Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 10:06 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,050,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
It's been studied and demonstrated that people who spend their money on experiences - like a nice trip - are happier than people who spend the same money on "things" - like a top-of-the-line appliance. I don't imagine it's the experience/thing that makes the difference, but the mindset of the people who choose to experience, say, the history of Rome and the art of Florence as opposed to people who allocate that money to getting a $5000 refrigerator instead.

(Of course, if you can afford BOTH, better yet....but if it's one or the other, the people choosing the experience are happier than the people choosing the item.)
I respectfully disagree with that generalization (and with most generalizations, but that one definitely.)

Speaking for myself, I spent about 20 years at an income level where I could afford both without causing financial hardship, sandwiched between two 20-year stretches during which it was definitely an "either/or" situation. Although the experiences were nice (for the most part) I always had the nagging feeling in the back of my mind that "for this X amount of dollars, I could have bought Y instead", and Y was always something tangible -- like a piece of fine jewelry, or a better car, or a fur coat, or an especially high-priced example of something that I was collecting. I will always prefer to spend money on something that I can hold in my hand/keep in my possession. Because when the experience/trip/whatever is over, well, it's over. It no longer exists. It's done, ended, finis, *poof* gone.

I'm not saying that experiences are worthless, only that they are worth less to me than tangible things that I can keep and use and/or look at every day. I prefer things that are real. Memories (the ones that we retain, anyhow; I doubt that I remember more than a small fraction of what I saw during all of those trips to wherever) don't make my daily life easier or more pleasant today. On the other hand, I smile and feel happy every time I look at or use something that I am glad that I bought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2020, 10:19 AM

8,342 posts, read 6,433,296 times
I think I will probably die with a bunch of unspent money. Very thrifty all my life and can't change. I like to eat and only recently started going to restaurants. My friend had money and died, he drove a beat up old truck.

Old 02-15-2020, 10:23 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I think it takes awhile to learn how to spend after a lifetime of saving and budgeting. I have to constantly remind my self (when thinking of buying something that costs more than I think it should) that I have the money.

Regarding what Frank said about buying stuff... we can take a lesson from the younger generation who spend their money on experiences rather than stuff.
I do get a bit tired of all the talk about "spending on experiences". Many times it comes down to semantics.

Sure, I'll spend money to travel - and I enjoy the travel that much more when I have a real camera and not just the one on my phone - it allows me to enjoy the trip afterwards as I'm editing and sharing those pics. I also enjoy travel more if I have an actual hotel room (not necessarily luxurious) rather than staying in a hostel.

I really enjoy driving my "sporty car" - STILL, after buying it brand-spanking new in 2005! Yes, I do buy some THINGS and miraculously enjoy the experiences they bring me. Shoot, I'm not much into jewelry but what if I find a pretty, artsy ring I really like - does that not become a joyful experience every time I catch a glimpse of it on my finger? SEMANTICS...used to make some people feel better than others.

One more - I upgraded my 20-year old toilets....I won't go into all the ways they are different, and no they aren't the $1,000+ models...but after more than a year I still think to myself at least weekly how much I like them! TOILETS, no less! So was that something that was an absolutely great buy?...yes it was!

Old 02-15-2020, 10:24 AM

14,251 posts, read 14,745,966 times
I am 77 and if I continue to spend at my present rate (and investments do not increase), I have until I am 107 before I am out of money so I am looking to increase my spending rate but there is nothing I need and little I want. Nice problem to have.....LOL

Old 02-15-2020, 10:29 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I do get a bit tired of all the talk about "spending on experiences". Many times it comes down to semantics.

Sure, I'll spend money to travel - and I enjoy the travel that much more when I have a real camera and not just the one on my phone - it allows me to enjoy the trip afterwards as I'm editing and sharing those pics. I also enjoy travel more if I have an actual hotel room (not necessarily luxurious) rather than staying in a hostel.

I really enjoy driving my "sporty car" - STILL, after buying it brand-spanking new in 2005! Yes, I do buy some THINGS and miraculously enjoy the experiences they bring me. Shoot, I'm not much into jewelry but what if I find a pretty, artsy ring I really like - does that not become a joyful experience every time I catch a glimpse of it on my finger? SEMANTICS...used to make some people feel better than others.

One more - I upgraded my 20-year old toilets....I won't go into all the ways they are different, and no they aren't the $1,000+ models...but after more than a year I still think to myself at least weekly how much I like them! TOILETS, no less! So was that something that was an absolutely great buy?...yes it was!
I can afford a camera, but won’t be caught dead with them on my travel. Too clunky. I like to travel light.

Old 02-15-2020, 12:01 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,377,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I can afford a camera, but won’t be caught dead with them on my travel. Too clunky. I like to travel light.
And THAT'S what you got from my post?

Skip the carry on then and wash what you wear each night - THAT'S the definition of travelling light.

My camera is 4" x 2.5" x 1" and about half a pound. You do YOU.

Old 02-15-2020, 12:18 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
Quote:
And THAT'S what you got from my post?

Skip the carry on then and wash what you wear each night - THAT'S the definition of travelling light.

My camera is 4" x 2.5" x 1" and about half a pound. You do YOU.
What got you triggered? I enjoy taking pictures with my iPhone. But I’m not a complainer about not enjoying my travel if I don’t have a real camera.
What I got out of your post or posts is that you always complain about something, isn’t that true.

Old 02-15-2020, 12:33 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,050,518 times
Quote:

I know someone who uses a system I never thought of: She has a stash of "disposable" (meaning she doesn't wear them regularly anymore, either because they are no longer in style or starting to show some wear) clothes and underwear that she puts aside just for vacations and that's what she packs her carry-on suitcase with. [She never checks any bags.] The length of her stay determines the point at which she literally throws the items in the trash or leaves them behind for the chambermaid to take or whatever, after she checks out. By the last day of her vacation her carry-on case is empty of clothing except for the original outfit that she left home in, and so there is room for whatever items (or new clothes) that she happened to buy during her trip.

Old 02-15-2020, 01:18 PM

408 posts, read 259,894 times
Quote:

OMG, I thought i was the only one that appreciated a good throne.

Mrs. Deoge and I are going on a cruise and we got an interior cabin to save money because we are only going to be in it to sleep. Flying first class does not make me happy. I have a $60,000 Tesla on order because that is where I want to spend my money. I drive my cars until they need to be towed out of the driveway because that makes me feel good. So spend money on what is important to you. Not depriving myself but leaving my girls a "meaningful" inheritance puts a smile on my face.

Old 02-15-2020, 01:48 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,420,847 times
OP here. An example of my spending conflict. I am visiting friends on Florida’s west coast. Had lunch in Naples and looked at golf shirts. Saw two really nice ones $90 each. Headed to the flea market tomorrow where I will spend $20 each. Lesser quality and sizing may be off but I’ll buy them. With out a doubt I can afford the $90 shirts but I just can’t bring myself to spend that kind of money on a shirt that will end up with a mustard stain from a $1.50 hot dog.

By the way no doubts that when I pass my kids will come to my funeral luncheon in $90 shirts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement