Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 09:24 AM

23,911 posts, read 33,722,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Great idea! My niece was married in a similar place in the Berkshires of Massachusetts. It was lovely and different.

Crissey Farm

I hope you find what you're looking for and move forward with your plan.
Here is their wedding page so the OP can see their prices and food choices to give her ideas for a web site when she's ready to do it. They also have a photo gallery which would be important to me if I were looking for venues.

Last edited by Roselvr; 08-18-2020 at 09:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2020, 01:19 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,827,253 times
For what you want and where you want it, you're going to need to move that decimal point one digit to the right.

Old 08-18-2020, 04:11 PM

7,499 posts, read 6,298,796 times
Don’t call it a plantation.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/poli...ke-lively.html

Old 08-18-2020, 06:59 PM

121 posts, read 143,086 times
In a pandemic environment businesses that require people getting together are dead on arrival. Talk to people in this business before you drop your life's savings. Better idea: don't drop your life savings on this now.

Old 08-19-2020, 03:31 AM

23,911 posts, read 33,722,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Wow, that's ridiculous. Belle Plantation is one that has been very respectful to it's history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Netflix View Post
In a pandemic environment businesses that require people getting together are dead on arrival. Talk to people in this business before you drop your life's savings. Better idea: don't drop your life savings on this now.
It will take time for the OP to find, buy and get set up.

States are starting to open back up. I'm in South Jersey, playgrounds opened back up. We have a choice of whether to send my grandson to school a few days a week or total home school. He has immune issues, staying home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I have a 'Federal retired' cousin in Shepherdstown trying to do the same thing (for last 10+ yrs),

She could probably use a partner.

$300k will not start to handle it for a properly zoned and equipped 'commercial / event center'

Lots of Gotchas. Neighbors being the first and foremost. But zoning, traffic studies, sanitation, electricity,,, Barns are not designed for events (Liability and regulations). Some friend's had to add fire sprinklers. That was pretty close to $300k itself.

Outdoor weddings are easier.
That's a long time to look

Old 08-19-2020, 06:00 AM

1,074 posts, read 775,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrahasa View Post
Hi all
I live in Northern Virginia Reston Area,, and my dream is to retire on a farm build a barn and rent it for weddings , I have a hobby of decorating for events.

While I can live in a ranch home in same property and do gardening all summer long
I have been researching on and off and I am confused on where to buy -Middle burg/ Purcellville/ Waterford/ Lovettsville/ Roundhill/ Leesburg are some of my desirable areas
What to buy
Buy a land in AR1 Zonning and then convert?
Buy a land with barn already build and then apply permission for weddings
I am so confused and none of the real estate agents I work with seem to know much knowledge in this subject
They all ask me to call county.
As much as I want to pursue my dream I don’t want to all my life savings and then realize I did it all wrong
I really really appreciate any advice you have.

I my budget is under 300k.
Awesome! I held onto that dream for many years too. Had the perfect spot picked out on the Western Slope of Colorado. The land is likely burning right now...

I hope it works out for you, especially right now during the Rona where gatherings of people are being suppressed. I wanted to go a little bit farther with my idea of having a few small cabins or B&B where primary wedding party people could have accommodations on site too.

Seems like you might want to go higher on the budget as weddings typically require space for people to gather (think parking and access) without spilling over on and affecting the neighbors. Acreage isn't necessarily cheap.

Don't automatically assume you can easily change zoning to suit your use. Definitely do thorough research with county officials before you offer any $. Talk to the neighbors to get a feel for things as well.

Good luck!

Old 08-19-2020, 06:12 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,638,470 times
Wait till you see how much it costs to put a new roof on a leaky barns. And anything else necessary to meet code before you can invit the public inside, and insure it as a venue.

The reason barns are so rare anymor is that their owners can't afford to even keep them standing empty.

Old 08-19-2020, 06:14 AM

15,598 posts, read 7,648,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandrahasa View Post
Hi all
I live in Northern Virginia Reston Area,, and my dream is to retire on a farm build a barn and rent it for weddings , I have a hobby of decorating for events.

While I can live in a ranch home in same property and do gardening all summer long
I have been researching on and off and I am confused on where to buy -Middle burg/ Purcellville/ Waterford/ Lovettsville/ Roundhill/ Leesburg are some of my desirable areas
What to buy
Buy a land in AR1 Zonning and then convert?
Buy a land with barn already build and then apply permission for weddings
I am so confused and none of the real estate agents I work with seem to know much knowledge in this subject
They all ask me to call county.
As much as I want to pursue my dream I don’t want to all my life savings and then realize I did it all wrong
I really really appreciate any advice you have.

I my budget is under 300k.
Several people I know, based on their experiences, have said to never, ever, turn your hobby into your job. You will end up hating your life, your customers, and just about anyone you deal with.

Your budget is off by a factor of at least 10.

Old 08-19-2020, 10:34 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,797 posts, read 58,339,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit
I have a 'Federal retired' cousin in Shepherdstown trying to do the same thing (for last 10+ yrs),

She could probably use a partner.
That's a long time to look
She has the property barn and zoning, just running short on $$ to do the renovation. (and justifying if it is worth the expense / trouble / commitment / hours). Might stick with keeping goats in the (expensive) barn.

Very desirable property with stream, swimming pool, 1700's stone home... all that requires a lot of time and money to maintain. And is NOT revenue generating at the moment.

Count all the costs,
Know your customers and competition.
Have 5+ yrs operating capital
Seek professional advice, or at least FREE business evaluation guidance. (SCORE and SBDC)

Old 08-19-2020, 11:51 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,179,109 times
My neighbors that had a few thousand acres did just that about 10 years ago, though they already owned the farm. They had to apply for a variance with the county, and get a bunch of signatures from neighboring properties that would agree to it before the variance was approved. They have an awesome venue now, and my daughter was actually married there this month.

I don't think there is any way you can buy a place KNOWING this will be allowed beforehand. At least in Colorado, it is a long involved process to get the approvals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement