Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 02:53 PM

6,788 posts, read 5,529,136 times

Advertisements

In the same vein as my "Explain" series, the screen name and house, the natural next logical step is...your vehicle!

I drive a 2019 Dodge Grand caravan.

It has bells and whistles..my favorite, especially this time of year in the great white north, is the remote starter!
For some reason, they missed the heated part on the leather/suede seats. But I guess I don't really notice.

It's my 4th Dodge Minivan, and 5th minivan total. Before that I had two different pickup trucks.

I LOVE the "stow and go"seats, can, do, and have hauled LOT of stuff. The cargo capacity is the real convenience of it.

Plus, I can haul 6 people with me.

The only feature they don't put in them anymore is AWD. The sales rep said they favored the stow & go over AWD, so they dropped the AWD.

Somewhere, via a sinking fund for motility, I will pick up a cheaper used AWD for next winter.

I got firestone's Weather Gripper all season tires, expensive (twice as much), but I think they have made a definite difference in getting to work with 5-7" on snow and nasty unplowed roads to get me to work in the middle of the night.
You know the kind..where you're driving down the the middle of what you HOPE is the road you HOPE you are on??!!

Cargo capacity!! A wonderful thing, without a big gas guzzling truck (although I am a bit disappointed with the mileage I do get.

So...this is NOT about: a) who has the most expensive; b) not about who has the most (we are talking your daily driver); c)who has the biggest name brand; d) or who spent the most.

So... Explain your daily driver vehicle!

Let the fun begin!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2021, 02:58 PM

2,568 posts, read 2,541,809 times
2020 Toyota Rav 4 Hybrid Limited. Its great around town or on the highway, so far excellent in the snow, love all the safety features, its fun to drive and it's comfortable. And at 42-43 mpg, I'm happy.

Old 02-05-2021, 03:01 PM

2,396 posts, read 632,377 times
We recently bought a 2018 Toyota Rav4 Limited. All the bells and whistles, leather, heated seats - navigation, backup camera, only seats 5 but it's just the 2 of us now. Memory seats are great. I love this vehicle.

Old 02-05-2021, 03:06 PM

25,698 posts, read 17,467,620 times
Her '08 CRV has neither bell nor whistle. It has 174,000 miles, is pristine, and She won't part with it.

My '90 GMC 4X4 short bed with sunroof, bucket seats and 5.7 Liters of pure-ass hell under the hood is my pride and joy. The intake is relieved, it has headers and a free-flow cat. I bought it new in 1990, have put 400,000 miles on it, and it is not for sale.

Old 02-05-2021, 03:07 PM

8,600 posts, read 4,843,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
In the same vein as my "Explain" series, the screen name and house, the natural next logical step is...your vehicle!

I drive a 2019 Dodge Grand caravan.

It has bells and whistles..my favorite, especially this time of year in the great white north, is the remote starter!
For some reason, they missed the heated part on the leather/suede seats. But I guess I don't really notice.

It's my 4th Dodge Minivan, and 5th minivan total. Before that I had two different pickup trucks.

I LOVE the "stow and go"seats, can, do, and have hauled LOT of stuff. The cargo capacity is the real convenience of it.

Plus, I can haul 6 people with me.

The only feature they don't put in them anymore is AWD. The sales rep said they favored the stow & go over AWD, so they dropped the AWD.

Somewhere, via a sinking fund for motility, I will pick up a cheaper used AWD for next winter.

I got firestone's Weather Gripper all season tires, expensive (twice as much), but I think they have made a definite difference in getting to work with 5-7" on snow and nasty unplowed roads to get me to work in the middle of the night.
You know the kind..where you're driving down the the middle of what you HOPE is the road you HOPE you are on??!!

Cargo capacity!! A wonderful thing, without a big gas guzzling truck (although I am a bit disappointed with the mileage I do get.

So...this is NOT about: a) who has the most expensive; b) not about who has the most (we are talking your daily driver); c)who has the biggest name brand; d) or who spent the most.

So... Explain your daily driver vehicle!

Let the fun begin!

Not retired, or even close, but I’m a bit of a minivan partisan. Just wanted to give you some kudos. Minivans are poo-poohed by a lot of folks these days because their image is so crappy. I have the Caravan’s preppier sister, a Chrysler Town and Country, and it’s a beast for cargo capacity. The Stow n Go seats would make me feel stupid for buying a different van, let alone an SUV/CUV. Fuel economy is meh, but then again mine weighs 4650lbs curb weight. These things are freaking awesome.

Old 02-05-2021, 03:19 PM

37,778 posts, read 46,273,948 times
I have a 2018 JGC. Bought it used, with 17k on it, so it was practically new. Even so, I have never in my life spent so much money on a car! My last one was my first used car and I kept it 9 years - shortest amount of time I have ever driven a car. My JGC is 4WD, and that is what I needed. I got it as I will be visiting my brother this spring and if it is raining it will be difficult to get up the mountain with just 2WD. It was between a GC and an Outback (which I have had before) and I found the GC first. I am pretty happy with it. LOVE the color, and it is very comfortable. (I am not retired but I will be in about a year!).

Old 02-05-2021, 03:39 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,833 posts, read 58,417,495 times
1970's 50mpg Diesel Rabbit (of course)
$35 each (@ auction) I have plenty of spares, but they seldom break down
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
...I’m a bit of a minivan partisan.... a beast for cargo capacity. ... These things are freaking awesome.
I too keep a minivan at each home (Very versatile for hauling people and things and 'stealth' camping).
Tow a "Snow Bear" utility trailer for bulky stuff. (Works well for a Hearse also). living in the mtns, I prefer the RT, GT, or Sport version of minivan. (Larger brakes, cooling, and sway bars).

Old 02-05-2021, 03:43 PM

8,600 posts, read 4,843,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
1970's 50mpg Diesel Rabbit (of course)
$35 each (@ auction) I have plenty of spares, but they seldom break down

I too keep a minivan at each home (Very versatile for hauling people and things and 'stealth' camping).
Tow a "Snow Bear" utility trailer for bulky stuff. (Works well for a Hearse also). living in the mtns, I prefer the RT, GT, or Sport version of minivan. (Larger brakes, cooling, and sway bars).
Nice!

Sounds like I need to get into that auction game. 42ish MPG Civic here, and I shopped TDI MkIV Golfs. An old Rabbit diesel sounds kinda fun, especially for that price/

Old 02-05-2021, 03:53 PM

6,829 posts, read 3,243,941 times
2017 Subaru Outback. really enjoy this vehicle. The heated seats are great, as well as the variable cruise control and other bells and whistles, and it gets close to 30 MPG.

Old 02-05-2021, 03:59 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,825 posts, read 81,789,377 times
I drive a 2017 4x4 F150, with the 385 horsepower Coyote V8. I bought it to pull our 25' 6,000 lb travel trailer, but use it for running around, and hauling home materials for projects. It only gets 15/21mpg, 11-12 towing, but sounds great and is fun to drive with that much power.

We just bought my wife's 2020 Outback last fall, traded in her 2014 Escape which had only 40,000 miles but had already been recalled 3 times, had some problems on warranty and after, and now there is a class action lawsuit on them for an overheating issue. The Outback is really comfortable, and has every safety and convenience feature, including heated seats which she likes a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement