Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 05:43 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times

Advertisements

I've had a good friend ever since 1957, we did a lot of traveling together, foreign and domestic, and she's gone Q crazy and scolds me for being so ignorant. I can't even have a rational conversation with her anymore, so I'm limiting my calls to her every 6 months. And this has been going on for 4-5 years now. All I can do is hope and pray!

I'm the lone wolf in my family, Gay, and a Tantric Buddhist (35 years now) surrounded by not just any Christians, but the evangelical types. And a few of them are dying to convert me.

Politics? I'm sure your guesses are right on target!

And how about your grandkids? Nieces? Nephews?

Last edited by tijlover; 07-09-2022 at 06:08 AM..

Old 07-09-2022, 06:19 AM

8,755 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Yes.

Old 07-09-2022, 06:23 AM

6,294 posts, read 4,191,093 times
Yes, one friend became extreme and subscribed to q theories and misinformation and I dropped her like a hot brick. I guess she forgot when she was insulting immigrants and people that are “other” one way or another that she was also insulting me. Or maybe she didn’t forget. It was like an alien took over her body.

Old 07-09-2022, 07:24 AM

4,344 posts, read 4,717,731 times
It will only interfere if you let it interfere. If people are this ignorant I just cut them out of my life and let them know why. I don’t have time for that.

Old 07-09-2022, 07:40 AM

3,297 posts, read 3,021,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post
Yes, one friend became extreme and subscribed to q theories and misinformation and I dropped her like a hot brick. I guess she forgot when she was insulting immigrants and people that are “other” one way or another that she was also insulting me. Or maybe she didn’t forget. It was like an alien took over her body.
This was my experience exactly, I had to cut ties with someone I had considered a good friend for five years. I don't mind differing views, but she was no longer the person I had known, it was like the pod people had invaded her brain and she couldn't carry on a normal conversation any longer.

Old 07-09-2022, 07:43 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
It is a little bit. Not with me but with my husband's family. He just took a trip to visit them. While visiting, they all caught COVID. Immediately other family members started offering my FIL (a 78 y/o cardiac patient) their stash of Ivermectin. I don't have a problem with someone taking that if their doctor prescribes it to them, but they were all in some conspiracy mindset when I think my FIL should have just called his doctor. I wanted my husband to stay there and ride out his illness versus coming home with it, but after several nights of, in my husband's words of "Tucker Carlson blaring" and the BIL raging against the government until midnight each night, he couldn't take it anymore.

This last visit definitely bothered him and my husband would never broach the subject with them, but it's hard not to change your opinions on people when this stuff comes out.

Old 07-09-2022, 07:50 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,306,900 times
For the few religious nuts and extreme political nuts in my family, we're learned to avoid discussion of those topics.

In Colorado Springs we had neighbors all around us who were "religious" and when they discovered we were not in their tribe, they ignored us.

Here in California, among fellow heathens we're fine. We have great weather and excellent wine.

Old 07-09-2022, 07:55 AM

43,059 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Not in the least but that is because no one wants to discuss those topics..."too much drama" is what they say or they just don't care enough.

Too much apathy and/or silence may be why our country is in the state it's in.

Old 07-09-2022, 08:10 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Guests who bring up politics in our home find out very quickly that we have declared our home as a "politics free zone." Our friends learn from this and don't bring up politics when we are around. In fact, several have adopted the same policy. (Religion has NEVER been a point of uncomfortable discussions. )

For many years, we belonged (and enjoyed!) being part of a bi-monthly dinner group. During the Trump years, one me,ber repeatedly brought up politics. We repeatedly asked him to stop, we spoke with his wife (who put the group together in the first place), and spoke with him privately. Other members spoke with him. Eventually, we privately told him that we would quit if this continued.

The day came when he proposed a toast for a pre-celebration of a presidential assassination. THAT goes beyond politics into the death of another human being. We quietly got up from the table, apologized to the hosts, and never returned. (The group disbanded after one more meal.)

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 07-09-2022 at 08:29 AM..

Old 07-09-2022, 08:24 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Yes, I simply change the subject or otherwise find a way to avoid political discussions with certain friends or family. I have one sister who has similar political views to mine, and we have two other sisters who see things differently. However, one is somewhat moderate, while the other has made sick jokes about shooting a former president during hunting season and has some out-there conspiracy beliefs. I just won't engage.

None of my siblings are religious. The sin/death/hell-focused church of our childhood made sure of that with its Angry Giant Jesus scowling down at us from the stained-glass window. But I have one friend who became born-again in her adult life and got a bit out of hand with it, sending me messages that a vote for one candidate was a vote for God and a vote for the other was a vote for the devil. I like her. We were friends since childhood, and she seems happy in her church and met her nice husband there. But I am not going to allow myself to be swept into that type of conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement