Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2021, 01:24 AM

11,024 posts, read 7,882,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
Then you don’t understand happiness or purpose. There is no happiness without purpose and productivity. And if you look back at what made you happy, and introspect, it will result from getting something DONE. Productivity means doing things that accomplish rational goals. The only point in being “cancer free” is being able to continue being productive and accomplishing things.
Really? That may be true for you but, fortunately, you don't get to be the benchmark for the life of anyone but yourself.

If getting something DONE includes enjoying a beach, a bit of music, a nice meal or a sunset while exerting virtually no effort in some way meets your definition then we simply have a failure to communicate otherwise I must disagree completely. Those things are "goal" enough for me and make me quite unapologetically happy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2021, 03:17 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,083,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Really? That may be true for you but, fortunately, you don't get to be the benchmark for the life of anyone but yourself.

If getting something DONE includes enjoying a beach, a bit of music, a nice meal or a sunset while exerting virtually no effort in some way meets your definition then we simply have a failure to communicate otherwise I must disagree completely. Those things are "goal" enough for me and make me quite unapologetically happy.
Actually, not entirely true. There are objective factors of happiness that are universal. Productivity and love are known to be fundamental. But we also need to consider age. As one gets older, the scope of life shrinks and one must be satisfied with fewer and more modest goals. Just a function of diminished energy, health, time remaining to exist, and other reduced potentials. At that point, happiness probably shifts and one might be content with just existing in some degree of comfort. But when you look at life in total, happiness entails being productive and exerting effort and making things happen. Sunsets aren’t sufficient when you are 20 and building your empire. The old saying “you are what you do” comes to mind. You’ve got to be accomplishing SOMETHING, even if you are 90 and the exit is in plain sight.

Last edited by Marc Paolella; 10-06-2021 at 03:27 AM..

Old 10-06-2021, 08:50 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,160,827 times
Now.

Old 10-06-2021, 09:00 AM

19,945 posts, read 9,504,933 times
Now (except for the pandemic).

Living in our dream home in a beautiful area, great marriage, good health, no money worries, good health. (Knock wood -- I just HOPE that this continues.)

Sure, I wish I was younger in body, looks and energy level -- and the ability to do many things that require more physical fitness than I currently have -- but what I had and my life at 18, for example, compared to my life now? No doubt about it. I am MUCH happier now.

Old 10-06-2021, 09:28 AM

8,318 posts, read 3,958,535 times
Quote:
Then you don’t understand happiness or purpose. There is no happiness without purpose and productivity. And if you look back at what made you happy, and introspect, it will result from getting something DONE. Productivity means doing things that accomplish rational goals. The only point in being “cancer free” is being able to continue being productive and accomplishing things.
What you posted here sums up the mindset of the modern Western world - dualistic and rational. This was absolutely essential for the development of our industrial society, it has been drilled into us since the late 1800's and the beginning of the Industrial Revolution. We are taught from birth that continuous striving to achieve the next goal is the way to happiness and prosperity.

I would contend that this is not the natural human state, and in fact this is the main reason why we see so many people struggling with depression and anxiety in our culture. We have lives that are essentially out of balance.

Old 10-06-2021, 10:03 AM

8,149 posts, read 7,527,147 times
1969 was great for me. I turned 9 and the Miracle Mets won the World Series, we had landed on the Moon, and Progress was still regarded as a good thing.

The 1980's were good, too. I struck out on my own, bought a new car, started my career, and it was cool to be an American again.

Old 10-06-2021, 02:26 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,155,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
What you posted here sums up the mindset of the modern Western world - dualistic and rational. This was absolutely essential for the development of our industrial society, it has been drilled into us since the late 1800's and the beginning of the Industrial Revolution. We are taught from birth that continuous striving to achieve the next goal is the way to happiness and prosperity.

I would contend that this is not the natural human state, and in fact this is the main reason why we see so many people struggling with depression and anxiety in our culture. We have lives that are essentially out of balance.
Not sure about absolutely essential because we could have developed in a wiser way.

Seems Mark P is the voice of "the man," the voice of subservience to power, the voice of one way, the only way.

Old 10-06-2021, 03:27 PM

11,124 posts, read 6,713,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post

Rep to you! I couldn't have said it better. My happiness is strolling the beach and observing Nature. Sand crab antics, diving pelicans, gliding frigate birds, yellow parakeets....even the hang gliders.

No productivity required at this point. Been there, done that and have the arthritis to prove it!

Old 10-06-2021, 03:29 PM

Quote:
No I won’t because I know that purpose is self-generated and a function and value in our lives only while we are living it. There is no intrinsic purpose, and being on a deathbed will not change that reality or perspective. Purpose in living is vital to happiness, even though we are temporary. In fact, because of it.
You should hook up with Rick Warren: "The Purpose-Driven Life". I hear it's a best seller!

He should know, with all the bucks he's scored from the .....congregation.

Old 10-06-2021, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuggy View Post

Being productive is the last thing I would consider as being the best days of my life, there are too many other things that enriched my life made them the best days and the list is too long. One of the very best days however was when my oncologist told me I am cancer free. Everyday , even with the difficulties and challenges life throws is the best of days.
Congratulations, Spuggy! That surely deserves a "best day" designation. What a scare! Overcoming debilitating health issues makes you really appreciate life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement