Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2019, 06:20 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
But be careful - it's at this very same age that women are supposed to stop using makeup! ...according to some.

LOL I don't pay attention to any of that - I do what I believe looks best on me!

Never been big into makeup but I do believe in a good lipstick!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2019, 06:22 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Your hair looks beautiful and soft in every picture. And every color looks natural and soft. Kudos to your hairdresser! You also have beautiful eyes.
Thank you!

Actually though my hair is not soft and it never has been (it's not any more coarse now gray though - if anything, it's softer, but still not soft if that makes sense). My husband calls it my pelt. I swear it's water resistant! And I am not kidding!

Old 11-24-2019, 07:32 PM

138 posts, read 154,124 times
Default Went Gray and Never Looked Back

First off, everyone needs to do what they want to do and what makes them feel good. No one should feel pressured to go gray or to color, either one. However, I did notice that men, generally, do not feel pressured to cover up their grays. That seemed like such a liberating idea to me, that I began to entertain the idea in my mid 50's.

I made the personal decision to quit coloring my hair four years ago when I turned 60. I was just plain tired of the time, expense, smell, etc., as well as the fact that my scalp was becoming increasingly sensitive to the chemicals (whether it was organic coloring or not). I began to feel enslaved to the process, as it was getting to the point I had to go every four weeks instead of six because the color wasn't holding as well anymore. And even at four weeks the gray roots were beginning to show.

It was a bit rough looking while growing it out. but I didn't want to use any more chemicals on my scalp to blend the gray in. I just toughed it out. A headband or twisted scarf or bandana helped a bit to soften the line of gray growing in. Sometimes I would get a look, and then the question, "What are you doing with your hair?" A simple direct answer seems to put any further questions to rest: "I've decided I don't want to cover up my gray hair anymore."

Once it all grew in, I started receiving many positive comments. I would be stopped in the store by a complete stranger who felt that had to tell me how much they loved my gray. Most said they wished they were brave enough to do it themselves, but for one reason or another, didn't feel they were ready.

Another factor in my decision to stop coloring was that my mother had decided to quit coloring her hair at age 80, and I couldn't see myself continuing on that long. She looked fabulous and everyone raved about how great she looked.

Let's face it, we aren't fooling anyone about our age by continuing to dye our hair past a certain age. In fact, sometimes it can look so unnatural that it detracts from one's appearance. On the other hand, I have seen some in their 60's and 70's that look wonderful with dyed hair, so it's has to be an individual decision.

For me, personally, it was the best decision I ever made. My hair and scalp health have improved dramatically since I stopped coloring. I have never regretted doing it. I am not trying to look younger than my age. I hope that I look the age I'm supposed to be, but really rocking it. Because I'm fair and gray hair can wash me out, I've learned to do my makeup differently: darker brows and a dark red lip can help. So can the color of clothing I wear near my face. Bright jewel tones, gray, and black really make the gray hair pop.

Just my two cents worth, and if you're sitting on the fence about it, I hope to inspire you to give it a go. There isn't a better time to try it. It's becoming more acceptable these days. I have seen more and more younger women deciding to give up coloring, and some are even dyeing their hair gray in their 20's!

Old 11-24-2019, 07:32 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
58. Working with my stylist to make it look like I'm letting it go gray without just letting it go.

I like to maintain professional standards for work.

Old 11-24-2019, 07:49 PM

5,199 posts, read 6,142,795 times
I think seeing women coloring their hair throughout their lives conditions you (meaning us men) to seeing this as a normal part of most women's lives.

What I am not used to seeing everyday is a colleague or close friend (males) all of a sudden show up with their hair colored especially if they were quite gray. It's like wow!

It makes no matter to me, to each their own it just usually catches me off guard in a surprised way!

I do wonder about the increasing number of women I see in their fortys and fiftys who are coloring their hair pink and green. What brought about this trend?

Old 11-24-2019, 08:21 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
LOL I don't pay attention to any of that - I do what I believe looks best on me!

My mom lived to 92 and always wore lipstick!

Old 11-24-2019, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I think seeing women coloring their hair throughout their lives conditions you (meaning us men) to seeing this as a normal part of most women's lives.

What I am not used to seeing everyday is a colleague or close friend (males) all of a sudden show up with their hair colored especially if they were quite gray. It's like wow!

It makes no matter to me, to each their own it just usually catches me off guard in a surprised way!

I do wonder about the increasing number of women I see in their fortys and fiftys who are coloring their hair pink and green. What brought about this trend?
like Rudy Guilianni. Not sure if i spelled his name correctly

Gray one day, dark brown the next.

Old 11-24-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
58. Working with my stylist to make it look like I'm letting it go gray without just letting it go.

I like to maintain professional standards for work.
They should be able to help you

It took me about a year to do it.

My favorite hairdresser just kept going lighter - blending in the grey.

Old 11-24-2019, 09:00 PM

350 posts, read 229,744 times
I'm 65 and highlight my hair 2x a year. My stylist also puts in a color blend in then too but that's the only time. I don't have gray and when my highlights start to grow out it's just dark brown.

Old 11-24-2019, 09:40 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,531,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Since my hair is totally white & my skin very pale, I use Clinique black honey lip gloss & a few pats of stick/cream blush daily to keep me from looking like the living dead. Luckily my lashes, & brows are dark (brows with the help of a monthly dye) and full enough that I can get by without eye makeup.

Other than the lip gloss & blush, I only use makeup for special occasions. It's liberating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement