Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2021, 09:59 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I'm not sure about lowering it more then that because I think it will be the opposite of what I'm reading. It's saying people 50 to 60 are generally more healthy but that is not the case these days. I know many people in that age groups that are disabled like me from a bad back. There isn't any help for me so I don't use much of my insurances (Medicare and a BCBS Medigap) but someone else may just be starting out with needing surgeries.

If someone is disabled at 50 they can get SSI and medicare. Its the healthy ones that would benefit from say lowering it to 50.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2021, 06:25 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,642 times
Health insurance needs to be separated from jobs. Losing your job and insurance is a double whammy for most people. For older workers 50+, an important factor in the decision to fire/layoff older workers is health insurance cost to companies.

Last edited by 46H; 04-23-2021 at 06:36 PM..

Old 04-23-2021, 07:43 PM

161 posts, read 128,135 times
Lower it to 62 first. Most people are still able and willing to work in their 50's. Never made sense not to have it start at 62.

Old 04-23-2021, 07:49 PM

161 posts, read 128,135 times
The reality is that with medicare, you still need additional healthcare. Medicare + supplement , you need to budget about 600-1000 a month for a couple. Most people are not aware that medicare only covers 80%. One major open heart surgery can set you back by 20,000 without a supplement.

Old 04-23-2021, 10:13 PM

3,047 posts, read 3,313,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
Health insurance needs to be separated from jobs. Losing your job and insurance is a double whammy for most people. For older workers 50+, an important factor in the decision to fire/layoff older workers is health insurance cost to companies.
Make health insurance part of something YOU own, like life insurance, car insurance, home insurance, umbrella liability insurance. Need to have the company pay you the amount they spend on health insurance.
Maybe to make the policy work allow tax credit for the health insurance. Allow everyone to get HSA.

Old 04-23-2021, 10:18 PM

10,609 posts, read 5,647,123 times
They should raise the minimum age for SS from 62 to 70, and raise the minimum Medicare age to 70 as well.

Old 04-23-2021, 10:34 PM

6,913 posts, read 3,376,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
A version of Medicare should be available to anyone over 18yo.
Why? Medicare is paid for by many years of work - who is going to pay the 75% that is paid out of those funds. Obama care was supposed to be that version available to anyone if they choose. We already have Medicaid for those that NEED assistance and availability if permanently disabled.

Old 04-24-2021, 03:08 AM

6,769 posts, read 5,487,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dire Wolf View Post
Pretty sure it is a 2 year wait until SSDI folks are forced to Medicare. 6 months (or it might be 5) is the wait after onset of the disability until the SSDI starts paying.
I'd have to look it up, they may have changed it.

It WAS a 6mos. Delay after qualifying for SSDI.
I went on SSDI effective Sept 30,2002. My medicare began Mar 1,2003.

My best friend has similar back issues to me, I walked him through SSDI application and he was approved in 2013. His medicare started 6mos. Later like mine did.

If someone is collecting SSDI, which means they are medically needy, it would make NO SENSE to make them wait a full TWO YEARS for medical coverage!!

Asit is/was, a 6 mos. Wait can be a burden if they require medical coverage immediately.

Best to all as we grapple the stoopid (with two "o"s instead of a "u"!!) Health care industry this country has.

Old 04-24-2021, 03:32 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
I'd have to look it up, they may have changed it.

It WAS a 6mos. Delay after qualifying for SSDI.
I went on SSDI effective Sept 30,2002. My medicare began Mar 1,2003.

My best friend has similar back issues to me, I walked him through SSDI application and he was approved in 2013. His medicare started 6mos. Later like mine did.

If someone is collecting SSDI, which means they are medically needy, it would make NO SENSE to make them wait a full TWO YEARS for medical coverage!!

Asit is/was, a 6 mos. Wait can be a burden if they require medical coverage immediately.

Best to all as we grapple the stoopid (with two "o"s instead of a "u"!!) Health care industry this country has.

I applied for SSDI in July 2001, I was denied twice with my last appeal in December 2005 IIRC. I got my letter of approval in April 2006, my part A "started" December 2003, my part B is June 2006. I remember the dates of my last appeal because my dad had cancer, I couldn't see him in the hospital the day of the appeal. I know it was April when the letter came because he had passed away. I was nervous to open it because it was the final word.

Back then it didn't matter when it started because I had insurance through my hubs job which closed.

A lot of employers do not offer health insurance these days. My hubs company does not. They're a really large company too. They said that most employees did not need it because they have wives that work jobs that offer health insurance. I don't know how true that is.

It was a huge eye opener when I had to figure out how to shop for a prescription plan by putting all of my meds in.

Old 04-24-2021, 06:11 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
The plan proposed by Congressman Larson of Connecticut calls for a Medicare Buy-In so that it does not raise the premiums of those 65 and older. I agree with that option. It is a reality that many people, particularly those in fields undergoing rapid consolidation and streamlining due to technology, are losing their jobs in the 50 to 65 category. The COBRA cost for keeping their healthcare plan or finding a replacement is often well in excess of $1,000 a month along with large deductibles. A cost that hits just when their income is significantly reduced often at a time when they have dependent children in high school or entering college. Unfortunately, even for those fortunate enough to find employment (often at a reduced salary) they often find themselves in a similar position a few years later when the new company who hired them undergoes a similar process and they are laid off again.

The insurance should be separated from employment so that it is portable. Society is increasingly becoming portable with remote working and shifting of corporate headquarters. A more flexible national insurance option would benefit both employees and employers. I find it amazing how many so strongly oppose it when they are younger but the same people can't wait to be eligible as they approach 65 to reduce their expenses. Medicare for 50 and over is a good place to start. Both Republicans and Democrats should find a way to work out the issues to make it a reality. The existing insurers could play a role as administrators and providers of options for supplementals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement