Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2019, 09:51 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,738,307 times

Advertisements

It's true that JFK was not a boomer, but what I meant in my prior post is that the idea of mass air pollution, water pollution, landfills, etc. started to gain notice during the Boomer years. Of course, we know a lot more now, but things had to start somewhere. Don't be a litter bug was one early campaign. The problems were identified and promoted in schools, TV ads, etc during the boomer years. This led to developing sources of energy and technology that are less harmful to air and water qualities. Water quality is improving.

I don't have the percentages of how many boomers don't believe in climate change, how many do, and how many are doing something about it. I do know from personal experience that many of the scientists that have identified the problems associated with climate change and are working on solutions for it are of the boomer generation. I also know that there are people like the Koch brothers and other industrialist types oppose any policies that will cut into their profits. Then there are the uneducated who just listen to opinion pieces without having any type of science background and claim it's all a hoax. I don't know how many of these people are boomers or belong to a different generation.

For what it's worth, from my personal experience, I don't find the Millenial generation a bunch of "snowflakes" either. I have only seen hard working young people who are exceptional at multi-tasking. I usually volunteer with these people and while many seem naively idealistic, they are idealistic like the boomers were. They do have to deal with the large college debt, but let's face it. That's not exclusively a Millenial problem. The middle-class parents are often helping to pay those large tuition costs and loans and many middle-class parents put away money to help with their childrens' college costs. In some instances, the savings wasn't enough but the point is that prepared parents could have used that money for something else besides college. High college costs are not just a problem for Millenials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 10:01 PM

24,140 posts, read 32,557,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Actually, you're correct, I shouldn't have said "half", we are technically the majority of the "baby boom".

You should Google Generation Jones. It's very interesting. And I believe there needs to be that generational distinction.
I agree plus 1.

Old 11-09-2019, 10:37 PM

10,584 posts, read 7,812,749 times
I would say, “Yeah, I’m about his age and height but I am not Boomer Esiason.
He has a much better throwing arm than mine.”

Old 11-10-2019, 04:35 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,446,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I was blissfully unaware of this whatever it was till I googled it at the suggestion of the OP.

And now that I've read it, I still don't care.

I feel the same, although I do remember I used to want to stick it to The Man...

Old 11-10-2019, 05:56 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,534,044 times
1. It's silly to get upset over a temporary, internet meme.
2. The idea that young people have gripes with older people...hmmm...has this ever happened before...hmmm...uhhh, remember the 60s? Not so funny when the shoe is on the other foot, is it?

Old 11-10-2019, 08:01 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,099,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
2. The idea that young people have gripes with older people...hmmm...has this ever happened before...hmmm...uhhh, remember the 60s? Not so funny when the shoe is on the other foot, is it?
And that shoe keeps getting passed down. Millennials will be wearing it one day too - and sooner than they think.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:25 AM

6,312 posts, read 4,216,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
YOu don't have to be upset to recognize ageism or the denigration of a whole population, or that it's a classist comment. I remember the 60's and I thought the "don't trust anyone over 30" just as arrogant.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:26 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,534,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
And that shoe keeps getting passed down. Millennials will be wearing it one day too - and sooner than they think.
Of course. Every generation will wear it.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:41 AM

25,617 posts, read 17,360,287 times
Quote:
Are you OK with "OK Boomer"?
Sure.
It's an attempt an intimidation, and a pretty poor one at that. Jeez, even Tommy Smothers had a better rejoinder than that.
(Well,..... Well,.......Oh, YEAH!!??)

Old 11-10-2019, 09:30 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,793,463 times
How about OK Millennial, whatever OK means(putting on my Prince Charles’ accent here).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement