Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 11:01 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,274,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Maybe he has a second wife and kids somewhere and is living a double life. Then again maybe I watch too many Lifetime movies
oh had not thought of that

And it happens. Even in my small town, I can think of three men that had other families in the "city"

The stories would come out after they passed away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 11:07 AM

14,950 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart_Nerd View Post
My retired father told me that his favorite thing in the world is a road map. He just loves to look at a road map of the states and pick out interesting looking Towns, State Parks, Historic Sites, and Natural Geographic Features. After he identifies what spot on the map he goes on YOUTUBE to see if there are any interesting videos on the place and watches them.

By the next day after a careful review of the road map, he is all excited to get in the car and drive there and bum around. He makes videos for YOUTUBE of the places he visits. He tells me he runs into all kinds of other senior citizens bumming around too. They chat and enjoy themselves.

My mother, also a retired senior citizen, thinks my Dad's reviews of road maps and drives to random cities, parks, and historic sites are just complete madness. "This is just insane," she keeps saying. She tells friends that Dad has gone crazy with all these drives out of town. Because Mom has absolutely no interest in going on these car trips, Dad goes alone. When he returns Mom starts screaming at him for wasting his time, burning out the car engine on needless trips, and spending too much money on gasoline. Dad does about one or two out-of-town trips per week.

As a retired senior citizen, what do you think of Dad's trips to various spots he picks out on a map and Mom's strong belief that it is a complete waste of time?

I think it's a great thing to do- not insane at all, IMO. It keeps his mind and body active, and IMO there is nothing better than visiting a place you are curious about but have never been, and you never know what you're going to find.

It's too bad your mother is not on board with this.

Old 05-10-2021, 11:26 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,905,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperhobbs View Post
Maybe he has a second wife and kids somewhere and is living a double life. Then again maybe I watch too many Lifetime movies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
oh had not thought of that

And it happens. Even in my small town, I can think of three men that had other families in the "city"

The stories would come out after they passed away.
I always wondered how someone could afford to have two families.

Old 05-10-2021, 12:31 PM

8,815 posts, read 21,280,851 times
~~~~~~~~

Wait. Really ? I LOVE this guy .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 05-10-2021, 01:00 PM

119 posts, read 59,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
If my wife acted like this I'd look for an escape as well. Why on Earth should he not be allowed to do what he enjoys?

Amen!

Old 05-10-2021, 01:08 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,682,916 times
I know a guy who has been taking car trips "rides to nowhere" for years and he isn't even retired yet. It's great. He gets someone to go with him and off they go! They may end up in Vermont at a place that sells great pastries or home made cheese or they could end up at an old time diner in some place they've never been before.

It's a wonderful, adventuresome hobby. I think the mom here needs to get a life. She could find things to do on her own like her church interests or some other outlets that she enjoys. She shouldn't stop the dad from his own hobby.

Things do change when you're retired. You get to do more of what you want to do. Dad's interest is a healthy one and he should be encouraged to keep on with it. If mom isn't interested, she should find her own interests but let him have his interest too.

Last edited by in_newengland; 05-11-2021 at 09:29 AM..

Old 05-10-2021, 01:32 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
If my DW yells at me, that much I’d do trips too.
I took a COVID trip in April. It was planned. Saved up for it.
I plan on doing a local trip with local transportation.

Old 05-10-2021, 01:43 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
And, yes, the wife needs to join him (unless he's doing it partially to escape her).

Old 05-10-2021, 01:45 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
We do it all the time. It's one of the great freedoms of not being tethered to a job and kids.

Your dad should keep it up if he enjoys it.

And to be honest, your mom needs to chill. As his life partner, perhaps she could find a way to support something he takes great pleasure in and perhaps even join him from time to time.

Old 05-10-2021, 02:19 PM

11,129 posts, read 9,760,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogarven View Post
With the Covid situation, we haven't been out of town for a year and a half even though the state has been pretty open for the last several months. I haven't wanted to go anywhere as the places will probably be closed or not fully operational.

It sounds interesting to me ; however, twice in a week seems a bit extreme. I can see the wife's concern about the car but other than that, why not?

My wife is handicapped and the last several trips have had drama because of that. I am contemplating a short trip in the near future to a city about 80 miles away to visit a colleague and a friend. Will probably be gone all day but it will be a good time to get away.

My wife and I are not joined at the hip and even at home, spend a lot of time at opposite ends of the house.
I don't see why it would be concerning. I used to drive 90 miles a day round trip to work, 5 days a week, for years. My car lasted 18 years and I sold it for over blue book. A properly maintained vehicle can certainly tolerate a couple of day trips a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement