Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2019, 07:21 PM

2,009 posts, read 1,219,134 times

Advertisements

Guys...I totally get it...just learning and doing research...but yes, something definitely doesnt feel right about it...but I and more my mother is concerned about my brother....just thinking out loud at this point

Old 12-10-2019, 07:24 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,418,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FREE866 View Post
If I told you she wants to be able to leave money for my destitute brother due to his mental illness would that make you rethink your position?
Well, you'd better be careful on THAT end as well. If he gets ssi or ssdi there may be a "spend down" on any gifts he gets may apply toward the benefits he's getting. My sister is developmentally delayed and an aunt left her an inheritance of $40,000 (nothing for me, since I was "okay"). All that money immediately went to the government to pay back her nursing home costs - she saw not one dime of it. If my aunt had instead put it into a trust my sister could have had that money for other necessary items not covered.

Old 12-10-2019, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Well she wouldn’t be in a crap nursing home unless you put her in one . .
Have you and your mother researched nursing homes and weighed the costs/ insurance vs in home care?

As of today shes totally fine....far far from needing a nursing home, but we all know things can change...and sometimes rapidly....but yeah--home care would be great as opposed to nursing home...

Old 12-10-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Well, you'd better be careful on THAT end as well. If he gets ssi or ssdi there may be a "spend down" on any gifts he gets may apply toward the benefits he's getting. My sister is developmentally delayed and an aunt left her an inheritance of $40,000 (nothing for me, since I was "okay"). All that money immediately went to the government to pay back her nursing home costs - she saw not one dime of it. If my aunt had instead put it into a trust my sister could have had that money for other necessary items not covered.

ugh..thats awful...sorry to hear...he doesnt get ssi....too much to write on hear but hes just a little off and doesnt have $$$, cant make $$$, etc......its just a sad situation....

Old 12-10-2019, 07:28 PM

6,312 posts, read 4,216,254 times
Quote:
Guys...I totally get it...just learning and doing research...but yes, something definitely doesnt feel right about it...but I and more my mother is concerned about my brother....just thinking out loud at this point
How would those assets help your brother? I’m trying to understand why it would help when it isn’t helping now? Who oversees your brothers welfare now and then? Why can she not put money into a trust for your brother now?

Say she did move all her assets to her kids and qualified for medicaid, are you telling me you’d enjoy her money while she has less than the best nursing home and medical care that her money could have paid for?

Old 12-10-2019, 07:33 PM

10,053 posts, read 18,113,604 times
Quote:
You obviously didn't read any of my responses to all these quotes
Yes, I did read your answers. For example, you said you wanted to "be strategic" so that you could keep her assets and the nursing home (that she would be USING!) wouldn't get them. Again, who do you think is paying for your mother's care, in that case, while you enjoy your "early" inheritance?

And your answer to the other post I quoted was to bring in your brother -- who your mother could take care of in other ways, as other posters have pointed out. So no, you have never answered why taxpayers should have to pay when your mother has her own assets that she could use for her own care.

Quote:
But I'm sure you feel better now telling me what I "should" be doing
If you and your lovely family do this, I hope you get caught. Your defensiveness and attempts at justification make it pretty clear that you know what you want to do is unethical. (And frankly, I think you just want there to be money left over for you to inherit. To hell with the taxpayers and whom Medicaid is SUPPOSED to be for.)

=========

ETA: gee, just saw a post where you said something "doesn't feel right about it." Really???? What do you think we've been saying??? (I know I sound harsh. I am not nice when it comes to this issue.)

Old 12-10-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
How would those assets help your brother? I’m trying to understand why it would help when it isn’t helping now? Who oversees your brothers welfare now and then? Why can she not put money into a trust for your brother now?

Say she did move all her assets to her kids and qualified for medicaid, are you telling me you’d enjoy her money while she has less than the best nursing home and medical care that her money could have paid for?

if my brother has close to little money and he inherits money thats a good thing no?

She does give him money now and it helps....not sure where you're going with that one

thats a fair point about "less than the best nursing home"
im ignorant in this area and i guess i dont fully understand how some nursing homes are better than others....every one ive been in sucked....thats my assumption...maybe im wrong....

Old 12-10-2019, 07:44 PM

3,105 posts, read 2,237,345 times
Quote:
[mod cut - deleted post]
Really? She is simply shedding light on your attempt to obfuscate the unethical path you are planning to take. And, no - your brother's story doesn't have any effect on it. What you are suggesting is simply shielding her assets so that public assets are used to pay for her care. If your brother is in need for public support - let him acquire it on merits of his case. I second karen_in_nh_2012's direct post and characterization of your intent.

Last edited by VTsnowbird; 12-11-2019 at 04:57 AM..

Old 12-10-2019, 07:50 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,203,782 times
Quote:

(snip)

thats a fair point about "less than the best nursing home"
im ignorant in this area and i guess i dont fully understand how some nursing homes are better than others....every one ive been in sucked....thats my assumption...maybe im wrong....
Most of the nursing homes in my area are in the $4,000 to $6,000 a month range, but a few are "luxury" nursing homes that charge a lot more ($10,000 to $12,000 a month). The more expensive ones have a lot more amenities (larger rooms, better food, more activities, more staff, etc..

Plus there are facilities that you "buy into" with a $200,000 to $300,000 (maybe more) initial payment and then monthly fees (which are usually lower -like $2,000 a month).

I knew a woman who was in an assisted living facility that was more like a five star hotel/cruise, with great food, shows, activities, games, etc. etc. and it really wasn't that expensive

Please visit the facilities in your area so that everyone is better prepared in case of an emergency.

Old 12-10-2019, 07:58 PM

1,505 posts, read 1,813,034 times
Discuss your concerns with an attorney who specializes in elder assets before transferring any of your mom's money/property.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement