Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2021, 09:20 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
That is why I am not eager to go anywhere soon. Nothing is open normally so why spend money on that? Am in the next group (69 yo) so still waiting for the call. Wife is handicapped so under the best conditions, traveling is a big chore , not fun.
I got my first dose (age 59) because I also broke my right arm severely and had to have surgery a few weeks ago. So I am guessing my doctor let someone somewhere know. I have no other pre existing conditions so that has to be it. I am planning on my second shot around March 1 so by the middle of March I should be fully vaccinated and protected.

That being said, my granddaughter and I drove her truck back to my house in Texas, from her other grandparents' house in Venice, FL in late September. We stopped several times along the way, including for several days in New Orleans. Wow. It was like a freaking ghost town. I have NEVER seen New Orleans the way I saw it then - and I didn't like it. I missed the crowds. Most of all, though, I missed all the businesses that were shut down.

Even if I can travel internationally this summer, I have a feeling that many, many places will be similar no matter where I go.

So much for London! At least for the time being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2021, 09:25 AM

4,717 posts, read 3,268,961 times
Fingers crossed- scheduled for the first dose in a week and they also scheduled the appointment for the second.

I have Eastern Europe booked, leaving June 26. That might be a "go" now. I would not make that trip without the vaccine, no matter what the rules are. The tour company (Overseas Adventure) is very well-run and they'll change the itinerary if some countries close. I also booked Macchu Picchu and the Galapagos in May 2022 with them. I can move either with no additional charge and they're mostly paid for by credits from a curtailed trip last March. Booked Belize and Guatemala on UnCruise in October and just have a $750 deposit at risk now.

I sincerely hope both these companies stay in business- to me that's the biggest risk. UnCruise ventured out in Alaska last October and a single case was discovered on board (they'd been tested at the airport and the results came in). They went back to port, all quarantined, no one else got COVID but they're not venturing out again till April. OAT is making sure the groups are even smaller on the vans (max group size is only 12 or 14 anyway) and I'm sure there will be masking requirements and we'll comply with local requirements. The experts seem to think there may be a way for vaccinated people to transmit COVID anyway and I sure don't want to be the cause of any COVID cases among the locals when I visit.

Old 02-20-2021, 10:08 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Yes, that is what we've been told, repeatedly. But the data we're seeing from the Israelis strongly suggests that won't happen.
Since people have only had their second vaccine for several weeks, how much data is there to analyze? The FDA is going through months of data on the new J&J vaccine and has not yet reached a conclusion.

OTOH - People like Typhoid Mary certainly show that someone with an immunity can spread a disease.

Old 02-20-2021, 10:16 AM

4,279 posts, read 5,937,011 times
No Where!!

We are still in the midst of a Pandemic and none of our actions are changing a bit. We are staying fully masked and strictly limiting public exposure.

Our anxiety level has decreased after receiving the vaccines. The anxiety will drop significantly more after our sons and daughters-in-law are vaccinated.

Plus, I haven't forgotten that the vaccines provide Zero Benefit for 5% of the recipients.

Old 02-20-2021, 10:21 AM

5,251 posts, read 3,609,565 times
When Ireland & Portugal infection rates go down & businesses like restaurants, cafes, pubs, etc.. open up I'll hop over there for an extended stay, as in a few months.

But I realized this morning what terrible shape I'm in after 10-11 months of mostly staying inside my condo other than walking to the grocery. So I might also force... errr, "treat" myself to an extended stay at a fat far... errr,.. "fitness & hiking resort" out in the Southwest.

So I'll have to see which impulse wins out when I decide.

Old 02-20-2021, 10:38 AM

48,531 posts, read 34,851,331 times
We are not old enough for the vax, and generally speaking we will continue with what we have been doing this year.

Planned trips with the RV are Lake Shasta with family and the boat, and OR camping with family after that, we will continue on the WA to visit one of the kids.

We just came back from a day trip to Mammoth CA, and I want to go back and camp for a week, we will also do Bodie if they have opened tours back up. Those areas are close.

I'm not going to plan anything that is dependent on having fun only if stuff is open.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-20-2021, 10:45 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,432,316 times
We hope to travel up to New England in our RV this summer to deliver a car and to visit family without having to quarantine or get tested. Getting tested isn't really the issue as much as the time frame as we would probably want to stop on the way up which would make it hard to get it. 2 weeks after my final shot I am feeling a little bit more relaxed on going out but will probably still go only to restaurants that aren't crowded if only because during this whole time we found it more enjoyable not to have too many people around while dining.

Here in Florida we are doing pretty good in getting over 65 vaccinated despite people's complaints with as of yesterday 43+% over 65 vaccinated. When more shipments get here I expect that that number will rise fast and then vaccinations will open up to others (probably teachers and other workers then over 50).

Old 02-20-2021, 10:55 AM

215 posts, read 190,307 times
My wife is older than I. She has her first shot and after she gets her second, we are moving to another state. I won't have either shot by then. She has been retired for a couple years and I have been off work since November 2020 and retired in December 2020. We are tired of being stuck here need to get out.
That being said, we still plan to wear masks and social distance as much as possible.

Old 02-20-2021, 11:07 AM

18,726 posts, read 33,390,141 times
[quote=athena53;60444980]... The tour company (Overseas Adventure) is very well-run and they'll change the itinerary if some countries close. .../QUOTE]

I absolutely love OAT- used to live down the street from them and knew many people who took trips with them, and I took a trip to Nepal with them in 1992, so I think they'll stay in business! Have a great and safe time.

Old 02-20-2021, 11:26 AM

1,465 posts, read 1,083,846 times
I guess OAT must have been hit hard by the Pandemic. Their reviews on Yelp and Trip Advisor have not been very complimentary!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement