Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2020, 07:45 PM

2,920 posts, read 1,867,787 times

Advertisements

Life has been disrupted since mid-March. Waiting to get back to the old routine, places, people I would see, visit. Now, it seems, I have been more laid back (lazy!) Read A lot more, Post on C-D.

Any Positive changes in your new routine ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2020, 08:11 PM

12,068 posts, read 10,376,973 times
yes - new sleeping habits. Going to bed earlier, getting up earlier and going out to exercise first thing in the morning. Its great.

Except tonight. I am still awake watching the VP news.

Oh and listening to the rosary on my ipad before i go to sleep. Very soothing.

Old 08-11-2020, 09:05 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,870,793 times
Turn off paid TV, we just have antenna now. Go swimming everyday, on track to lose 30 lbs, then I’ll stop. Gardening and eating healthy food from my garden. All positive changes.

Old 08-11-2020, 09:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,913 posts, read 58,661,794 times
Oh I wish I could get on track to summer schedule before it's too late!

Just not keen on getting up in the dark and being productive. (Worked Night shift since age 15, before that it was Dairy farm (4:30 AM mandatory misery (for my rhythmn).)

Really is necessary in a hot climate to be up before dawn. Coolest part of day is currently 8 am, but sunrise is very late at 7:30am.

Currently swimming a couple hundred laps at peak heat of the day. Extended pool dates due to school delayed start date! That is a real plus.

104f tomorrow, tad toasty for me (no AC in car or cabin)

Old 08-11-2020, 10:11 PM

8,736 posts, read 8,729,337 times
My house is cleaner. Now that I'm not working hardly at all I can keep on top of the housekeeping. I finished painting the house (interior) and wood patio furniture.. and it just happens our HOA is having the exterior painted this year too (we are the last building though.. probably will be in October before they get to us). I added hundreds of dollars worth of flowers to the rooftop patio and now it looks stunning. They need lots of water though so I do spend 15 minutes every morning watering plants.

We are saving money and wasting less on food. I have the time to really consider our menu and think of ways to use up odds and ends.

I feel like I'm living out my best domestic self without the pressure of feeling like I need to do more.

Old 08-12-2020, 05:26 AM

1,131 posts, read 393,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Life has been disrupted since mid-March. Waiting to get back to the old routine, places, people I would see, visit. Now, it seems, I have been more laid back (lazy!) Read A lot more, Post on C-D.

Any Positive changes in your new routine ?
Self learning guitar. Able to swim laps w/ social distancing - working on stroke/form.

Old 08-12-2020, 05:42 AM

959 posts, read 803,413 times
My AC is broken and I live in the desert. Fortunately, I own a portable swamp cooler, but that's not enough to beat the afternoon westerly sun beating in on my living room. Before CV-19, I would just camp out at the gym until the sun set, but don't want to take that risk now.

So, I've altered my sleep schedule to sleep from 8AM - 12PM, then up to eat breakfast and catch the market close at 1:00PM, then go back to bed from 3:00PM - 7:30PM when the sun starts to set. That's working well for me until I can get a competent tech to service my AC. I figure my chances are better in the off season starting October.

Old 08-12-2020, 07:05 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,973,332 times
No "new routine" here, I do what I've always been doing.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:18 AM

5,951 posts, read 5,148,866 times
Finally settled into life as it is, a lot less anxiety. Depression/anxiety were my biggest problems. I still have occasional depression, but feeling a lot better about life in general.

I do think I missed the boat on a few things. Like living near water. Having an apartment with a washer and dryer in it. Having a swimming pool. Living in an area where walking in the neighborhood would be pleasant.

I'm 78. Low income. Not really interested in taking more risks. Been there done that. Went bankrupt.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:12 AM

15,260 posts, read 13,117,246 times
I'm busier than I was before the pandemic.

I had let the housekeeping chores go. I'm getting caught up with that. DH got us an extension on our taxes. I'm still working on that. I pay the bills. My business is picking up a bit and I don't want to lose any sales. A good chunk of my day goes to getting more merchandise ready to send to the Amazon warehouses. And then there's the never-ending stream of packages arriving, since it's the only way I can get the things I need without leaving the house. I have an entire room full of empty cardboard boxes, and when I have a spare moment, I cut some of them down for recycling.

Several hours a day are devoted to taking care of my health and another hour is dedicated to exercising. Lots of glute and balance work. Hey, I can finally do bodyweight squats! I couldn't do that when I was 50 lbs heavier.

https://www.silversneakers.com/blog/...one-your-legs/

There aren't enough hours in the day. I'm in bed before 9:30.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement