Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 12:40 PM

12,062 posts, read 10,271,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Possibly Puerto Penasco, aka Rocky Point.
yes! That is it!

Old 11-09-2021, 01:52 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
When it comes to neighbors and making friends, we are in the wrong place. Certainly exacerbated by the pandemic. Our neighbors are friendly and talkative, and nuts...... we are too far out in the country to have meetups or anything be an option.

BUT, I only need a few friends, I'm not super social. We add a couple people here and there, and I'm pretty good with that. I feel confident that once the pandemic is gone we will find some people we want to socialize with.

Plus, family comes here, and we go there on a pretty regular basis, and they are definitely my "tribe."
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 11-09-2021, 02:16 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
Get involved in local politics. When I was a child we moved to a small town in a farm community, didn't know anyone, but my parents always went to town meetings and school board meetings. We also went to church and met people at fundraisers.

Old 11-09-2021, 02:37 PM

I worked in politics.... nope, ain't doing that in retirement.

Old 11-09-2021, 02:48 PM

10,895 posts, read 7,386,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
We are pretty sure this is how our dog got poisoned. He is fine now, but it was frightening and could have ended in his death.

We use snap traps and mouseX (cause we have mice, they make RatX too), will kill the mouse or rat, but not dogs, birds etc if they eat the mouse/rats.
We use "Walk the Plank" mouse traps and "Dunk the Rat" traps. They're self-resetting traps that drop the rodents into water, where they drown. No poison, so we toss the corpses out for coyotes, etc. to eat.

Old 11-09-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
We use "Walk the Plank" mouse traps and "Dunk the Rat" traps. They're self-resetting traps that drop the rodents into water, where they drown. No poison, so we toss the corpses out for coyotes, etc. to eat.
We made a dunk the rat trap, and while brilliant, just wasn't working for our situation.

Our first year here we saw lots of mice, not any this year so far. I don't know if it is due to the pellets or just something that would have happened anyway.

We went on a winter trip last year, and a mouse was in the house, nibbled a bunch of pantry items and a drawer full of towels. It seemed like it had to be a bunch, but we caught one, and never any trouble since. But I freaked out and put traps everywhere and pellets. I think we only caught one more in the outdoor grilling area.

Old 11-09-2021, 03:11 PM

166 posts, read 156,740 times
We've always lived in a neighborhood amongst wealthy people. Since we bought 20 acres and built a small modest home (though we do not live there yet) we already feel like residents. We've been going up there to cycle for years, and sometimes to church. The difference? Yes there are some vacation homes but hte people are not wealthy. They rely on one another. No cell service most places, internet is possible in some homes but none seem that into it. They go outside, talk to each other, visit each other.
It's how it should be.
Right now we are amongst ALL wealthy people as usual. There is maybe 2 Rentals in a town of 100 people. However we get tourists alot, and 50% of the homes here are vacation homes.Richer people are different. They have many hang ups, and an ego to deal with. Not all of course.

We have friends here but it's much more superficial. Just as it's always been. I have people to go and do things with, much more than I would in the tiny off grid town where we built the house. I will miss that the most. we have more friends here but more people are here. It but it took almost 3 yrs for them to trust us.

As a group, I prefer poor people, Not necessarily working poor but those who are very very frugal and independent. Outdoorsy types. They are more real. A mix of friends is best imho

Old 11-09-2021, 03:13 PM

166 posts, read 156,740 times
Quote:
When it comes to neighbors and making friends, we are in the wrong place. Certainly exacerbated by the pandemic. Our neighbors are friendly and talkative, and nuts...... we are too far out in the country to have meetups or anything be an option.

BUT, I only need a few friends, I'm not super social. We add a couple people here and there, and I'm pretty good with that. I feel confident that once the pandemic is gone we will find some people we want to socialize with.

Plus, family comes here, and we go there on a pretty regular basis, and they are definitely my "tribe."
You are so blessed to have family. We have very little family hence why friends are so important. If it's ok to ask, did you recently move to your location?

Old 11-09-2021, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnProbation View Post
You are so blessed to have family. We have very little family hence why friends are so important. If it's ok to ask, did you recently move to your location?
Yes, my family is a blessing, I adore them. I have a tendency to create and adopt "families", personally I only have my Mom and sis. But the group includes my late husband's family (about 100), my husband's mom and sis, and my sister's husband's family.

We moved here in Dec. 2019, just in time for the pandemic. If I didn't have family one state over..... I would probably be pretty down right now. But we did choose a location to retire that would be close to them.

Plus, I AM particular with who I choose to spend time with, we are not church people, neither contribute to our social life.

Old 11-09-2021, 04:53 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Quote:
We are pretty sure this is how our dog got poisoned. He is fine now, but it was frightening and could have ended in his death.

We use snap traps and mouseX (cause we have mice, they make RatX too), will kill the mouse or rat, but not dogs, birds etc if they eat the mouse/rats.

I assure you no dog has ever been in our yard, because "dog" is synonymous with "bobcat lunch" where we live. People keep their dogs at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.