Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 08:51 PM

346 posts, read 237,846 times

Advertisements

Okay, I know I have posted some things many here didn't like, but I have a genuine concern.

Due to several disabilities I am on SSI and apart from what I'll get when my dad passes away from his life insurance (he has talked to me about this) and am very unlikely to ever have a job. So my question is once I reach retirement age having never had a job and subsisting on disability and what my dad leaves me, what do you think is likely to be the outcome? Any kind of resources on such? I know it's a long ways away but curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 09:18 PM

1,142 posts, read 579,213 times
I believe your Dad needs to create a special needs trust right now. Otherwise if you accept the money, you may go over your asset or income limit and get kicked off SSI.

There are now what's called ABLE accounts but offhand, don't know much about them except the money put in the account must be used for specific purposes.

Old 11-05-2019, 12:15 AM

15,252 posts, read 12,967,886 times
I would guess the ultimate outcome, perhaps before 65, would be you'd end up in a group home.

That assumes you are still pushing the same narrative you were a few days ago, of being disabled and needing help to dress.

Old 11-05-2019, 01:37 AM

9,455 posts, read 12,549,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraR. View Post
I believe your Dad needs to create a special needs trust right now. Otherwise if you accept the money, you may go over your asset or income limit and get kicked off SSI.

This. You’ll be over the resource limit for SSI. No SSI for you until you spend down the funds. Plan to spend the money wisely. Buy a car. Prepay rent for a year or so. New TV? Or bed, fridge. Get the idea? Or just spare the taxpayers $$$ for a while while you live on daddy's money.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:21 AM

7,356 posts, read 4,138,516 times
I am sorry to hear this

Please get a lawyer who specializes in special needs trusts.

Old 11-05-2019, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
This. You’ll be over the resource limit for SSI. No SSI for you until you spend down the funds. Plan to spend the money wisely. Buy a car. Prepay rent for a year or so. New TV? Or bed, fridge. Get the idea? Or just spare the taxpayers $$$ for a while while you live on daddy's money.
I don't know if this is a good idea or not. Dad needs to consult an attorney before giving his inheritance.

Not sure how easy it is to get back on SSI. If he's residing in a low income apartment, then it could be a really tangled web to weave.

There is a such thing as IHSS. This guy is smart, he writes very well. When he needs help dressing, someone can come in for a few hours and assist.

Old 11-05-2019, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I am sorry to hear this

Please get a lawyer who specializes in special needs trusts.
Absolutely. Tell Dad to do this otherwise one wrong mistake, and a lifetime of problems. Maybe even homelessness.

Old 11-05-2019, 09:33 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraR. View Post

There are now what's called ABLE accounts but offhand, don't know much about them except the money put in the account must be used for specific purposes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I agree that it is very tricky. Your father needs to see an attorney that specializes in special needs trust and/or an elder care attorney. IMHO, a lot may depend on how much you will inherit. If it is $10,000 or $20,000 getting kicked off of disability and then trying to get back on may be very difficult. If you will inherit a million dollars than maybe it will be better for you to go off disability and just live off of that money (but you may not be able to get health insurance).

Please see an attorney.

Old 11-05-2019, 09:42 AM

19,441 posts, read 27,844,220 times
I have a brother in the EXACT same circumstances. I CANNOT emphasize the importance for a special needs trust!!!!!

Blessedly, Our father had significant funds for a special needs trust to protect the money and take care of my brother. I am the trustee, and he pays his own taxes on the distributions he receives. The trust pays any other taxes that may be required as well as CPA and any legal expenses. I do not take a fee for being trustee.

BTW His SSD turned to regular social security when he hit 65.

Old 11-05-2019, 09:47 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,785,266 times
Unless they change the affordable health care act, you will be able to be on Medicaid, even with a lot assets, because qualifying for Medicaid is based solely on INCOME, not assets. So a person who owns their own home, and car, and has a large amount of money, but collects little income off of it, can still qualify for Medicaid in states that took the Medicaid expansion. Let's say you have half a million dollars, in an account paying 2% interest. Your income would be 10K/yr. In many states, you would qualify for Medicaid with that. You could live off the interest, and draw down a little from the principal as needed, to live on, and you'd still qualify for Medicaid. If you've already been provided with a modest home with low property taxes/maintenance, and a means of transportation, you'd be okay.

However, I suspect that assets WILL again become part of qualifying for Medicaid, just as they have become again part of qualifying for food stamps. It's absurd for taxpayers to be paying for Medicaid for the wealthy, just because said wealthy are "low-income", with high assets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement