Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2021, 02:04 AM

3,105 posts, read 2,009,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I think you must mean nitrogen?
Okay, I'd like to inquire... should I be putting either of these (nitrogen, hydrogen) into my tires rather than air? What's the advantage? I have a small SUV, if that matters... Honda CRV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2021, 07:19 AM

4,144 posts, read 3,061,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
Okay, I'd like to inquire... should I be putting either of these (nitrogen, hydrogen) into my tires rather than air? What's the advantage? I have a small SUV, if that matters... Honda CRV.
Regular air is already 70% nitrogen. Just use regular air. Hydrogen molecules are really small. If you used hydrogen, it would quickly leak out. Also, hydrogen is flammable.

I check my tires once a month, and my spare at least a couple of times a year. The high pressure compact spares leak at a faster rate than regular tires. If you don't check it on a regular basis, it's likely to be flat should you need to use it. Keeping a canister of nitrogen at home so I could top off the tires would be a real hassle, with fewif any advantages.

Old 04-19-2021, 07:24 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,565,413 times
Good box of Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure #2 or Ramon Allones Specially Selected Cuban Cigars.

Old 04-19-2021, 07:34 AM

475 posts, read 407,419 times
Supposedly, pure nitrogen keeps tire pressure more stable, as in having to add air less often. Not a science guy, so I don't know.

Old 04-19-2021, 09:09 AM

3,377 posts, read 1,974,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Wow - thanks for mentioning - so many gorgeous colors...I could spend a lot of money!
I'm putting another order in today. I just checked their website (not Amazon) and if you spend $50 they don't charge shipping. I picked out five colors in a flash!

Old 04-19-2021, 09:11 AM

5,297 posts, read 7,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
.......snipped......... Currently, native flowers for my yard. I have way too many books. Used to collect antique textiles. I have lots of interests and not enough time left. Thank you all for sharing so much intimate, good information.
I consider these things to be splurges that I can ill afford but they make me happy.

Old 04-19-2021, 12:12 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,619,987 times
My current "splurge" is hanging baskets from HEB (Texas). I went nuts when they got the boston ferns in, and the majesty palms. Then of course I had to buy impatiens for color I lived in ABQ for 10 years and PHX for 3 years, so I'm making up for 13 years of no danged potted plants on the patio Also, the prices here are sooooooooo much better than the past 13 years: under $8 vs $20-$26. Here's its more like the prices I paid back when I lived in FL. The cats love the "jungle" I've created on the large patio my apartment has. Now that we're almost done with tax season, my next "splurge" will be investigating my new hometown, accompanied by a picnic lunch to check out the area parks.

Old 04-19-2021, 12:43 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,334,326 times
Chocolate dipped waffle cone cup, 2 scoops of decadent chocolate based ice cream topped with chocolate sauce. About 2 or 3 times a year.

Old 04-19-2021, 01:04 PM

8,742 posts, read 12,974,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Regular air is already 70% nitrogen. Just use regular air. Hydrogen molecules are really small. If you used hydrogen, it would quickly leak out. Also, hydrogen is flammable.
A minor nip, air is 79% nitrogen.

I agree with just use regular air. I think using nitrogen is a marketing ploy. The idea is air has humidity and 21% oxygen so with time it "oxidizes" your wheel rim (corrosion) that produces leaks to the tire. But we are talking a long period over 10 years or more. I had this happened to me on one of the rim but the car was over 20 years old. The rims looked old and rusty anyway. I ended up replacing all the rims.

Old 04-19-2021, 01:37 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,028,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcat22 View Post
I had to check out the definition of splurge since people are posting about free or very low cost things. It has been defined as spending freely or extravagantly. So technically some of this stuff isn’t really splurging...but I love that some of you don’t have to spend a lot to be happy and appreciate what other people would consider little things. In the end, it’s wonderful to want what you have rather than having what you want.
Same here. I've been scratching my head reading some of these comments. Examples such as drinking crappy alcohol to get a buzz on cheaply or DIY car maintenance to save money. Those are actually the antithesis of splurges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Maybe I have the wrong definition of "splurge."

To me the definition of splurge sort of comes with the connotation that the expenditure is more money -- a lot more money -- than I'd normally spend.
And it's something that doesn't happen often. And there's extra enjoyment or a "having a treat" nature to the purchase. But that's just me. And of course what's "a lot of money" to a person is relative.

I just don't think I'd even consider a purchase that's less than $50 as being a splurge.
For example, I'd never think:" I splurged on a manicure for $20. I would think: I splurged on a necklace for $350.

Actually, I take back the part about a splurge not happening often (then you get into the definition of "often") -- because I do say I splurged on sushi.....because all my sushi orders are close to $100. And I do that on average about 9-10 times. But I still consider that a splurge because I so look forward to it.
I partly agree and partly disagree with what you've written. A splurge by definition has to be something that one ordinarily doesn't spend money on. In addition to the examples I noted above, a couple people have posted about going to thrift stores as splurges. Again, buying something at a deeply discounted price is the antithesis of splurging.

However, I don't think a purchase or an action necessarily needs to be expensive to be a splurge. If you're normally a very frugal person who packs your own lunch when you go out for the day, then going out to eat one afternoon, even at a fast casual restaurant where the total cost might only be $10, could be a splurge. Or if you normally take a thermos of coffee with you, then stopping off at a Starbucks or similar establishment for a froufrou coffee drink could constitute a splurge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement