Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2020, 05:39 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowilldo View Post
I regret leaving my home state of Colorado, but as Stealth Rabbit wrote, it has changed so much. Even so, I would go back tomorrow, far away from the Front Range though. I have never lived in another place other than Colorado and I miss home, family and the familiarity.

My primary hobbies have all been shuttered up except kayaking (left my SUP in CO w daughter so she doesn't go by herself) and cycling. One thing I do have here is swimming for fitness year around (on a tether) in our pool without having to join a club. Exercise is helping me keep my sanity at least.

It helps to have made friends here too.

I am currently figuring out a way to go back home for longer (much longer) stays. Looking at rentals, I don't want to own two homes. Considering going the (small) RV route as well, I enjoy road trips.

OP, I think if you have not lived in many places you should examine if leaving your home base will be something you really want/need and desire. I questioned this move openly at the time and now I know.
Yup... Colorado cannot be beat for cycling and driver awareness and legal use of entire right lane.
(2 days / week) We cycled 40 - 60 miles before work with 6000 ft of elevation change
3 days / week we walked across the street and swam laps at lunchtime (72 lengths in 1/2 hr to 'drown-our-work-sorrows' and to 'freshen up' (dusty factory job)

Kayaking, I usually went to WY (40 min) often after or before work.

Living in a town with population 5 was a joy. but that too has changed. It is really tough to 'recreate' a great life. Our ranch is now a Mtn Bike park, no more Cow Pies .

I miss all that stuff a lot! (No pools or biking for last 30 yrs ) 280 days / yr of drizzle / overcast, no community pools, very dangerous to bike (on rainy narrow roads where car drivers have not seen a bike in 20 yrs. (4 friends have been killed cycling locally)
One has to be really careful why / where you leave to. (FL will be one place I NEVER live!) Personally... I hate to fish.

Small RV... try this, ours is great! 18 - 20 MPG Winnebago Rialta Motor Home
My mom bought one for her double amputee spouse ($16k used with 16k miles!)
Also look at BT Cruisers (RV's are not always cheap in FL) I would find a diesel cuz I prefer 20 mpg and brew my own fuel (for free). Appleseed Biodiesel processor. Navion is another possibility, but Sprinters are EXPENSIVE to fix and maintain. Hope it never breaks.
You can buy really nice Diesel Pusher Class A's for under $100k.

I just put (4) props up for sale (FSBO), including my rentals that have my shops and spare cabin. (2 sold within 2 weeks) I will probably find a couple small RV's and keep them in regions and fly back and forth. Maybe build more barndominiums near airports in CO, TX, CA to house the RV and motorcycles.

Similar area to CO I will try is income tax free Spearfish SD. Nice pool in Lead, SD, great biking and kayaking in Black Hills.

Tenants are leaving tomorrow to find a place near Chama, NM (They miss the mtns)

Oh to have bought one of the (5) homes within Teton NP in about 1970...
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 06:01 AM

24 posts, read 30,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
finding a place to retire and are focusing on Virginia, Delaware, Washington and South Carolina and maybe North Carolina.

Please clarify WA State or DC? (must be DC due to the 'outlier' of PNW from your chosen region)

I've regretted all my moves (at some point or another).

There will be multiple moves in retirement, but domicile will remain US State income tax free if it even means SD; One overnight / lifetime to meet domicile requirement, and NOT trigger domicile elsewhere (such as CA, NY, PA... ) US Protectorate is another low tax option.

All of your states are high heat and humidity and you mention you don't like humidity .
To avoid 'regret'... I would head somewhere NOT hot and humid

I'll stay left coast (and regret it at times).

At the moment it helps to have (3) USA homes in different climates + a lot of overseas travel.
I regret leaving my home state (Colorado), but it is VERY different now, and so am I.
There are others in my household, so my choice is not THE ONLY choice. (yet). Whoever dies first..., the survivor can 'blast off' with no regrets. And Blast Off we will do!

Moving is very expensive and very frequently full of regrets.

or...

Get beyond that.

I did a very exhaustive 'relocation' spreadsheet with weighted musts and wants. Really helped to clarify how the high priorities emotionally might not make much sense. Numbers do not lie (unless you want them to).

LauraC has a very helpful and comprehensive checklist for retirement relocation.

I don't hink there is a 'regrets' column.

BTW, many readers (current and future) appreciate ALL responses. as this is a public forum, not a private chat group (unless the author censors and controls the thread to ONLY get the responses they deem pertinent. ) Thus you no longer have a forum... just a feed of 'controlled' thoughts. BTDT for bosses. No thanks for that 'narrow thought' anymore (no bosses since age 49).

I absolutely REGRET my current location (for today) but... I came to avoid rain (which it is doing at my 'other' home.)
so... it's meeting my objectives as defined 7 yrs ago.
Tomorrow may be different (doubt it).
But only 'I' can resolve that.

"Grow and blossom where you are planted"
eventually you will get transplanted, or DEEPLY planted .
Washington state not DC. I can handle some humidity but not the endless sweltering summers that start in April and last until November. Virginia and Delaware have humidity but it is nothing compared to the gulf coast. I am also doing a spreadsheet.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:27 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,022,681 times
We are in Vancouver, not BC
Washington, not DC

Been really good for DW and kids. For me (prairie farm kid) the weather really gets to me because I am outside all day, everyday. DW and adult kids can go outside when they choose (nice days).

Washington state has vast climates and recreation and living options, including low cost. Being next door to sales tax free Oregon and very clean and recreation centric BC is very handy.

I only regret that I left my previous home, but.... The career and benefits of doing so we're best for the greater good. (Family, income, investments, gifting, recreation and educational options....). I just need to exit more wisely and gracefully, and pursue the challenges and change as opportunities, rather than regrets.

Old 05-13-2020, 08:14 AM

1,304 posts, read 855,059 times
Sort of yes and no for me. I do not regret leaving the expensive, crowded West Coast for the Midwest. However, after buying a house where I did last year, I think we will end up moving back up by the city next year. Love the house and area here in North Central Ohio, but I underestimated my love of driving...an hour or more to each of the larger cities! My granddaughter who is 25, does not love the quiet, natural setting like I do....she is bored to tears and we both miss some of the friends we made there....people here are a bit more cliquish and also too conservative for my taste, really. So, who knows how it will all pan out with the pandemic going on (didn't mean that pun, or whatever!) but most likely will sell here in a year or less and buy something further up north. At least it's not another long distance move!

Old 05-13-2020, 09:26 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,306,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artistherapy View Post
Ok, not to be mean but the question was do you personally regret moving to a new city/state/country. Please no childhood stories, anecdote about a relative or friend and you don't need to chime in if you don't regret moving. Thanks
I regret moving to Florida. Is that concise enough for you?

Old 05-13-2020, 10:51 AM

24 posts, read 30,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I regret moving to Florida. Is that concise enough for you?
It is. Thanks for not adding a bunch of irrelevant gibberish.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:59 AM

10,347 posts, read 8,563,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artistherapy View Post
It is. Thanks for not adding a bunch of irrelevant gibberish.
I gotta say that since I've been on CD I've learned a lot from posts that deviate off topic a little. When you are making a huge decision you want all the info you can get and may find the deviations cover things you never thought of but should have.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:48 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,867,462 times
Did you move somewhere for retirement that you now absolutely regret?

Yes.

Old 05-13-2020, 02:26 PM

1,066 posts, read 765,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
I gotta say that since I've been on CD I've learned a lot from posts that deviate off topic a little. When you are making a huge decision you want all the info you can get and may find the deviations cover things you never thought of but should have.
^^^ This. Exactly.

Fine to write you regret moving to a place as asked, but seems a natural progression to expand on why, at least to some extent. A simple yes or no answer serves no purpose for beneficial information gathering unless a simple poll is being conducted. And I don't see anything like that in this thread.

Old 05-13-2020, 02:35 PM

7,774 posts, read 6,381,525 times
The safest move is to rent a place in a proposed community for at least a year and see if you can live with the climate and the culture.

In my experience I find Florida to have a more comfortable climate than tidewater Virginia and DC is worse.

The climate in Florida is not all the same. North FL is quite different from the southern part, inland tends to be warmer than the coasts. When our kids were in Tallahassee they phoned to tell us it was snowing.

Folks who grew up in coastal locations generally get acclimated quicker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement