Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 11:41 AM

4,545 posts, read 12,422,327 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

Every pension plan is different.
In my case, it was only a few dollars less a month to sign up for life time benefits for my husband if I died first. Basically, my entire pension would go to me, or to my husband, as long as one of us were alive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Yup yup yup.

OP, contact the personnel office... Yes, he will collect a reduced amount, but to us the insurance of having the income stream continue--reduced, but still there--was worth it.

Don't dawdle, do it this week.

A woman of my acquaintance was on her 2nd marriage as was he, and while updating his paperwork took the reduced pension, paid the fee, or did whatever was required for his pension to cover his wife should he predecease.

He died before he even retired. If not for his having done that, she would have been an impoverished widow. However, 25 years later she is doing ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2020, 12:03 PM

43,268 posts, read 18,408,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
My dh currently qualifies to start drawing his pension, but continues to work for various reasons.

What if he passes away while still currently employed? Would I qualify for any portion of his pension?

If he were retired and drawing a pension I would receive a partial benefit if he passed before me. However, it just occurred to me---what if he passes before me while still an employee? If he never drew his pension, would I be entitled to anything?
That is a question for HR regarding his pension, not for an anonymous internet forum.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:22 PM

10,116 posts, read 19,433,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
Silly me, I just assumed it was Texas.
Yes, we're in Texas.

Old 03-29-2020, 01:24 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,764 posts, read 58,200,174 times
definitely check directly with his employer / pension administrator.

Nearly all are uniquely administered.

Typically you elect
solo -
spousal extension - (on demise of primary pensioner)
and at what % (usually for a premium cost. i.e. reduction in pension.)

There are retirement advisers who will run you through the pension numbers based on your variables (date of expiry) and elected choices.

Be diligent.
Get the correct information from the source.

Old 03-29-2020, 01:50 PM

16,670 posts, read 8,667,991 times
Pensions are becoming a thing of the past, so in the not too distant future will be considered a quaint anachronism.

So one wonders what will happen with a working spouses 401k in the event of death or even divorce.

In death, presumably those retirement assets will be part of the marital distribution to the spouse, but I am not certain of that.

What is even more murky is what happens if a working spouse gets a divorce and then passes away. You would think that if the other spouse was a stay at home/non-working (i.e. talking care of the kids/home) they would be entitled to some of it.
Then again maybe that is negotiated in the divorce proceedings.

`

Old 03-29-2020, 02:54 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,684,214 times
Quote:
Yes, we're in Texas.
Nailed it! I have been vindicated! I'm going to go back to assuming everything is about Texas now, unless otherwise told.

Old 03-29-2020, 03:08 PM

43,268 posts, read 18,408,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Pensions are becoming a thing of the past, so in the not too distant future will be considered a quaint anachronism.

So one wonders what will happen with a working spouses 401k in the event of death or even divorce.

In death, presumably those retirement assets will be part of the marital distribution to the spouse, but I am not certain of that.

What is even more murky is what happens if a working spouse gets a divorce and then passes away. You would think that if the other spouse was a stay at home/non-working (i.e. talking care of the kids/home) they would be entitled to some of it.
Then again maybe that is negotiated in the divorce proceedings.

`
401K is not a pension. The beneficiary gets 100% of the 401K.

Old 03-29-2020, 03:51 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,862,926 times
Quote:
Yes, we're in Texas.
Here you go...

https://www.trs.texas.gov/TRS%20Docu...s_handbook.pdf

Old 03-29-2020, 03:59 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,862,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
Nailed it! I have been vindicated! I'm going to go back to assuming everything is about Texas now, unless otherwise told.
Hook 'em horns!

Old 03-29-2020, 04:06 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,380,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
As buiscuitmom said it varies with the pension so check with them.
Wouldn't this man with Pension plan have listed "Beneficiary"?? I don't understand because many younger ( pre-retirement age with pension plans normally designate beneficiaries???

My question >..Does her husband have a"Will"? He should have designated his assets to whomever he wished to have access to his Estate??

I personally understand when folks don't have a will when passing away.. It's complicated and costly endeavour to go through courts/ Lawyer Fee's and years of litigations to deal with!! It's probably insightful the OP asks such a question. Anecdotal.. I'm still trying to settle my eldest Estate, who passed @ 41 w/o will into year 3.3 years later!! He left 2 children ( only beneficiaries) that I have been trying to get settled for their future inheritance .. invested under a "Trust"..NOT me.

OP should do some research to find out NOW so can prepare herself for what could happen .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement