Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 10:14 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,136,321 times

Advertisements

We have been living as though we were retired for the past 5 years. We started little by little seeing what we could reduce and cut out. We cut back on the steak dinners, one meal a week. Started to consolidate our errands to one or two trips a week. We have been checking most of our books out of the public library instead of spending cash on paper backs at the bookstore. Lots of small things.

At this point it has gotten much easier and hardly noticeable to DH or me. I am amazed at how much money we had wasted in the past on "stuff" that had no real value.

We still do pretty much what we want, but we have learned to simplify to the point that there is very little in a material way that we do want.

We retired 8 months ago and our life hasn't changed much over what it has been for the past 4 or 5 years. Now, if we could just get the last son out of college we could REALLY start living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 07:39 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead_Broker View Post
Technically, there is no "money crunch". The money is out there. It may be in someone else's hands and not yours. What you have to do is decide how to reverse the process.
Yes, it's in the hands of the top 1% of the population.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:24 PM

739 posts, read 830,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
Well, most likely because they earned it.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:45 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
Quote:
So you would imagine that the 'wealthy' class of our society, are each sitting on drums filled with cash?

This is possible, I suppose. However I know that I have very little cash.

The people that I know who have Net Worths of seven figures or eight figures, from what I have observed none of them have much cash either.

Their 'wealth' is in investments. They own things which give them a return.

Picture a person who owns a forty year old truck and a livestock trailer, 5,000 acres and 10,000 cattle. His Net Worth may well be high, but he might have only $20 cash in his pocket.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:46 PM

739 posts, read 830,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
So you would imagine that the 'wealthy' class of our society, are each sitting on drums filled with cash?

This is possible, I suppose. However I know that I have very little cash.

The people that I know who have Net Worths of seven figures or eight figures, from what I have observed none of them have much cash either.

Their 'wealth' is in investments. They own things which give them a return.

Picture a person who owns a forty year old truck and a livestock trailer, 5,000 acres and 10,000 cattle. His Net Worth may well be high, but he might have only $20 cash in his pocket.
Don't mind Al - he's that cousin we all have that isn't quite right.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:51 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,343,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead_Broker View Post
Well, most likely because they earned it.
No most likely because they inherited it.

And if they did earn it, why does the "trickle down" theory not work? If someone has a business like Bill Gates, the actual workers do not benefit from the profits of the company. How come U.S. real wages have stagnated for decades?

"Trickle down, schmickle down". It does not happen.

Old 04-30-2008, 12:34 PM

Quote:
No most likely because they inherited it.
A very tiny percentage of the wealthy in America have inherited a dime.

Old 04-30-2008, 03:01 PM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
I believe something like half the millionaires in the U.S. inherited, and the majority of the rest are small business owners. I think I read this in "The Millionaire Next Door."

Now, I know a lot of ordinary working people who inherit something from their ordinary working relatives- if nothing else, a long-owned triple-decker in a place like Boston or something that is now worth serious money. I'd say the average inheritance is around $100K. Not enough to make someone wealthy, but more than enough to have a down payment, pay for college, get out of debt, etc.- enough to make a real improvement or change in life.
I am frankly surprised at the many inheritances like this I see among my hospital co-workers, most of whom are inheriting from their local retired grandparents or parents, who were ordinary working people.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:13 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,282,976 times
Probably this has to do with the huge growth in real estate over the past few years . Ordinary people are worth a lot on paper, anyway.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-30-2008, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I believe something like half the millionaires in the U.S. inherited, and the majority of the rest are small business owners. I think I read this in "The Millionaire Next Door."
That is really cool, you got the quote exactly opposite.

"Only 19 percent receive any income or wealth of any kind from a trust fund or an estate."

"Fewer than 20 percent inherited 10 percent or more of their wealth."

"More than half never received as much as $1 in inheritance."

"Fewer than 25 percent ever received "an act of kindness" of $10,000 or more from their parents, grandparents, or other relatives."

"Ninety-one percent never received, as a gift, as much as $1 of the ownership of a family business."

"Nearly half never received any college tuition from their parents or other relatives."

"Fewer than 10 percent believe they will ever receive an inheritance in the future."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement