Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2021, 11:08 AM

11,083 posts, read 6,667,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I agree about real life. No horror story I have ever read or watched is as bad as a classroom full of elementary students watching the space shuttle their teacher is on blow up.
That's the truth! I still get tears in my eyes whenever it's shown again.

Story-telling is kind of a lost art in our modern times. There's too much reliance on videos or special effects, but listening to this guy tell a story with very minimal photos or sound, lets your imagination fill in the blanks like when you read. For some reason, it is totally engaging. It doesn't look like he needs notes, even.

Quite amazing and addictive. The places people get STUCK, for example, is just unbelievable. Latest one, a guy put his head down a rabbit hole "just to look". Was found like that days later. Sheesh!

Here's what you learn: NO forests, NO caves, NO water, NO small spaces. NO CAVE DIVING, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2021, 01:41 PM

23,353 posts, read 18,943,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Here's what you learn: NO forests, NO caves, NO water, NO small spaces. NO CAVE DIVING, lol.
Learn that lesson too well and allow yourself to be scared by every little possibility leads to a very boring (but safe) life. No thank you! I'm not a big risk taker but really. Scared by a forest? Water? Small spaces? Just because some horrific one-off event suggested you should avoid it? Are you serious? Next step could be getting too scared to leave the house. Oh, but houses aren't always safe either. How many tragic accidents (not to mention how many horror movies) could happen right in your own home?

Old 10-30-2021, 03:41 PM

10,108 posts, read 6,455,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Learn that lesson too well and allow yourself to be scared by every little possibility leads to a very boring (but safe) life. No thank you! I'm not a big risk taker but really. Scared by a forest? Water? Small spaces? Just because some horrific one-off event suggested you should avoid it? Are you serious? Next step could be getting too scared to leave the house. Oh, but houses aren't always safe either. How many tragic accidents (not to mention how many horror movies) could happen right in your own home?
Oh geez, that makes me think of the Life Alert commercial with the woman lying on the basement floor and the screen fading to black.

Old 10-31-2021, 05:45 AM

4,150 posts, read 3,069,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
That's the truth! I still get tears in my eyes whenever it's shown again.

Story-telling is kind of a lost art in our modern times. There's too much reliance on videos or special effects, but listening to this guy tell a story with very minimal photos or sound, lets your imagination fill in the blanks like when you read. For some reason, it is totally engaging. It doesn't look like he needs notes, even.

Quite amazing and addictive. The places people get STUCK, for example, is just unbelievable. Latest one, a guy put his head down a rabbit hole "just to look". Was found like that days later. Sheesh!

I like how Mr. Ballen clearly labels his pictures, so that you always know which pictures are general pictures and which pictures are of the actual location.

Old 10-31-2021, 03:19 PM

12,054 posts, read 8,449,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
That's a great one! Ray Bradbury wrote some goodies too.
Was going to say to read his short story, "The Jaunt," and lo and behold it's a Stephen King story. Sure has the feel of a Bradbury.

That one will haunt you a few days, like forever, maybe.

Old 10-31-2021, 07:19 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,291,101 times
I remember the sinkhole story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement