Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 12:31 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,079,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shalhevet View Post
... we are making a list of places that are good possibilities, and we're going to try and take some vacations there. ....
Consider visiting these locations differently than a traditional 'vacation'. Try to simulate LIVING there as much as possible. Go off-season; Attend events and commute / recreation as if you were there on a daily basis. Stay in homes of local people if possible. Ask lots of questions of the locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 01:09 AM

3,602 posts, read 2,309,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josie13 View Post
Yes. I have my eye on London. It's my favorite place in the world.

I'm always happy when I spend time there; I'd like to make it my home as soon as I retire. The free 60+ Oyster card will make me so happy, not to mention all the free museums, galleries, and other cultural events. I have lots of money saved up for plays and other ticketed events. After more than 30 years of visits, both short and long, I know the city quite well.

Plus, housing costs are falling there because of Brexit. It seems that all the pieces are falling into place.
Are you able to get a visa?

Old 09-24-2019, 03:45 AM

3,102 posts, read 2,225,930 times
Have considered Germany. Still interested but will likely not do it. The reasons - (a) Tax implications on our retirement portfolio are substantial, (b) one of us (me) is not terribly fluent in German - and while it can be improved, have doubts whether I can get sufficient proficiency, (c) health insurance is difficult to get for retirees (from non-EU nations or German returnees). Weather can also be a factor as recycled mentioned earlier - though it’s not high on our list (yet).

Old 09-24-2019, 04:00 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,213,146 times
It's not that different. There are things you have to get used to not having, and it's up to you to learn, or not, how to accept it.

Being married to a native helps get over a lot of bumps, I just let her handle all the troublesome logistics. I'm pretty introverted so it doesn't bother me not having culture-mates to hang with, but I can see where that could be hard for some.

Cost isn't that different, except housing, transport. Full-pay medical is about 10%, in other words about equal to US copay, but inferior quality.

I've lived more than a year in Canada, Jordan, Chile, and now Philippines -- a few others for shorter stays. It's easy to roll with a few soft punches, just depends on a healthy philosophy..

Old 09-24-2019, 07:52 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,921,465 times
I looked into it, but we have an adult handicapped child that lives with us, so thats a no go.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:11 AM

521 posts, read 733,693 times
We have looked extensively into this but are pre retirement (I am 36) but plan on retiring at 50 as long as life continues as planned (so who knows if this will happen). If we were to leave now as a retiree it would be to Portugal in Europe as they have the easiest pathway to PR and are very immigrant friendly and inexpensive. You also then have access to the rest of Europe for traveling. The second choice would be Panama as they are very retiree friendly and have an easy PR pathway as well.

At this time we are working with an immigration attorney to go to Australia now since they don't accept retirees unless you can contribute $5M to a business. We like their policies and are hoping to get in early since it's much more difficult after 40 years old to get a PR visa. I am a RN and on the list of careers they need. So we are doing our retirement migration now because of the healthcare issues and possibility we won't get any SS at retirement age anyway. Canada is also good but too cold for us.

Make sure to look up FATCA as well before going.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:19 AM

12,388 posts, read 8,159,056 times
The bulk of the family is in, or at least based out of the Philippines so after spending the years earning the money time to take it out and spread the wealth.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:34 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,650,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
That was my question. The 1st world English-speaking countries generally don't want retirees unless you are a millionaire. Even Spain and Greece don't want you on their health plans as a retiree. You have to come with your own plan. They require about $2,500 monthly income minimum.

Ecuador had the easiest requirements of all. Only $800 in provable income monthly or a $25K investment. You can join their national health plan for $80 per month per couple. We've both used it, it's just fine. No co-pays or deductibles.

Nor have we "gone native" LOL. We're in a beach condo with other retirees. Barely speak any Spanish, either.

For our income, we have a vastly superior quality of life here, compared to how we'd have to live in the U.S.

Old 09-24-2019, 11:46 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,803,986 times
I am uncertain at this point and not even sure if I’m permanently retired. I’m living in Chile right now and have been since May and my daughter and grand baby live here too. We have tix to return to the states in early November and since she’s coming back to Chile and we bought them at the same time, they are round trip tix. So my point is that I have the option to return. I wasn’t sure if I liked it here at first but it has really grown on me, especially after I took some trips out of Santiago. I suspect I’ll get back to the states and want to turn right back around and come back here and a complicating factor is that I have no health insurance in the states now. So we shall see. My Spanish is coming along nicely too.

Old 09-24-2019, 01:20 PM

1,155 posts, read 963,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarisaMay View Post
I won't need a visa to move to the UK. Along with all other Irish citizens, I have the right to move there tomorrow if I wish. The Common Travel Area (UK & the ROI) will not be affected by Brexit. afaik, Irish citizens will be the only EU citizens with the right to move freely and reside in either country after Brexit.

Quote:
Under the Common Travel Area (CTA), Irish and British citizens move freely and reside in either jurisdiction and enjoy associated rights and entitlements including access to employment, healthcare, education, social benefits, and the right to vote in certain elections. The Common Travel Area pre-dates Irish and UK membership of the EU and is not dependent on it. The Government of Ireland and the UK Government have signed a Memorandum of Understanding*, reaffirming their commitment to maintaining the CTA in all circumstances. On the date of the signing [May 2019], both Governments also issued a Joint Statement.
https://www.dfa.ie/brexit/getting-ir...n-travel-area/

My parents did not leave me much, but they did bequeath citizenship that includes the right to live in the UK, the EU, or Canada if I wish. My right to live in the USA is my own, by birth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement