Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2021, 10:55 PM

7,381 posts, read 4,162,829 times

Advertisements

Last month, we sold our 2,800 square foot money pit. I loved my garden, but taxes were too high. I was basically paying $15,000 a year for garbage pickup.

We are renting a townhouse with a little fenced backyard. We have two pets - a dog and a cat. It's well built with no sounds from the neighbors. In theory, it's fine.

The downsizes. First, my old house had an acre of land but, I could heard neighborhood kids playing and dogs barking at deer. When I was alone outside, I still felt connected to life. Yet, my backyard was completely private.

This condo is too quiet - no kids playing outside and no wildlife - and not private enough. We used to live in our backyard - barbeque, dine and talk. Our neighbors can hear and see everything from their second floor windows. It's like living in a fish bowl.

I'm happy we sold our home. I was always waiting for something to break. The heating/taxes were too much. It's a big relief. But, a condo isn't a long term solution either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2021, 01:19 AM

32,960 posts, read 36,433,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
Well first off thanks everyone, My concept of condo life seems different from reality. I knew there may be some noise issues here and there but I assummed HOA's would step in and handle situations of people playing loud music, barking dogs etc-.

The bad thing is I do love our neighborhood, I just hate the taxes (again over 10 grand a year) and the house is an older house (1938) so I view that its always going to need work, upkeep.

When we moved to the east coast (Philly area) from the midwest the housing stock did decline quite a bit in our price range. We ended up buying this older house which had a lot of issues that we didnt really want to deal with, but there were literally no other houses to chose so we bought this and figured we would do repairs in due time. I also figured with starting a second career that I would rapidly pay the house down so I could live mortgage free (even though tax bill would still be a burden). So every month I pay $5000 in total mortgage payments and by early 2027 the house will be paid in full. In general I originally felt that being in my early 50's that this wasnt a bad plan. Now I've kinda changed my tune, I dont do the hobbies I used to do, I dont like my new job and there isnt much else I can do to make similar money so I'm left with sucking it up and continue with not enjoying life to its fullest to keep wife happy (because of her love of the house) or keep trying to convince her to sell.

Sorry I know this was/is kind of a rant, all of your suggestions/thoughts really have helped as that a condo is off the table with the horror stories I've read
1938. That must have been a great year to build houses. My son rents one of those in South Jersey. When he was having an electrical problem, he followed the wires to a drywalled post in the basement. He found a nasty electrical connection from probably that decade and a section of tree trunk being used as a primary support. I have no idea how any of this passed inspection. Maybe I do.

Old 02-28-2021, 07:51 AM

840 posts, read 696,064 times
Guessing youre from PA as well ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Last month, we sold our 2,800 square foot money pit. I loved my garden, but taxes were too high. I was basically paying $15,000 a year for garbage pickup.

We are renting a townhouse with a little fenced backyard. We have two pets - a dog and a cat. It's well built with no sounds from the neighbors. In theory, it's fine.

The downsizes. First, my old house had an acre of land but, I could heard neighborhood kids playing and dogs barking at deer. When I was alone outside, I still felt connected to life. Yet, my backyard was completely private.

This condo is too quiet - no kids playing outside and no wildlife - and not private enough. We used to live in our backyard - barbeque, dine and talk. Our neighbors can hear and see everything from their second floor windows. It's like living in a fish bowl.

I'm happy we sold our home. I was always waiting for something to break. The heating/taxes were too much. It's a big relief. But, a condo isn't a long term solution either.

Old 02-28-2021, 07:57 AM

When we were house shopping we had a list of must haves, on that list was that house have a deep/poured concrete basement and that the house be built after 1955. Well we got a stone foundation and 1938. When I tell you nothing was available I mean it, we made bids on other places and were outbid on multiple houses, and even those houses didnt check the boxes. I was more used to Michigan houses where I could easily find those things, Philly being older you end up in a row home if you go too cheap, or a big sprawling expensive place with high taxes where we landed.

Philly does have some awesome things near it though (drive to ocean/mountains etc) but I sure wish the east coast wasnt so dang expensive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
1938. That must have been a great year to build houses. My son rents one of those in South Jersey. When he was having an electrical problem, he followed the wires to a drywalled post in the basement. He found a nasty electrical connection from probably that decade and a section of tree trunk being used as a primary support. I have no idea how any of this passed inspection. Maybe I do.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:31 AM

357 posts, read 225,849 times
Quote:
When we were house shopping we had a list of must haves, on that list was that house have a deep/poured concrete basement and that the house be built after 1955. Well we got a stone foundation and 1938. When I tell you nothing was available I mean it, we made bids on other places and were outbid on multiple houses, and even those houses didnt check the boxes. I was more used to Michigan houses where I could easily find those things, Philly being older you end up in a row home if you go too cheap, or a big sprawling expensive place with high taxes where we landed.

Philly does have some awesome things near it though (drive to ocean/mountains etc) but I sure wish the east coast wasnt so dang expensive
When I read your various posts, I think of people who talk about constraints in project management. “You can have it quick, good, or cheap. Pick two,” or something like that.

I think your 3 are weather, taxes, and housing type—although you seem now to have discarded condo living.

Add your wife and her wishes into the mix, and it really gets interesting.

It’s great that we have this forum to kick around our ideas for relocation and retirement. I know I’ve learned a lot from posters here.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:36 AM

16,009 posts, read 7,063,214 times
Quote:
So we have upwards of $200,000 in equity in our house, the house is in a desirable school district that we will never use. My wife loves the house but I hate the high taxes (10 grand) and upkeep, we still owe $260,000 on mortgage as well.

I really want to push to sell house and buy smaller condo outright and enjoy no mortgage but I dont want to disappoint my wife.

Anyone go through similar
If you can afford the maintenance, stay. Do you want a happy wife or be mortgage free? The house is an investment which will only appreciate until she is ready for something else. That is where your taxes are going, to maintain its value and give you services.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:43 AM

Totally agree, I like bouncing ideas off others who may be in similar circumstances. My wife works for the airlines so we fly for free and I'd rather travel than pay for an expensive house. But I also want toplease my wife of nearly 30 years who generally seems to be right on issues...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceswithBeagles View Post
When I read your various posts, I think of people who talk about constraints in project management. “You can have it quick, good, or cheap. Pick two,” or something like that.

I think your 3 are weather, taxes, and housing type—although you seem now to have discarded condo living.

Add your wife and her wishes into the mix, and it really gets interesting.

It’s great that we have this forum to kick around our ideas for relocation and retirement. I know I’ve learned a lot from posters here.

Old 02-28-2021, 09:47 AM

There would be something to say about holding onto this house just for investment sake, Its already gone up in value close to $200,000 (well lets say $100,000 because we dumped a lot of money into it). A condo likely wouldnt go up in value but it would allolw me to live at less than half the monthly outgoing cost.

I loved my job in Michigan, not so much in PA which was one of the big reasons I wanted to be mortgage free so I could only work part time, or not at all. Decisions decisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
If you can afford the maintenance, stay. Do you want a happy wife or be mortgage free? The house is an investment which will only appreciate until she is ready for something else. That is where your taxes are going, to maintain its value and give you services.

Old 02-28-2021, 11:18 AM

16,009 posts, read 7,063,214 times
Quote:
There would be something to say about holding onto this house just for investment sake, Its already gone up in value close to $200,000 (well lets say $100,000 because we dumped a lot of money into it). A condo likely wouldnt go up in value but it would allolw me to live at less than half the monthly outgoing cost.

I loved my job in Michigan, not so much in PA which was one of the big reasons I wanted to be mortgage free so I could only work part time, or not at all. Decisions decisions

I feel your pain Quality of life versus realities of life. Have you considered all the costs - such as condo fees, fees for other services?

Old 02-28-2021, 11:33 AM

23,884 posts, read 33,621,189 times
Quote:

What airport does she fly out of? Philly?

Right now, staying in the house is making her happy but not you. It's not fair.

Best suggestion is stay where you are but find a smaller house.

You shouldn't be the one bending. Find another house cheaper then show her
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement