivia/information like this!!

Old 12-21-2023, 03:16 PM

2,864 posts, read 1,809,208 times
Marino, thank you for all the information.

1979, Minneapolis,MN went to an Italian restaurant Mama D's (Giovanna D'Agostino )son the owner. As we approached our table, Mama was there, beautiful Italian woman ! Went to her and told her l'd seen her on the Mike Douglas Show. Her face lit up ! Purchased the 2 cookbooks she had authored And she sign them, con amore !

Pasta & Pizza, been making her spaghetti sauce ever since ! The other one, Mama D's Home style Italian Cookbook, the recipes are given like a meal, from entree to dessert. What also is so special, notes/instructions on the side, likes she's right there besides you !

She learned as a young bride, from dear Italian ladies, including her sisters-in-law; in the Forward she also learned various Italian dialects that came in handy when she visited Italy in 1970.

A memorable evening when visiting my in-laws the first time.

Old 12-22-2023, 05:58 PM

19,521 posts, read 9,543,957 times
Sheesh, can my 65 pound Lab plop down on the couch any harder? Owwww. Those were my shins bud .

Old 12-22-2023, 07:49 PM

Ouch cat ! Baby hurts wants to snuggle ! Color of Lab, fur baby's name ?

Old 12-23-2023, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Ouch cat ! Baby hurts wants to snuggle ! Color of Lab, fur baby's name ?
My hubby (Nick) named him “Beefeater” but really name is Angus.
He’s basically a sweet black Lab when he’s not being a brat and grabbing a shoe
or slipper. The other is a mix of Shiba Inu/Shep, he’s “AJ” , initials used ‘cuz name is taken in form from the previous one since they both kinda looked alike. They’re like a tag team tho they’re somewhat complete opposites when it comes to being quiet, taking food, laying down, and of course barking/howling, if that’s possible. At first thought AJ as baby all Shep but then when one of us sneezed and the other said bless you, Lil AJ looked back & forth at us and howled. It was a cute moment in time. One of my medical providers looked at his pics and said, that he looked a lot like a Shib. It was our local Humane Shelter where we adopted him that gave us the idea he was a Shepherd. Now, I’m greeted every waking with the sound of a French horn. AJ let’s loose . I, rather we, love these 2 knuckleheads.

Old 12-23-2023, 10:15 AM

Cat, so enjoyed your descriptions, their antics of Beefeater and AJ; WoW waking up to a French horn ! Awesome ! Medical providers ? In general or needing treatment, pray it's the first !

A very Merry Christmas to you cat, Nick, the 2 knuckleheads, er, Beefeater, AJ.

Old 12-23-2023, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Cat, so enjoyed your descriptions, their antics of Beefeater and AJ; WoW waking up to a French horn ! Awesome ! Medical providers ? In general or needing treatment, pray it's the first !

A very Merry Christmas to you cat, Nick, the 2 knuckleheads, er, Beefeater, AJ.
No, in general. Thanks.

Seeing much snow up where you are?

According to the latest weather map, it looks like some places further north of us are seeing warmer temps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement