Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 10:49 AM

16,151 posts, read 10,833,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Same.

Officially retired two weeks (off work one month) and hating it. No apologies, however...

Following.
What do you hate about it? If someone was a successful problem solver or planner in their work life then they should be able to apply those same skills to retirement and create a successful retirement life. That might include part-time work or volunteer work. This is limited by one's imagination, physical ability, and resources.

The transition to being retired can be challenge because deadlines and productivity expectations are no longer as important. My calendar is a bit depressing when compared to pre-retirement because it has mostly blank spaces and doctor appointments. I have a new fitness center near me so maybe, If I get motivated enough, I can fill in some of those blank days. But blank days are okay.

One thing new that retirees are faced with is a super-abundance of spousal time. That can be good or bad. I was a loving and devoted husband, but...if you go from a social/work circle of a dozen or more friends and coworkers to a two-person enclosed space with limited social outlets, you might need to find some personal space. My wife and I both got part-time jobs with different schedules. My schedule gave me a four-day weekend every week while hers gave her Tuesday and Thursday off so we had Thursdays together for day trips or special shopping or whatever we wanted. She had Tuesday on her own and I had Friday. We had weekends together as we always had. We could take time off for trips or some special event, if needed, by juggling work hours. We both enjoyed the PT jobs that we had.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement