Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 01:39 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,328,392 times

Advertisements

A bit of background first: I'm a 70-year-old male, in good health overall, but have lived with a spinal curvature (idiopathic scoliosis) which was diagnosed and corrected by spinal fusion (5 lumbar and 1 thoracic vertebrae, 7-hour surgery) at age 10; had somewhat more than my share of fender-benders in adolescence. but things eventually stabilized and I enjoyed a long period of accident-free driving.

But in my late sixties, I began losing ground; noticed some weaknesses on what turned out to be my last long trip, and had two more minor accidents and one traffic citation. At present, although I retain a driver's license, I haven't driven in two years, three months. A consultation with an orthopedic surgeon revealed stenosis and some additional curvature, Corrective measures are still under investigation.

I rely on senior paratransit, which is reliable and reasonably priced, but offers few options outside absolute necessity. I share my home with two people some years my junior, who can be counted upon in emergencies, but have responsibilities and careers of their own.

So I'm entertaining the possibility of finding a small vehicle (Mini-Cooper, VW, etc.) and resuming daylight-only driving here in town. I know better than to attempt more, but my most-likely destinations (groceries, YMCA, and library) are separated by a 300-yard bridge and would require use of a state highway. Comments and suggestions from "the audience" are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2020, 03:58 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
A bit of background first: I'm a 70-year-old male, in good health overall, but have lived with a spinal curvature (idiopathic scoliosis) which was diagnosed and corrected by spinal fusion (5 lumbar and 1 thoracic vertebrae, 7-hour surgery) at age 10; had somewhat more than my share of fender-benders in adolescence. but things eventually stabilized and I enjoyed a long period of accident-free driving.

But in my late sixties, I began losing ground; noticed some weaknesses on what turned out to be my last long trip, and had two more minor accidents and one traffic citation. At present, although I retain a driver's license, I haven't driven in two years, three months. A consultation with an orthopedic surgeon revealed stenosis and some additional curvature, Corrective measures are still under investigation.

I rely on senior paratransit, which is reliable and reasonably priced, but offers few options outside absolute necessity. I share my home with two people some years my junior, who can be counted upon in emergencies, but have responsibilities and careers of their own.

So I'm entertaining the possibility of finding a small vehicle (Mini-Cooper, VW, etc.) and resuming daylight-only driving here in town. I know better than to attempt more, but my most-likely destinations (groceries, YMCA, and library) are separated by a 300-yard bridge and would require use of a state highway. Comments and suggestions from "the audience" are welcome.
I would ask for referrals for a specialized driving training program/instructor who helps folks with mobility concerns and pick his/her brain about how to compensate for your limitations. What are they and how do they impact driving? Being less able to turn to see oncoming traffic or obstacles? Physically maneuvering the car itself? Need more adjustments to seat angles? Seeing over the dashboard and hood? Maybe other aspects you can't predict, but someone who knows more about it could. Also, they could probably help you outfit any car in order to make it safer and easier to handle. You could practice compensation techniques with them before approaching the DMV for a driving test. I understand wanting to drive, but other drivers shouldn't be put at risk because you can't do so safely.

DON'T do what my elderly Dad did. He developed shoulder and neck problems (so he wasn't turning his head to check for traffic and had problems controlling turns) on top of poor vision and profound deafness. He had a few fender benders and was required to enroll in a driving refresher course. The instructor was great (IMHO) and taught him techniques to help him compensate and stay more aware/defensive in general. He paid attention for a while, but then blew it off. Shortly after that he was stopped by police after a hair raising out of control maneuver across 4 lanes of traffic. Another driver reported him. His license was confiscated, car was towed, and he was sent home in a cab instead of jailed. Giving the officer a lot of his lip didn't help matters. No more driving for him and it was entirely his fault.

A small car isn't necessarily easier to handle. Off the top of my head cars like a Cooper or VW are low to the ground. Also, restricted door openings, compact cabins, maybe less adjustable steering wheel, foot pedals, small seats, plus touchy controls. They might be a lot more difficult to get in and out of.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-15-2020 at 04:23 PM..

Old 02-15-2020, 04:01 PM

17,708 posts, read 29,804,344 times
Uber.
You can buy a lot of Uber rides for the cost of owning a car.
Do the math.

Old 02-15-2020, 04:12 PM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I would ask for referrals for a specialized driving training program/instructor who helps folks with mobility concerns and pick his/her brain about how to compensate for your limitations. What are they and how do they impact driving? Being less able to turn to see oncoming traffic or obstacles? Physically maneuvering the car itself? Need more adjustments to seat angles? Seeing over the dashboard and hood? Maybe other aspects you can't predict, but someone who knows more about it could. Also, they could probably help you outfit any car in order to make it safer and easier to handle. You could practice compensation techniques with them before approaching the DMV for the driving test.

Off the top of my head cars like a Cooper or VW are low to the ground. Also, small with restricted door openings, compact cabins, maybe less adjustable steering wheel, foot pedals, and small seats. They might be a lot more difficult to get in and out of.
This is good advice. But since he still has his drivers license, why would he have to take a driving test to legally resume driving?

Old 02-15-2020, 04:22 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Try several vehicles, consider a minivan equipped for mobility (for future if necessary). My mom got a used one very low mileage, quite inexpensive ($6k). Has ramp / auto doors, and swing away seat with hand controls.

Compared to my mini cars (VW)... Minivans are cheap to buy, insure, fix. Great visibility and safety, ez to get in and out of, great resale, excellent utility (multi function, including road trips and camping and remodeling, and can tow 3500#). My VWs cost about 30% more to insure.

Old 02-15-2020, 04:25 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
This is good advice. But since he still has his drivers license, why would he have to take a driving test to legally resume driving?
Maybe he doesn't, but that doesn't mean he's safe to drive!! That test can expose a lot of surprises! Preparing to pass it is probably more important anyway.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-15-2020 at 04:38 PM..

Old 02-15-2020, 04:44 PM

33,224 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Maybe he doesn't, but that doesn't mean he's safe to drive!! That test can expose a lot of surprises! Preparing to pass it is probably more important anyway.
Well, that's true.

Old 02-15-2020, 08:14 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,949,516 times
Everyone here is guessing about why the OP had accidents. We don't know if it is a night vision problem, sitting too low to see over the wheel, inability to turn his head, medication that affects how alert he is, or some unspecified "weakness" the OP experienced. I would want to know more about what the problem is that caused him to have accidents before giving advice or suggestions.

That said, I would not recommend a small car. Get one with a 5-star safety rating, with an adjustable seat, and good visibility of your surroundings.

The best suggestion so far is Uber.

Old 02-15-2020, 09:00 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,752,657 times
I’m thinking of a Tesla with auto pilot mode. In fact, I’m getting one next year for my husband. My neighbor said it parks itself in the garage. I figure as I’m getting older this probably is the best way, it will drive me to places when I’m tired and old.

Old 02-15-2020, 10:28 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,012,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I’m thinking of a Tesla with auto pilot mode. In fact, I’m getting one next year for my husband. My neighbor said it parks itself in the garage. I figure as I’m getting older this probably is the best way, it will drive me to places when I’m tired and old.
We got our first Tesla 'fetch' example at a host in Germany in 2016. 300; yr old Garages are too narrow to open the car door, so we and the driver just waited by the street, He called his Tesla on his cell phone. It opened the garage door, manuvered very tight around his wife's Benz, and met us at the street (avoiding oncoming traffic,) then opened the doors for us... Then we tried the auto-drive on Autobahn. We could select speed and agressiveness (lane changing for passing.) Worked great! It Was a nice ride and demo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement