Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2023, 06:21 AM

17,340 posts, read 11,268,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Exciting news here today. There's a winter adversary posted for the area. There's about a 30% chance of snow, the first of the season. Yes, we might get up to 1 inch later this afternoon, LOL. It's still in the 40s outside this morning.
The expected snow event was a huge let down. Some graupel (small snow pellets) fell for maybe 5-6 minutes and that was it. Tomorrow through Christmas temps will get back up to the mid to upper 50s here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2023, 06:22 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,753,826 times
Quote:
Jean, I adore your pets. My very first dog was a springer spaniel. I saved for months and months to buy him when I was a teenager. They are absolutely wonderful dogs, smart, people friendly and loyal. I miss my Bruno.
She is our third and best Springer: sweet, smart, and gentle. Our two cats adore her and when I’ve taken her to our son’s house, their three cats all accept her attentions. They know a good heart!
It seems like we just got her yesterday, but it will be five years ago on December 29th. She is laying pressed up against my lap, as I type this. Life is good for both of us!

I love your uncle’s story about Bobby! My aunt had a boxer named Candy who would swim on their lake checking all the boats until she found her boys when it was time for dinner.
When my aunt would drive by one intersection in town, Candy would start whimpering and she couldn’t figure out why. My cousins came home from college and explained they always stopped at the ice cream shop to get her a doggy cone by that crossroad.

Last edited by jean_ji; 12-19-2023 at 06:53 AM..

Old 12-19-2023, 08:47 AM

5,575 posts, read 6,501,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
While watching the news and drinking my cup of coffee this morning I looked down to see this. I guess I’m their news.
Precious!

Old 12-19-2023, 09:05 AM

I did dog sitting for several years. I would go to the owners' home and stay there while they were away. I considered it "mini vacations". My owners (I never called them "clients" as this was fun, not work, for me) were my community's residents and church "family". Word of mouth kept me as busy as I wanted to be.

By my "retirement" all the dogs had passed, as I limited it to older dogs who would not do well in a boarding facility. My favorite home, and a favorite dog, I hadn't been to in 3 years. One day doorbell rang, standing there were the couple who were the owners. Said they were getting a new puppy, actually 2 but at different times, and would I be the sitter? I came out of "retirement" just for them.

The puppy they got was a Springer Spaniel. Beautiful girl, larger than I expected. She was also very, very active. So active that when they returned from their out-of-town trip they were due to pick up the other puppy, also a Springer Spaniel, the next day and asked if I would be OK with both when they needed me. I said I'd have to meet the new puppy and see how the two interacted. A few days later I got word they passed on the second puppy. The one active one they already was enough for them to manage. I then agreed to continue sitting with just the one very active puppy. She is getting better as she gets older. She is about 5 months old now.

This couple had owned Springers in the past so they were familiar with the breed. "Daisy" is a tri-color (Brindle? Or is that color used for other breeds?).

Old 12-19-2023, 02:05 PM

New Topic...sent my 2 teen Granddaughter's each a check for Christmas, first time. Thought Dad would have to cash. Dated for December 25, 2023. Both texted to thank me and were thrilled, by the tone of the text. I texted back and mentioned not to cash them yet as they are Christmas gifts.

Saw yesterday both checks were presented for payment and were pending. I contacted their Dad about why. Seems they both have their own checking accounts and debit cards so they can learn about handling money. They both work and have to contribute to their car insurance and gas. So he knew nothing about this.

Called bank today to see why they paid post dated checks. Was told that I would have to send in writing to the bank to not pay a post dated check. As a former banker (NOT management) this is just another thing that has changed in the world, in the generations since I was young. (The money is there so that is not an issue).

Old 12-19-2023, 02:06 PM

2,859 posts, read 1,804,521 times
jeanji, those eyes ! What are your furbabies names ?

Serafina Joy was our rescue Maltese, then our last furbaby, another Maltese, Mattie Rose.
Understand, in Chinese, or so I've heard, many names, much love.

Marino, understand , Northern Italy, uses tomato sauce, Southern, pesto ? When I introduced my family, to pesto years ago, they prefer pesto. Mom would shop at Genoa's
Deli oh the food, I remember from my childhood home !

Old 12-19-2023, 05:48 PM

19,503 posts, read 9,530,130 times
Getting so tired of the Verizon Christmas caroling commercial. Played way too often. Too bad we can’t put a cap on how many times the same commercial plays while watching on any particular channel. Now that would be a Smart TV .

Old 12-19-2023, 08:20 PM

19,802 posts, read 9,345,163 times
Quote:
The expected snow event was a huge let down. Some graupel (small snow pellets) fell for maybe 5-6 minutes and that was it. Tomorrow through Christmas temps will get back up to the mid to upper 50s here.
Yeah, another reason for depression. So far we have had a whopping 2.5" of snow TOTAL since November, and it looks like mid-November here now, and snow is not even in the forecast. So much for the reputation of Midwest winters! (To date, we are about 8 degrees higher than average for December.)

Old 12-19-2023, 09:47 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
My fur aliens are the best part of my day

Old 12-19-2023, 10:10 PM

2,859 posts, read 1,804,521 times
Lodestar, we Posted a minute apart; wonderful your granddaughters thanked, by their text, appreciation too for.your gift .Your child is passing on the manners you taught them !

Banking, was a secretary, now administrative assistant? for a bank in San Francisco----55 Years ago !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement