Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2021, 05:26 PM

2,079 posts, read 2,408,502 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueworld View Post

A dislike of Halloween isn't "because you are an adult" rather than a child. I borderline-hated it even as a child. There was nothing fun about having to layer a coat, hat and gloves over a costume (even though the other kids didn't), then going door to door like a poor child begging for food, only to be given candy that I couldn't even eat most of because I was allergic to nuts, chocolate, dairy, and wheat ingredients. I think the only allergy-safe things were candy corn and those little rolls of sugar wafers.
Halloween was my favorite holiday as a child but I know what you mean about begging for food. After my parents divorced, we lived with my mom in a poor neighborhood where few gave out candy on Halloween. We five kids would make ourselves cheap homemade costumes such as a white sheet with holes for eyes and go as a ghost and trick or treat in nicer neighborhoods. Sometimes there would be some snide comments about the costumes and that we did not live in that neighborhood so why were we there? My older brothers never cared but it hurt my feelings. Now I live in one of those nicer neighborhoods (with very few children) and about 200-400 kids, mostly from the barrio, trick or treat here. I enjoy it and buy lots of candy so feel like I am giving back. My neighborhood, one of the oldest in the city, is very generous and considers it a tradition but a few are not so happy about it and consider it a nuisance.

This year six houses on my block are getting together and handing out candy in one neighbor's driveway. We will have separate tables and candy but will also have wine and appetizers for ourselves. This is our first big get together since COVID started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2021, 06:12 PM

89,033 posts, read 85,593,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQ2015 View Post
Halloween was my favorite holiday as a child but I know what you mean about begging for food. After my parents divorced, we lived with my mom in a poor neighborhood where few gave out candy on Halloween. We five kids would make ourselves cheap homemade costumes such as a white sheet with holes for eyes and go as a ghost and trick or treat in nicer neighborhoods. Sometimes there would be some snide comments about the costumes and that we did not live in that neighborhood so why were we there? My older brothers never cared but it hurt my feelings. Now I live in one of those nicer neighborhoods (with very few children) and about 200-400 kids, mostly from the barrio, trick or treat here. I enjoy it and buy lots of candy so feel like I am giving back. My neighborhood, one of the oldest in the city, is very generous and considers it a tradition but a few are not so happy about it and consider it a nuisance.

This year six houses on my block are getting together and handing out candy in one neighbor's driveway. We will have separate tables and candy but will also have wine and appetizers for ourselves. This is our first big get together since COVID started.
That sounds like fun.

Old 10-30-2021, 06:37 PM

8,761 posts, read 9,509,510 times
As with some others, Halloween was my favorite Holiday as a child and as an adult. I was very sad when I started to realize I was too old to be out in the neighborhood trick or treating and for many years after, it became just a day for handing out candy to the kids who came around; that was till I started in my mid 20's working and managing retail stores where we had a chance to act out and dress up again. The kids were still the priority, but, it was fun to leave my comfort zone of adult life at least once a year.

As far as the other holidays, TG and Christmas, I avoid at all cost as there are just too many sad memories for when since those I usually celebrated with passed on long ago. I start thinking of them and cry uncontrollably. I've joined in with others via invitations and sometimes it did help, but, the over commercialization and constant reminders all around just make it unbearable which is one of the reasons, I'm usually gone out of the country by the time TG rolls around. Anyway more on my enjoyment of Halloween below.

My farorite Halloween years as an adult were in my 50s till my last time getting dressed up back around 2015 when I lived in Sarasota Florida, where they blocked of areas of downtown for a huge block party. I imagine now with covid, they don't go all out. One of my groups would have a part of one club where we gathered for the earlier part of the evening.

Some pics from 2012 to 2014 Halloween parties in Sarasota Fl

My fav was my bloody nurse, so many stopped and asked to take pictures with me in that one, even a police officer was giving compliments when she got out of squad car. My costumes were all made from scratch by me.

Just sharing to show how we did it in my city, everyone from all walks of life participated and had great fun. Not for many, but, it was great fun for us old and young alike.
Attached Thumbnails
Giving up holiday celebrations in retirement-halloween4.jpg   Giving up holiday celebrations in retirement-halloween1.jpg   Giving up holiday celebrations in retirement-halloween-nurse1.jpg   Giving up holiday celebrations in retirement-halloween2.jpg  

Old 10-30-2021, 06:44 PM

23,010 posts, read 6,483,318 times
Neither our children nor grandchildren live nearby. I decorate for the holidays for my own enjoyment.

Old 10-30-2021, 06:48 PM

5,592 posts, read 8,453,735 times
Haven't read all 7 pages but I may be the only one who feels this way: I don't like Halloween. As a kid, I wasn't really into candy to begin with. But as an adult, for some reason Halloween stresses me out. Especially if I'm invited to a party. I'm not creative so I can never think of a good costume. (I envy those who can do so, especially when it's homemade.) And I absolutely hate when people come up to you and expect you to guess who they are. Maybe it's the same reason I don't like circuses and clowns. Too chaotic? I don't know the psychological reason behind my quirks.

Old 10-30-2021, 06:49 PM

37,823 posts, read 46,367,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueworld View Post
Actually two of my relatives felt exactly like that about Halloween (that trick or treating is like kids begging from door to door.) They were both British though, born and raised in England, and living there as adults too although one of them had a career that involved international traveling. As someone else here mentioned, Halloween is not done the same way in England as here, when it comes to that part of it. So they both regarded the trick or treat thing as rather distasteful. I remember the first time I heard that, and thinking that it was indeed very similar (shades of Oliver Twist maybe) and that was just one more reason why I didn't like doing it. In addition to the costume-covering and can't-eat-the-candy issues. There was really no upside in trick or treating for me, LOL
Actually Halloween is very popular in England now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abLw...annel=TheKewes

https://www.halloweenangel.com/2016/...ing-begin.html
Lots of people mistakenly think that the Halloween custom of trick or treating started or originated in America, then spread more recently to other countries such as the UK.

This trick or treating custom, however, is a very traditional one. It is actually steeped in British history and originates from the UK. It was a tradition that went over to America with the first settlers who went there.

Old 10-30-2021, 08:23 PM

1,092 posts, read 839,296 times
With us, it is not just a retirement thing. When kids were younger, we lived on the edge of town, had neighbors & their kids. There was also a small subdivision near, so we had trick or treaters. My kids trick or treated while small, then took up stuff like shaving cream fights & bottle rockets (Halloween, Christmas & New Year) with friends. We all loved it. Then we moved to a very rural spot. This happened about the same time the kids got grown & flown. There were a very few kids up & down our road. They grew up & away also. So, we were sort of eased into no Halloween. For us this is not just a retirement thing, but a "kids grown & out of the house" thing. NONE of the holidays seem the same without little ones. Our kids are 49, 47 & 45. Grands are also same as grown (ages 25, 21, 21, 18 17). We still enjoy getting together birthdays, mother's & father's day, thanksgiving & christmas, but the adult atmosphere is not near the fun as all the kids running, playing & all hyped up about whatever the holiday might be. I must have been doing a lot of stuff, including decorations for "the kids," because there is now very little of that done either. I still like the "holidays," but I guess we have just "outgrown" some of the fun trappings.

Old 10-30-2021, 08:33 PM

12,068 posts, read 10,356,529 times
Well my favorite holiday is Thanksgiving.

I love turkey and dressing. Thank goodness a small restaurant in our small town will be selling that next week

I just have to have it!! LOL

I call it institutional turkey and dressing. They kind of mix it all together. The turkey, dressing and gravy and then have several sides. Mmmmm

Old 10-30-2021, 09:38 PM

7,443 posts, read 4,774,301 times
Kathryn, I used the same dog costumes every year. I had 4 Maltese at the time and my son had 2 dogs that were huge. No one wore headgear. The neighbor kids just loved it.

Old 10-30-2021, 09:44 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,120,297 times
I live in a high rise. Before covid every year there was a sign up sheet posted for anyone who welcomed trick or treaters on Halloween. I like the children in our building. They won't be able to trick.or treat here for 2 years in a row now.

Halloween was fun for me growing up. Fun for my daughter, too. I don't decorate but always got good candy for the trick or treaters and for me. I like to watch the old horror movies with Vincent Price, Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing around Halloween. They're not gory at all. Basically good against evil and good always wins.

I I like the holidays, getting together with friends and family, good food, good times.

Happy Halloween to all halloweenies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement