Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2020, 05:42 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,334,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
Yes, it would be nice to at least quote a short excerpt of the article with the article's main topic or premise revealed in the OP.
But the news is shocking. A tiny COLA for SS from our bankrupt government. Who could have guessed? Next we’ll be told that if you need TP, you’re SOL. That seems to be SOP these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2020, 05:54 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,958,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Kiplinger Letter is predicting the SS COLA, announced in October 2020, will be less than 1%.
Thank you. That is a topic I would just skip over.

Old 04-14-2020, 07:05 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,510,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Yea, I hate having to click on a link rather than have the jist of the item explained in an OP, so I usually don't.
A few words would have explained the article. I actually did click on the link and found it to be TMI, and tl;dr.

Old 04-14-2020, 07:52 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,259,211 times
As I used to be told when I was a kid: “don’t spend it all in one place”.

Old 04-14-2020, 08:05 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,583,293 times
I am interested in this information - very much so - and interested in the content of the article.
Thanks for posting it, OP.

Old 04-14-2020, 08:35 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,873,251 times
I read parts of it and it was interesting, if annoying. Prices are going down???? Not around my area! The only thing that has gone down is gas, which of course no one is using much. DH went grocery shopping today and after $150 I watched him bring in a few bags. I waited for more, but that was it. I am on a low carb/low sugar diet and I eat a lot of eggs. But now they are $3/dozen.....were less than a buck before all this garbage. I see almost no sales and no coupons in the paper. Who has time to comparison shop? You just want to get in and get out away from everybody. Shelves are empty and those of us with special diets are pretty much out of luck. I needed several items today for me and DH could only find 2 out of 6, and that was going to 3 stores. I can't go because I have worse health problems than he does, so I can't just browse for produce.

My next nit-pick is...……...how come the COL is a percentage, but the Medicare goes up a flat rate for everyone?? Those with low SS income get a paltry amount while those with the high get a bunch more. But Medicare increases are the same no matter what. Why can't they both be one or the other? Either both are a percentage or both a flat rate. I know some people pay extra for Medicare but that's usually due to the fact they have lots of investment income or had an inheritance.

I think all this quarantine is allowing me to think too much!!!

Old 04-14-2020, 09:49 PM

5,328 posts, read 6,021,569 times
I saw that the CPI-U for March had dropped to -0.2% the other day. At that time, my immediate thought was Social Security's "harm harmless" provison. It seems to me this would be a good time for those who do not have their Medicare premium deducted directly from their Social Security check but have the option of doing so, to consider making that change before the end of the year. Just in case...

Old 04-15-2020, 10:29 AM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
s
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
That's kind of disappointing. But then, not too surprising.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/reti...id=mailsignout
I'm surprised we're getting one at all. We're probably entering a deep recession.

What's more important, though, is that the politicians have plans to try to cut Social Security and Medicare, both. The revenue for the country has been slashed in recent years...this is why the admin. is looking everywhere to cut costs, from firing hundreds of government workers, abolishing entire departments or cutting them to almost nothing, etc. Grasping at straws to get more money to replace the lost revenue (I don't think it's working).

If they cut the senior programs, I hope it's for future recipients and not current ones or soon-to-be beneficiaries, because it is literally too late for most seniors to make up for it. It will spell doom for many at the bottom. We made a deal decades ago. We paid in, did our part. It would be unethical & cruel to change the deal after the beneficiary can't make other plans.

It's sort of like when I bought a car one time. We made a deal. When I got home, I realized I'd been snookered. But nothing to be done about it. Then the dealership called and wanted something more. I told them that if they want to go back to the deal table, let's go. But calling me after the deal and wanting to change the terms to suit just you...that's not right.

Old 04-15-2020, 03:00 PM

8,488 posts, read 6,894,642 times
Thankfully I don’t depend on only Social Security to live on. What happens will happen.

Old 04-15-2020, 03:54 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
It's from Kiplinger's
I'm guessing that some people read just the post & not the subject line, so don't know what your post is about, or forgot the subject line. Just a guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement