Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 08:18 AM

51,541 posts, read 37,254,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Exactly, I'm not retired yet and if I was, I'd be hunkering down, grocery shopping at 2AM, spending time outdoors to combat cabin fever, and generally avoiding large groups of people. But where I work is a giant building that is going to end up being a germ farm someday, I don't know what's gonna happen when someone in it comes down with the virus. Maybe they'll close for a couple weeks.
I don’t think there’s any place where you can still grocery shop at 2 AM. Walmart and other big chains that used to be 24 hours are now closing at 11 PM to restock and sanitize the stores. Several stores though are now opening an hour early a couple of days a week for those over 60 and the disabled to shop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 05:11 AM

6,796 posts, read 5,553,000 times
Gee, I had no problems whatsoever.

On Tuesday I went to see my primary care physician, routine follow up appointment, and meds getting appt. I asked about the covid-19 Corona virus test, he said he actually has to jump through hoops to get one, has to file a responsible request, and it takes a week (!!) For him to get it!! ( I don't get that... several areas are just doing drive bys to any old person who wants one!!??!!???).
Anyway he gave me clean bill of health, and filled my script s.

Monday I went to the orthopedic surgeon office, got a knee injection in the office, and scheduled hip injections in the hospital for Wednesday.

Wednesday at the hospital WAS a hassle!! Parked second floor of the garage, and walked the 5 steps up to the hospital door. Locked! Went back down to elevator,cwhen the walkthrough elevator door opened, there was big barricade against the hospital side door, with big sing saying to go back down to ground level and into the main entrance. PITA from there. But did as instructed.

At the main entrance, big barricade s directed you to information desk ONLY.

Ok, so there I was grilled nastily about why I was there ( I pointed up and said radiology ( a floroscope is used to find the joint into which to do the injections), she asked where,? ( Uh, duh it's right over the front info desk) then she wanted ID, and said"only the patient can go in, ( and to my OH said " you cannot go"!). I told my OH that 'youll have to go wait in the van'. Then I had to get an admission sticker to affix to my shirt so anyone can see I've been checked in, all BEFORE I was allowed to go to my appointment.
What I thought was odd, was NO ONE in check in, nor radiology were wearing masks of any type! ( Maybe reserved for the Drs and nurses in the patient rooms? Then we had to reverse the process going out.

Tuesday afternoon I called mental health to see if they were still open, the secretary said yes, but they were giving the option of therapy by phone instead of in person. I said YES! We'll take it, have my therapist call me for our therapy. ( Saves gas, next county over and 1/4 of a tank of gas to get there and back. Right now with 2 of 4 income sources indefinitely suspended, we are in conservation mode on gas). Point is, though, that we still could have gone in for therapy.

So, as of this week here in NY, there was no prob with in person appointments.

Not to say next week won't be different!

Today, as soon as my OH gets out of work, we are going to try to go to get my hair cut and OH s done, as ALL hair places are ordered shut down indefinitely as of 8 pm tonight. As a teen in the 70s, I'd have killed for long flowing hair, but mine was to thin and never grew beyond my neck line. Now, of course as an older person, I can't stand it longer than about 2"!! It is about that, so due, but can't stand the idea it may grow wildly unchecked all summer. That's assuming we can get into cost cutters and actually afford the rates, we usually go on Wednesday for the $12 special. ( Used to be$10) I think it will be $20 for me today...as much or more for my OH, and I won't have enough cash on hand. Will NOT use credit cards at this time, because with loss if income, what's on them may have to go into forbearance. I usually use the envelope system anyway for most "expendable" or "consumable" expenditures. Hate putting anything on a credit card that will be used up with", nothing to show for it,".

We hopefully will healthfully survive this pandemic in tact.

As I hope all you on here do.

I wonder if we should set up a thread for those who have passed from the pandemic in renemberance?

Old 03-21-2020, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Gee, I had no problems whatsoever.

On Tuesday I went to see my primary care physician, routine follow up appointment, and meds getting appt. I asked about the covid-19 Corona virus test, he said he actually has to jump through hoops to get one, has to file a responsible request, and it takes a week (!!) For him to get it!! ( I don't get that... several areas are just doing drive bys to any old person who wants one!!??!!???).
Anyway he gave me clean bill of health, and filled my script s.

Monday I went to the orthopedic surgeon office, got a knee injection in the office, and scheduled hip injections in the hospital for Wednesday.

Wednesday at the hospital WAS a hassle!! Parked second floor of the garage, and walked the 5 steps up to the hospital door. Locked! Went back down to elevator,cwhen the walkthrough elevator door opened, there was big barricade against the hospital side door, with big sing saying to go back down to ground level and into the main entrance. PITA from there. But did as instructed.

At the main entrance, big barricade s directed you to information desk ONLY.

Ok, so there I was grilled nastily about why I was there ( I pointed up and said radiology ( a floroscope is used to find the joint into which to do the injections), she asked where,? ( Uh, duh it's right over the front info desk) then she wanted ID, and said"only the patient can go in, ( and to my OH said " you cannot go"!). I told my OH that 'youll have to go wait in the van'. Then I had to get an admission sticker to affix to my shirt so anyone can see I've been checked in, all BEFORE I was allowed to go to my appointment.
What I thought was odd, was NO ONE in check in, nor radiology were wearing masks of any type! ( Maybe reserved for the Drs and nurses in the patient rooms? Then we had to reverse the process going out.

Tuesday afternoon I called mental health to see if they were still open, the secretary said yes, but they were giving the option of therapy by phone instead of in person. I said YES! We'll take it, have my therapist call me for our therapy. ( Saves gas, next county over and 1/4 of a tank of gas to get there and back. Right now with 2 of 4 income sources indefinitely suspended, we are in conservation mode on gas). Point is, though, that we still could have gone in for therapy.

So, as of this week here in NY, there was no prob with in person appointments.

Not to say next week won't be different!

Today, as soon as my OH gets out of work, we are going to try to go to get my hair cut and OH s done, as ALL hair places are ordered shut down indefinitely as of 8 pm tonight. As a teen in the 70s, I'd have killed for long flowing hair, but mine was to thin and never grew beyond my neck line. Now, of course as an older person, I can't stand it longer than about 2"!! It is about that, so due, but can't stand the idea it may grow wildly unchecked all summer. That's assuming we can get into cost cutters and actually afford the rates, we usually go on Wednesday for the $12 special. ( Used to be$10) I think it will be $20 for me today...as much or more for my OH, and I won't have enough cash on hand. Will NOT use credit cards at this time, because with loss if income, what's on them may have to go into forbearance. I usually use the envelope system anyway for most "expendable" or "consumable" expenditures. Hate putting anything on a credit card that will be used up with", nothing to show for it,".

We hopefully will healthfully survive this pandemic in tact.

As I hope all you on here do.

I wonder if we should set up a thread for those who have passed from the pandemic in renemberance?

Maybe it depends on the area you were in. Here, I have gotten emails from my GYN’s office and my hormone doctors office both stating that they are not seeing people for non-emergencies. Thank God my vets office is still open, they sent an email stating that people can no longer go in, they will come out to the car and get your animal and then bring it back out to you when they’re done. Personally, I wouldn’t go near a hospital right now unless it was an absolute emergency!

Old 03-21-2020, 08:44 AM

89,127 posts, read 85,789,450 times
My friend was upset yesterday because her foot doctor called to see if she and her sister-in-law, who book their appointments together, were coming in for their appointments on Monday. She said she asked the woman, "You are really OPEN?" The woman said yes, for people who are feeling well who still want to come for their appointments. My friend seemed shocked about this, but it made sense to me, as long as the doctor's office is taking proper precautions, of course.

However, the friend is 79 and her SIL is 87, so they are both staying put at home, and she canceled their appointments.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:49 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,893,210 times
I read that some prescription insurance carriers are allowing early refills on prescriptions and will mail them, you might want to call your insurance directly to see if they can help.

Old 03-21-2020, 09:14 AM

42,827 posts, read 26,638,057 times
I have a dermatology appointment on Tuesday that took months to get, on Thursday they confirmed it by email then yesterday they called and told me no more in person visits and gave me the url for a website for instructions on setting up a video visit

Old 03-21-2020, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I have a dermatology appointment on Tuesday that took months to get, on Thursday they confirmed it by email then yesterday they called and told me no more in person visits and gave me the url for a website for instructions on setting up a video visit
Ugh. I am so grateful that I had my hormone pellet which I get every four months, in late February. It would not be pleasant for my fiancé to be quarantined with me if I hadn’t been able to get that done!

I’m worried about our vets office staying open. So far they are, with a stipulate that you cannot accompany your pet inside. But I can’t imagine what we would do if something happened to one of our babies and there was no place that we could take them.

Old 03-21-2020, 10:44 AM

3,989 posts, read 4,327,266 times
My dentist has shut down for all but emergencies 4 hours a day. My vet is only seeing pets if the owner stays in their car; the vet examines the pet and calls the owner. I did that this week. It was a strange experience, but I was grateful they are still seeing pets. The psych practice I work for is seeing patients via video.

I keep thinking, "This is not a good time to have a stroke or get cancer". It will be hard to get an appointment, hard to keep appointments and get treatment and hard to get a hospital bed if needed.

Old 03-21-2020, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriNJ View Post
My dentist has shut down for all but emergencies 4 hours a day. My vet is only seeing pets if the owner stays in their car; the vet examines the pet and calls the owner. I did that this week. It was a strange experience, but I was grateful they are still seeing pets. The psych practice I work for is seeing patients via video.

I keep thinking, "This is not a good time to have a stroke or get cancer". It will be hard to get an appointment, hard to keep appointments and get treatment and hard to get a hospital bed if needed.
Yes, don’t get in a car accident either because we have a severe shortage of blood due to the thousands and thousands of blood drives held at universities churches and other places which were all canceled.

Old 03-21-2020, 01:29 PM

20,548 posts, read 17,884,906 times
My only advice to people is, eat less. Your body actually will get healthier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement