Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2021, 03:30 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,559,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse69 View Post

With regard to your previous preference for younger men, just be aware that unless you are very youthful and attractive, you will most likely be dealing with men your age or older. It's not uncommon for older men to be with women 10+ years younger than they are.

Good luck
Thanks...I am still young looking, but certainly don't look 30...as I said, I am different now and no longer am attracted to young men...I think my appropriate age group is about 60 onward...I'm open to a certain extent but hope to find someone more in my general age group in order to share a life no longer so restricted by career, job, etc. Thanks for this response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2021, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
I second the posters who say go for it. Enjoy and enrich your life by adding someone to love. However, I do scratch my head when a perfectly fine relationship has to lead to marriage. Unless you plan on having kids (doubtful, no? LOL) enjoy the love in your life always, see them often, even live with them if you're especially compatible. Marriage? No.
I am in complete agreement there. Not interested in marriage in the least. More like "neighbors who visit" LOL
That is: "visit" and then go HOME.

Old 04-29-2021, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Not 70, only 69 3/4 and I will never ever get into a relationship again, ever, but do have a couple of FWB. That's good by me.
That's great, as long as you truly do treat those FWB as real friends...

Last edited by MagnoliaThunder; 04-29-2021 at 03:47 PM..

Old 04-29-2021, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
That is so sad. Those "adult" kids should be thinking about somebody's happiness other than their own. It's one thing to miss your mom, but completely different to deny happiness to your own father when he had many years ahead of him. It's not a tad selfish, it was very, VERY selfish. Had it been me, I would've told them that they have their lives and don't appreciate my setting conditions on their lives, and I deserve the same treatment from them.
I agree. My son is my best judge of character of anyone I might be interested in, but he totally supports me and would welcome a good person into my life and be happy for me. He doesn't like me to be alone LOL

Old 04-29-2021, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
One of the best things about being old is the ability to do as you please. You earned it. For as long as you can and to the best of your ability, have fun and enjoy your life. If that means finding a new partner, a FWB, or a new spouse, go for it. I would encourage you to get expert legal advice before making legal commitments. Marriage has more than a few drawbacks for older individuals.
Yep indeed. No legal commitments on the horizon for me, except for a Medical power of attorney, etc. for my son. Do not intend to be married again, did that once...However, if I found a great guy I would love a "commitment party" so we could wear some awesome outfits!

Old 04-29-2021, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTsnowbird View Post
I don't expect to ever find another romance; being a woman we greatly outnumber available men at this age. Numbers are against me. If it happens, fine. I would like to have someone to go out with, but marriage again - never. I don't think I could ever even live with someone.

Where I used to snowbird, there were two couples who were long-time residents. His wife and her husband both passed away around the same time and they got married about a year later. They were a very happy couple.

Just don't get involved with a romance scammer online!! Lol, I know you are too smart for that. Always amazes me how someone can "fall in love" when they have never met or even spoken in real time. Just text messages.
I am right there with you -- no marriage for me. Funny story - years ago my ex had to come up to Dallas to continue working at the post office after one of those hurricanes hit southeast Texas where he lives. He was a perfect house guest (we are on friendly terms after SO many years); the house I owned then had only 1 full bath and then a small half-bath. Every time my ex went into my full bathroom, I secretly "steamed" as I didn't like a MAN in my bathroom! Hahaha!
I think that even if I ever did live with or marry (again, not gonna happen), we would of necessity have to have TWO SEPARATE BATHROOMS.

Old 04-29-2021, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Free from the worries and cares of caring for a family, pursing a career, etc., it seems to me that romance after 70 can be as close to teen love as you are likely to find.
That sounds wonderful! So encouraging too...Thank you!

Old 04-29-2021, 03:45 PM

To all of you who have responded to my question, I thank you sincerely from the bottom of my heart. I have asked God for 30 more years, as I feel there is so much yet to do and see and be...and having a sweet love affair would be a lovely thing. Again, I appreciate all the stories and encouragement you have shared! We shall see where things go after I feel safer to get out and about again -- and to respond to someone here, no I will NOT be falling for anyone I happen to "meet" on an internet site...
Real life is interesting to me, in many ways, but a safe, in person meeting after a few interactions via email, etc. would be my preferred method. At this age, it's entirely okay to meet for coffee and then candidly discuss whether or not either of us feel any chemistry, etc. If not, we met nice people (us) and had a nice coffee date. Then moving on.

Old 04-29-2021, 10:44 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,302,097 times
The whole biological kids thing has likely passed me by. I don’t worry about inheritances and things of that nature.

I’d hope that, at that age bracket, I could find someone with enough common interests to spend the rest of my life with. We don’t need to be mirror images, but we have to have enough in common to be a couple.

Old 04-30-2021, 08:16 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallow Hal View Post
I second the posters who say go for it. Enjoy and enrich your life by adding someone to love. However, I do scratch my head when a perfectly fine relationship has to lead to marriage. Unless you plan on having kids (doubtful, no? LOL) enjoy the love in your life always, see them often, even live with them if you're especially compatible. Marriage? No.
I agree with your viewpoint. I've been widowed for 13 years and I'm used to living alone now. I can't see sharing my space with someone on a 24/7 basis, but frequent visits would be nice. OTOH, my widowed Mom got remarried at 73 to a 74 YO widower she met at square dancing and they were a very happy couple. Even my old Granny had Pop-Pop, who I later found out were only "shacked up" and never married. They were both in their 80's, and good on them, I sez!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement