Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2020, 04:12 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,963,905 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this is normal in the present situation. Checked the IRS web site and nothing turns up for my return. I mailed in my return 3/12/20. In past years got a refund within 6 weeks. Anyone else who filed a paper return (not online) noticing an unusual delay on their refund?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2020, 04:19 PM

61,745 posts, read 87,194,708 times
Here's everything you need to track your federal tax refund and your state tax refund — plus some crucial tips about tax refunds.
https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/taxes/track-my-refund/

Old 05-12-2020, 05:05 PM

43,142 posts, read 18,298,681 times
I did mine electronic this year as I read that processing paper filings are limited or are suspended due to the virus.
I got my refund within a week direct deposited to my bank account.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-urg...ine-assistance
To protect the public and employees, and in compliance with orders of local health authorities around the country, certain IRS services such as live assistance on telephones, processing paper tax returns and responding to correspondence are extremely limited or suspended until further notice.

Old 05-12-2020, 05:20 PM

6,627 posts, read 7,350,203 times
To be safe I would refile and put a note on the top as to when you filed the original return.

Old 05-12-2020, 06:26 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,963,905 times
Thanks. That link contained the answer to my question...I have to wait until the processing centers reopen. I wonder how people will know the centers are open again?

"Paper Tax Returns: All taxpayers should file electronically through their tax preparer, tax software provider or IRS Free File if possible. The IRS is not currently able to process individual paper tax returns. If you already have filed via paper but it has not yet been processed, do not file a second tax return or write to the IRS to inquire about the status of your return or your economic impact payment. Paper returns will be processed once processing centers are able to reopen."

I imagine that also is the case with my NJ State tax return which was also filed on paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I did mine electronic this year as I read that processing paper filings are limited or are suspended due to the virus.
I got my refund within a week direct deposited to my bank account.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-urg...ine-assistance
To protect the public and employees, and in compliance with orders of local health authorities around the country, certain IRS services such as live assistance on telephones, processing paper tax returns and responding to correspondence are extremely limited or suspended until further notice.

Old 05-13-2020, 05:29 AM

705 posts, read 562,531 times
You can check on your refund here.

https://sa.www4.irs.gov/irfof/lang/e...fgetstatus.jsp

Old 05-13-2020, 05:35 AM

810 posts, read 1,182,804 times
My daughter paper filed in mid Feb and is still waiting. Unfortunately she not only hasn’t received the stimulus but the site can’t identify her. So frustrating

Old 05-13-2020, 06:11 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,271,617 times
I'm in your shoes, too- filed in early March on paper and I'm owed a substantial refund, for the first time in years. I also get the "We can't find it" message. Unfortunately, that refund was going to pay half the cost of new kitchen countertops and the credit card payment for the work is due in 2 weeks. (Yes, I DO have the cash flow to fund it, but...)

FWIW, even though the IRS tells you NOT to e-file if you've already filed on paper, my brother, who just retired as Partner in charge of Taxation at a big CPA firm, said to do it anyway. I haven't but I could be tempted.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:44 AM

65 posts, read 42,892 times
Same here. Filed around 01 April by mail including bank information for direct deposit of refund. The IRS website reads three weeks to process after receipt. I just wanted to check they received it, but no, I also get the "We can't find it" message. I did manage to put in our bank information for direct deposit of the stimulus monies (I heard today is the last day to provide bank information).

Old 05-13-2020, 07:24 AM

8,080 posts, read 7,451,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
I don't know if this is normal in the present situation. Checked the IRS web site and nothing turns up for my return. I mailed in my return 3/12/20. In past years got a refund within 6 weeks. Anyone else who filed a paper return (not online) noticing an unusual delay on their refund?
I filed my return electronically on 3/28 and the IRS acknowledged they received it. But so far no refund and no date for a refund either. We're all in the same boat except the folks who filed before the pandemic or at the very beginning of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement